Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR vrs. LR - RAW conversions a concern  (Read 3557 times)

EarlyMan

ACR vrs. LR - RAW conversions a concern
« on: September 27, 2006, 11:59:32 am »

Hi All-
Today I converted a RAW file from lightroom and opened it in CS2. It shows a straight metal windshield frame at a slight angle. At 100% magnification, there appeared considerable jaggies. This concerned me, so I opened the same RAW in ACR and converted using all the same parameters.

Frankly, the difference was like night and day. Nearly no jaggies on the ACR conversion. I have screen captures of both. (Hopefully, I have attached them properly).

I know that Adobe will refine the program with regards to speed, etc. before version 1.0 ships. Would it be safe to assume that the RAW converter will also be tweaked?

(BTW, I have also posted this message in the Adobe LR bug forum).

E-

(Left image - LR.  Right image - ACR)

[attachment=984:attachment][attachment=986:attachment]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:02:39 pm by EarlyMan »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 12:22:51 pm »

What settings did you use in the detail section?

Did you use cropping or straightening?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

EarlyMan

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 12:28:09 pm »

Hi -

After some more experimentation, I am happy to say that I found the cause of the jaggies in the LR processed RAW image.

I dragged the sharpen slider from its default setting of 25 down to zero, then reprocessed the file.  The LR image now matches the ACR image nearly 100%.

I'm amazed that a 25% setting could make that much difference.  If you want to avoid sharpening artifacts in your LR processed RAW images, and you don't want to sharpen in another program after the fact, I suggest some experimentation with this tool, as it has profound effect, to say the least!

E-

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:33:22 pm »

Hi -

After some more experimentation, I am happy to say that I found the cause of the jaggies in the LR processed RAW image.

I dragged the sharpen slider from its default setting of 25 down to zero, then reprocessed the file.  The LR image now matches the ACR image nearly 100%.

I'm amazed that a 25% setting could make that much difference.  If you want to avoid sharpening artifacts in your LR processed RAW images, and you don't want to sharpen in another program after the fact, I suggest some experimentation with this tool, as it has profound effect, to say the least!

E-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77997\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then this may well be the cropping bug. The default shouldn't have that much effect. The default should look quite similar to ACR. I also noticed you have some color aliasing. What setting did you use for the Denoise parameter? The default of 25 is relatively high, and should certainly be able to deal with the color-aliasing.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up