Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony a7III Review Just Published  (Read 6069 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Sony a7III Review Just Published
« on: March 05, 2018, 04:25:26 pm »

I had the privilege last week to spend several days with fellow press and internet content providers working with the NEW Sony a7III in Las Vegas.  Rumors had us believing there would be a new a7 III but we weren't prepared for how much Sony packed into the camera, especially for the price.   Sony improved on their previous models taking the best from the Sony a9 and a7RIII and introduced the a7III.  For $2000 USD they have released a camera with amazing specs and performance.  We had the chance to shoot this camera under a number of different conditions for several days.  My review is loaded with a ton of images as well as my experiences. I have also included a gallery of images that can be clicked on and views at 100%.  This camera will have a wide appeal to many photographers, especially portrait and wedding photographers.  So shoot on over to the Home Page and read the long article/review.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Jeff

Re: Sony a7III Review Just Published
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 05:46:58 pm »

Does any other company arrange such spectacular product launches ?

Must be great to get an invite :)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 06:21:23 pm »

Fuji does, maybe not so elaborate.  Nikon did one last year for the 850.  What Sony has done without knowing is strengthened the ties and relationships amongst all the journalists and content providers.  It's a great chance to hang with fellow internet website providers, YouTubers, and journalists.  Lots of sharing and collaboration.  On this trip, I collaborated with Ted Forbes and we did a video together.  I think you'll see more of this as time goes on.

For Sony, they get a lot of the right people using their gear.  We are all pretty straight up about being there on Sony's dime.  We are not told what to say or to say anything at all.  To Sony's credit, they keep introducing really nice gear.  Each new release incorporates new innovations and makes photography more fun with great image quality.  In the past, we could find things wrong, like overheating, small battery with a small number of shots, one card slot, bad positioning of batteries, dark viewfinder etc.  When we come for the next release we are surprised as Sony listened and fixed.  The current release of the a7III is a prime example, especially when compared to the a7II.  Also, Sony gets to see how we use the gear under different conditions. 

I hope when Canon and Nikon get to the point that they have a worthy mirrorless solution they do the same thing and invite us to ty their cameras

One more thing.  One of the side benefits is Japanese management, as well as engineers, are there and we get a chance to speak with them.  They ask a ton of questions and explain things like challenges and limitations and what they are trying to overcome.  There are some bright and really dedicated folks at Sony all working on taking photography to whole new levels we can't even imagine.

I've said it beforw and I'll say it again.  Fun times.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:22:30 pm »

And it is just $2000.00. I'm not being snide, just amazed at how we no longer blink or blush at the price of camera gear. Will there ever be a Pentax K1000 with a 135mm sensor?

DaveLuttmann

• World Street Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 09:45:27 am »

Until the issues with striping in backlit scenes are dealt with, I'd pass on this camera.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:38:05 am »

I purposely put some backlit images in my review regarding striping.  You should check this out. https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/details-sony-a7iii-stripe-issue/

Since many of us were at the event and standing next to the person who saw this we all tried hard to duplicate it.  Not so easy.  I think the link explains it.  I certainly wouldn't give up on this camera for the rare time you might see this.  Not that I want to sound like a salesperson, but how many times are you shooting wide open directly into the light.  I even shot images with a helicopter directly into the sun and I can't see banding.  Frankly, since we were all shooting JPEG only, I'd be curious to know if this is present on the raw or if it just might be part of 8 bit JEPGs.

Many others who had this camera did not see the issue.  Otherwise from what limited time we had to test this was a pretty damn nice camera.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 02:10:24 pm »

This camera will have a wide appeal to many photographers, especially portrait and wedding photographers.

I've been trying to figure out who would be ready to shell out the money for this camera.  I guess it makes sense for portrait and wedding photographers, who do not need the file size of the a7RIII, but still want all the other bells and whistles.  At 24.2 mp, it doesn't look like it will have enough horsepower for landscape photographers.  Sounds like the low light performance will not be a great improvement over it's more expensive sister.

DP

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 02:51:56 pm »

I've been trying to figure out who would be ready to shell out the money for this camera. 

somebody who can scrape only $2K for a new FF dSLM

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 02:55:23 pm »

The camera does appeal to someone like me, for whom 42mp is overkill but who sees benefits over the A7ii in the improved AF and (IMO more significantly) battery life. Like my A7rii it oughta make a nice platform for a bunch of my old manual focus lenses. We shall see…

-Dave-

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 05:18:54 pm »

If I am going to pay the price of reduced megapixels, I expect the trade-off to be a smaller, lighter body and lenses, as we see with APS-C gear.  The size and weight of the a7III are essentially identical to the a7RIII.  It seems the trade-off is a lower price achieved with a less expensive sensor.

GerryR

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 07:02:23 pm »

What Sony has done without knowing is strengthened the ties and relationships amongst all the journalists and content providers.  It's a great chance to hang with fellow internet website providers, YouTubers, and journalists.  Lots of sharing and collaboration.  On this trip, I collaborated with Ted Forbes and we did a video together.  I think you'll see more of this as time goes on.

For Sony, they get a lot of the right people using their gear.  The current release of the a7III is a prime example, especially when compared to the a7II.  Also, Sony gets to see how we use the gear under different conditions. 

One more thing. They ask a ton of questions and explain things like challenges and limitations and what they are trying to overcome. There are some bright and really dedicated folks at Sony all working on taking photography to whole new levels we can't even imagine.

I've said it beforw and I'll say it again.  Fun times.

Kevin,

Thank you for your in-depth view of the A7III. Your expertise and focused description of the experience makes the A7III rather compelling.
I'm writing this  to you since you have experience with the a6500 as well as the A7III. I've recently moved to the Sony platform, starting with the a6000 last September, and with the a6500 since December. It has been quite an eye opening experience, coming from a 40D.

In looking at them, I find the feature sets of the A7III and the A6500 to be quite similar. One could argue that the A6500 is a high priced cropped sensor camera, but for me, I find it an amazing tool, which continues to please and surprise me. That said, the allure of a full frame camera is of interest to me. I've read and watched many writings and videos about the differences of full frame versus cropped sensors.

The question I have is twofold:
1. are the feature sets between the 2 cameras that significantly different, and
2. Is the full frame configuration that much more compelling?

Anyway, I'm interested in your opinion and guidance. Thank you
Gerry
A6500 up from A6000
Sigma 30mm F1.4, Ziess 16-70mm F4, Sony 16-50mm F3.5-5.6,Sony 55-210mm

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 09:00:26 pm »

The a6500 is a mighty fine camera.  I have had the a6300 and a6500 and they are both fine performance cameras especially when you consider the size.

The af and EyeAF in the a7III is much better than the a6500.  Frames per second capture are about the same. 

If you put e-mount lens on the a6500 they become 1.5 times as long.  This is an advantage if you need long lens work. 

I primarily use my a6500 for video capture.  I showed my rig an article not too long ago. 

The viewfinder on the a7III is much better. 

I like having the a6500 as a backup camera when needed.  I like the fact I still get a 24mp file when using long glass but at the same time I get a longer reach from the lenses.

I haven't tested the a7iii against the a6500 for low light.  My experience so far with the a7III is that it is the best at high ISO and Low light performance.  This has been confirmed by a few colleagues.

I use three mirrorless cameras.  The M4/3 Olympus and Panasonic because they are small capable cameras with a 2x crop factor making their 300mm lens a 600mm lens in reach in a very small and lightweight package.  Great system if you want to travel light.  Very good image quality as well as camera build

APS-C I use primarily the Fuji XT2, X-Pro 2 and as of tomorrow the X-H1.  The glass and size as well as performance make this a camera I take with me for city trips.  I have taken the Fuji to Greenland and Alaska with outstanding results especially with the Fuji 100-400mm lens. 

Full Frame I am all about Sony.  I just returned a few weeks ago from Antarctica where I took the a9 and a7rIII and the images are incredible.  Full frame makes a difference in file quality.  I use the G-Master lens which is beautiful.  the detail in images in out of this world.  The disadvantage is that the physics of full frame means larger camera (but not as large as Nikon and Canon) and larger glass.  I am kind of OK with that.

Frankly, if I was making a choice I'd go full frame with Sony and the Sony glass.  I think the future is bright with Sony and they aren't finished yet so any lens investment will be a good one.

Also, and I don't want to be the start of wild rumors, but I think the a6500 is due for an upgrade in the next 6-12 months.  Maybe more Megapixels, new sensor, better AF and I hope a screen that swivels all the way around for the YouTubers in us.

I love all the systems mentioned here and find a particular use for each at different times.  I shoot a lot of images.  And, I shoot them under various conditions.  I am heading to Portugal in a few weeks and I'll be taking this Fuji on that trip.  Mainly because I'll need to travel light, I'll be mostly in urban environments and the city and it's a great camera for that. 

In the end, you'll have to decide what is important to you.  Size of the camera along with weight are the main items.  I don't know your budget but I'd keep the a6500 as a backup and invest in full frame.  If you want incredible image quality the a7rIII will be a winner.  I love it as a landscape camera.  The dynamic range allows me to pull shadow detail where other systems can't.  Plus I can easily enlarge it to 44x72 inches.  Of course, if you really want to go out, there is always the 100mp Phase One system.  THat's a topic for a whole other discussion.

I have probably done more to confuse you than help you.  Sorry if that's the case.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:19:07 am by Kevin Raber »
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 10:21:25 pm »

Almost a full article on it's own.  Thank you Kevin!

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 02:07:36 am »

For Sony, they get a lot of the right people using their gear.  We are all pretty straight up about being there on Sony's dime.  We are not told what to say or to say anything at all.  To Sony's credit, they keep introducing really nice gear.  Each new release incorporates new innovations and makes photography more fun with great image quality.  In the past, we could find things wrong, like overheating, small battery with a small number of shots, one card slot, bad positioning of batteries, dark viewfinder etc.  When we come for the next release we are surprised as Sony listened and fixed.  The current release of the a7III is a prime example, especially when compared to the a7II.  Also, Sony gets to see how we use the gear under different conditions. 

Hi Kevin,

Next time you are in an event... complain to them about the Star-eater issue. And also, since you are at it, remind them that both Canon and Nikon cameras have multi-exposure modes...

If next cameras add that (I will not dream of software update like Fuji)... I will be happy.

P.D.: do more videos with Ted.

Thanks Kevin!!!

http://dgpfotografia.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 08:20:14 am »

somebody who can scrape only $2K for a new FF dSLM

I find it appealing. Together with a Batis 85mm f1.8 it would be a great "compact" camera I would bring when I don't need the 45mp of the D850.

Cheers,
Bernard

DP

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 08:36:53 am »

I find it appealing. Together with a Batis 85mm f1.8

more prudent will be FE85/1.8

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 09:01:06 am »

more prudent will be FE85/1.8

Why?

Cheers,
Bernard

DP

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 01:07:36 pm »

Why?

Cheers,
Bernard

I stand @ that A7III buyer is on a budget ...

Telecaster

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 03:22:39 pm »

I wouldn't just assume that prospective A7iii buyers are on a budget. The camera strikes me as appropriate for anyone, regardless of budget, who doesn't need the r-series pixel counts or the A9's speed-oriented AF & burst rates. The 85mm Batis makes a fine choice for such folks…particularly so if they already own one.  :)

-Dave-

DP

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 03:44:10 pm »

I wouldn't just assume that prospective A7iii buyers are on a budget.

remind me, if I am not on a budget... why'd I really buy A7RIII and not A9 ?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up