Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tablet with Thunderbolt for P45+ ?  (Read 2907 times)

gebseng

Tablet with Thunderbolt for P45+ ?
« on: March 04, 2018, 05:31:59 pm »

Hi again,

After a couple of years with the Leaf Credo 40 on my Linhof Techno, I am still pretty disappointed about the magenta cast when shifting more than 10mm. I fondly remember the Leaf Aptus 75S I used before, where 20mm shifts were no problem at all, with minimal colour cast.

But: Live View!

So, I was thinking about trying a P45+ (selling, anyone?;)), and tethering it to a tablet. Since there are no Firewire equipped devices anymore, and I would really prefer a tablet or convertible to a Laptop, Apple (the only company I know of  that still offers a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter) is out of the equation here. I only work on locartion and would have to mount the tablet on my tripod.

There are lots of light and cheap Thunderbolt equipped Windows tablets or convertibles out there, but I can't find any OEM Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters.

Do you have any experiences regarding that?

best,

geb

landscapephoto

Re: Tablet with Thunderbolt for P45+ ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 02:23:47 am »

Reportedly, the Apple FW-TB adapter works under Windows.

But these tablets use TB3, so would need the TB3-TB2 adapter to be chained with the FW-TB adapter. That should work, but I don't think it has been tested.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:27:23 am by landscapephoto »

gebseng

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 04:34:18 am »

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll just have to try. At least the P45+ can be powered from its battery, even when tethered, right?

araucaria

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 04:40:03 am »

Make shure you know how bad the live view on the p45+ is before buying/selling anything.

gebseng

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 05:13:15 am »

Make shure you know how bad the live view on the p45+ is before buying/selling anything.

... I know! I used a Leaf Aptus 75S for several years, can't be any worse than that. Or wait, can it?

dgmkd

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 06:09:04 pm »

I'm using a Startech FW800>TB2 adapter combined with the Apple TB2>TB3 adapter succesfully with an H4D and a Dell XPS. That' a Hasselblad but I suspect the p45 should work as well. Just make sure you get a device with a TB3 port and not a regular USB-C port.

gebseng

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 06:11:39 pm »

I'm using a Startech FW800>TB2 adapter combined with the Apple TB2>TB3 adapter succesfully with an H4D and a Dell XPS. That' a Hasselblad but I suspect the p45 should work as well. Just make sure you get a device with a TB3 port and not a regular USB-C port.

That's excellent news, thanks a lot!

narikin

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 02:06:49 pm »

This has been discussed here many times before.

Why struggle with adapters? Just use an older Windows tablet with built in firewire.  I used Fuji convertible one back in the day. I think it was a T510 or something. 4 pin firewire built in, direct to P45+ back. Touchscreen etc. Worked great. Probably can find one online for a couple of hundred bucks now.

gebseng

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 04:17:46 pm »

Why struggle with adapters? Just use an older Windows tablet with built in firewire.  I used Fuji convertible one back in the day. I think it was a T510 or something. 4 pin firewire built in, direct to P45+ back. Touchscreen etc. Worked great. Probably can find one online for a couple of hundred bucks now.

Thanks for your input!

I spent some years shooting with Leaf Valeo and Aptus digital backs, and a tethered laptop mounted on the same tripod as the camera. I don't want to go back to this kind of setup, with a 2-3 kg convertible, that probably also has poor battery life and needs an external battery. Compared to that, a modern tablet has one around 800 grams, plus better battery life. Thus my idea with the thunderbolt firewire adapter

kinglang

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 04:10:45 am »

hi,narikin,  can you provide the type of the Fuji tablet? I can`t find now.

gebseng

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 04:41:23 am »

hi,narikin,  can you provide the type of the Fuji tablet? I can`t find now.

Fujitsu Lifebook T900, for example

kinglang

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 10:43:16 am »

Fujitsu Lifebook T900, for example
Thanks, T900 is too large &old , i want find a 7-10` tablet with thunderblot2 or tb3 for old CCD back like Phase P .
We can find tb2-tb3 adapter & usb3.0A to tb2 adapter, but lack a tb2 female to tb2 female adapter,i search at google but not find one.

gebseng

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 11:33:30 am »

there are none with 10", but these two with 12": HP Elite x2 1012 or Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 720 AFAIK

narikin

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 05:52:17 pm »

Thanks, T900 is too large &old , i want find a 7-10` tablet with thunderblot2 or tb3 for old CCD back like Phase P .
We can find tb2-tb3 adapter & usb3.0A to tb2 adapter, but lack a tb2 female to tb2 female adapter,i search at google but not find one.

#1: Old?! what's 'Old' got to do with it - your proposed back is ~10 years old, why can't the tablet be same generation, if it works perfectly? And will cost just a couple of hundred $ tops, not thousands. Seems a no brainer to me.

#2: Tablets, in the true sense of the word, (iPads etc) are not going to work with Capture One. They have weak processors, that are simply not enough for this. Do your research, or you may waste a lot of time on under powered tablets, that will not work. The Fuji convertibles & like, are proper laptops, with full power. processors. Hence I recommend a convertible, (mine was a Lifebook T5010) that has a full power Intel processor, great storage & RAM, and works perfectly with C1. The screen folds back onto itself, to become a touch screen 'tablet' (pen or finger, depending on the model) Yes it is a bit heavier, but it works They also can be upgraded very easily - SSD drives, batteries, card slots, etc. All very easily accessed, unlike a sealed & glued modern tablet.

If you want really light weight (long distance backpacking?) and an ultra high res screen, then you are kind of in a bind. Try the Eve V computer with adapters? About $1500+. I use a Surface Pro now, but my back has USB3, so its really easy to connect.

Either way, good luck!

Pages: [1]   Go Up