Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swamp thing  (Read 1303 times)

guido

Swamp thing
« on: March 04, 2018, 03:47:45 pm »

Comments welcome! Thanks for looking!

Canon 5DSR Samyang 14mm f2.8

farbschlurf

• fototypo
Re: Swamp thing
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 03:26:06 pm »

Probably because swamps are not the most appealing landscapes mostly, no reply for you, yet. So I'll do.
;-)
I like these basically. I'm not sure about the treatment/ processing, but cannot put my finger on it, though. I guess it was already subdued colors, and a B/W from that? Or the relatively low contrast? But the tones are well indeed. Maybe they're a little too wide? Maybe just a little of it all.

It's a hard subject. There are landscapes pretty similar to that around here (north-east Germany), and I tried to photograph them with little success until now, your's a way better and you got an decent sky. May I ask, where that is?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 04:51:02 pm »

These both convey an ominous mood.
For me, the first works better. I especially like the bent tree with its reflection.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

guido

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:19:35 pm »

Probably because swamps are not the most appealing landscapes mostly, no reply for you, yet. So I'll do.
;-)
I like these basically. I'm not sure about the treatment/ processing, but cannot put my finger on it, though. I guess it was already subdued colors, and a B/W from that? Or the relatively low contrast? But the tones are well indeed. Maybe they're a little too wide? Maybe just a little of it all.

It's a hard subject. There are landscapes pretty similar to that around here (north-east Germany), and I tried to photograph them with little success until now, your's a way better and you got an decent sky. May I ask, where that is?

Thank you for your comments!

They were taken at Great Meadows Wildlife Refuge in Sudbury, Massachusetts, USA.

I'm a great fan of swamps and wetlands. Their fertility has been the source of the success of the settlements that started around their banks and grew to the towns and cities. No longer farmed and not suitable for development, they are left to return to a somewhat natural state. I think they have a subtle beautiful dignity.

I spent years using large format and printing in platinum. I love the long scale it gives, and I often strive for that in my B&W digital work. I think going for a high key effect wouldn't be appropriate for the subject.

guido

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:30:39 pm »

These both convey an ominous mood.
For me, the first works better. I especially like the bent tree with its reflection.

Ominous. Hmmm... They were taken yesterday morning as the storm receded. I'm glad you like the reflection.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 07:15:59 pm »

I also like the reflections in the first shot.  Can you bring up the exposure of the foreground?

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 12:36:52 am »

Great Meadows! I should have guessed, but I haven't been out there in a few years.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 12:47:36 pm »

I love the first photo.

But, I think you might reconsider revisiting the post production work.  I think there is great potential here, but you haven't yet gotten to the point where it really sings.  At first thought, the sky might be a little too bright and it takes away the eye from the (very interesting) swamp below.  I think some careful "dodging and burning" could make this a very dramatic photograph.  In particular, the sky is peaking at pure white and I think that is a bit distracting.

I'd love to see another attempt!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

smthopr

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 12:59:12 pm »

I love the first photo.

But, I think you might reconsider revisiting the post production work.  I think there is great potential here, but you haven't yet gotten to the point where it really sings.  At first thought, the sky might be a little too bright and it takes away the eye from the (very interesting) swamp below.  I think some careful "dodging and burning" could make this a very dramatic photograph.  In particular, the sky is peaking at pure white and I think that is a bit distracting.

I'd love to see another attempt!

I like this photograph so much, that I could not resist..  Something like this?
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

guido

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 01:16:24 pm »

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your kind comments! I'm really glad you like the image.

I'm not sure our differing views of the highlights in the sky are monitor calibration related (My i1 is packed away as I re-work my basement) or an intention difference. Your version adds a moodiness I hadn't intended for the image.

Thanks for taking the time to do a version to make your point!

guido 

smthopr

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 01:23:20 pm »

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your kind comments! I'm really glad you like the image.

I'm not sure our differing views of the highlights in the sky are monitor calibration related (My i1 is packed away as I re-work my basement) or an intention difference. Your version adds a moodiness I hadn't intended for the image.

Thanks for taking the time to do a version to make your point!

guido

I may have gone too far with this for the sake of the illustration, and I'm a moody guy...  I still think you might play with it some more and see what you come up with that adds to your vision of the photograph, and not mine :)
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up