Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Irving Penn  (Read 1042 times)

Rob C

Irving Penn
« on: March 02, 2018, 02:46:10 pm »

I sometimes get to thinking about famous photographers and the reasons for that fame.

Here's one who enjoyed international fame for a very long time. Looking at this link, I am forced to wonder if the fame was derived from the photography, purely and simply, or whether it was a combination of exposure in the right places with great photographic ability, or perhaps something else that may have more to do with a self-perpetuating kind of myth where the assumption of greatness creates the, well, myth?

Of course, it's not terribly bright to try to form opinions from these reproductions, and maybe only seeing the work within its magazine context or on a gallery wall will really allow for an informed view. Nonetheless, I find it interesting to wonder whether such imagery travels well, in the sense of being relevant today, or whether it's glory is really in the past.

For the record, I think he was very gifted.

https://www.google.es/search?client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&dcr=0&source=hp&ei=cKmZWt6pF4jcUfrIAQ&q=irving+penn+imagenes&oq=irving&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.41j0l5.1935.3631..6084...0....109.573.4j2..........1..mobile-gws-wiz-hp.....3..46j0i46.e5%2FYb1oB0Nk%3D

degrub

Re: Irving Penn
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 03:04:27 pm »

i agree.
most excellent portraiture.

elliot_n

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 03:19:51 pm »

I admire his work, but I don't love it.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 04:36:27 pm »

I admire his work, but I don't love it.

Yep.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 05:19:45 pm »

I think it's the gritty look of it.

The "simplicity" is appealing, but perhaps the sense of gloom might be a touch too much, diverting love away from respect? But then isn't that because of the era? Maybe doing that stuff when all around were shooting 8x10 on angel skins might have been part of a strategy to create a difference of identity.

Again, so much was done in darkrooms that nothing is sure. Just consider Lillian Bassman!

However, whatever it was, it worked for him!

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up