Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ON1 Photo Raw 2018.1  (Read 6154 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
ON1 Photo Raw 2018.1
« on: March 02, 2018, 03:36:49 am »

I'm getting emails from ON1 saying that this is new and on special offer. Has anyone here more knowledgeable than I (a wide field) tried it? How does it compare with LR / C1?

Jeremy

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: ON1 Photo Raw 2018.1
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 10:54:51 am »

If you have tried the previous version Photo Raw 2018, then you have pretty much tried it. The .1 version adds some bug fixes, tethered shooting, soft proofing and some enhancements to the browse module, like auto advance when sorting, etc.

As to compare it to LR or C1 that is a more individual thing. The color correction and image quality in C1 is very hard to beat. I have not gone to the subscription for Adobe so can't comment on it versus the newer software. On1 is another type of workflow, the masking features are quite nice and the perfect brush makes complex masking a breeze, it is also a layered and non-destructive workflow. I like aspects of it, but then I also have c1 and that is hard to beat for ultimate image quality. I also have luminar, which I find is lacking a lot of things though they are still working on it, at least for the windows version. They all have their nuances. I like a lot of On1 and use it, as well as C1 for more serious work, they both have their places. I like that On1 has 5 installs. I use it on my small travel notebook along with Affinity Photo.

They do have a 30 day trial, in the end you are the only one who can ultimately decide what works for you. I don't know what is important to you in a comparison so hard to give a judgement call. I wanted to get away from LR and PS for my own reasons. I have found Affinity Photo a good replacement for things I use PS for, and I have found that C1 and On1 make good solutions for me for editing.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 10:55:23 am »

I would be happy to comment on specific items or questions if you have them.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Ranger Rick

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:16:29 pm »

What is annoying about this product is that we (including me) have paid for the 2017 and the 2018 versions and are still serving as beta testers. For example, the note with the latest update says that the Panorama function is improved, but they are still working on getting it up to speed.  It was an interesting concept, but I have put it in the Inactive folder.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:48:33 pm »

Thanks, gentlemen. It can't hurt to give it a go for a month.

Rick, we're all beta testers for all software these days!

Jeremy

David S

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 03:02:46 pm »

Thanks, gentlemen. It can't hurt to give it a go for a month.

Jeremy

Might be worthwhile to keep looking at it. It is a matter of personal preference but it sure works for me.

Dave S

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 12:55:41 am »

I have had very few issues, and none lately, all software has problems. Bugs are what they are, it is a different type of processing engine. The masking is quite good, they have a lot of features that are unique. The more I use it the more I like it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 04:31:20 pm »

Yep. This has always been mostly true, at least in the personal device era. The last major coding project I was part of involved bug-fixing and streamlining a closed database system. Closed as in no longer being changed features wise. I have to say it was a lotta fun cleaning up and fine-tuning a motley collection of just-barely-working code into something that really hummed along. It was also a one off, as the company involved was in the process of mismanaging itself into non-existence. No growing, evolving, healthy enterprise nowadays has the time or the resources to devote to standing still.

-Dave-
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:37:28 pm by Telecaster »

120photo

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 01:41:41 am »

I use it as a DAM and culling tool.

mburke

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 07:35:02 am »

I have been using On1 for over a year now and find it to be a wonderful piece of software. The newest iteration allows easy download of files from card or iPhone to a directory structure you are comfortable with. No cataloging per se. Nice browser and culling and rating functions. Ability to keyword, etc. Easy to filter and sort and rename. The processing is very nice to use and the effects and masking work well for me. It is a pretty deep package and they have a wonderful support system. I have stopped using all other photo software except Qimage for printing. I have found it to be a powerful and easy system to use.

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 05:03:26 pm »

Been fooling around with ON1 off and on for a while now. My issue is that no plugins for SmumMug, 500PX, Flickr and so on.  That’s  a feature I like with Lightroom. It’s so easy to use social media with LR. 

Stu

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 07:55:44 am »

We're up to version 2018.5 now and I notice that there is very little activity on this forum about Photo RAW in general. That might be all I need to know.

But I am working with the newest version some and finding the image quality to be better than in past versions, but I still can't create images that are as well defined as with C1. By that I mean that the RAW conversion doesn't seem to pull out all the detail that C1 does. And it doesn't appear to be a matter of sharpening, mid-tone contrast, or noise reduction. Or maybe it's all of those, but I just can't slide enough sliders in Photo RAW to get that same level of detail.

Has anyone else used both tools enough to determine if they notice the same things?

It seems most noticeable to me in portraits and in subjects with fine detail, such as a butterfly. When I look at the same image in both at 100% I see those differences, perhaps subtle, but clear to me. At 200% the differences are clearer still.

Others?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

David S

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 10:00:12 am »

I am happy with the results from RAW from a Pany G9 but have not done a comparisson with C1. I find a big speed improvement with 2018.5 too.

Dave S

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 10:38:04 am »

I am happy with the results from RAW from a Pany G9 but have not done a comparisson with C1. I find a big speed improvement with 2018.5 too.

I too, have seen a speed increase, especially in switching from Browse to Develop modes. But the Perfect Brush for masking is still laggy and glacially slow. Basically unusable.

While I'm "happy" with the RAW conversions, I'm far less happy when I come to what Capture One can do. C1 is noticeably better.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up