Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless remote for Sony A7Riii that doesn't use the multi port  (Read 19526 times)

Jens_Langen

I like to remotely release the shutter when shooting tethered, but can't find a 2.4 Ghz wireless remote to trigger the Sony that doesn't use the same multi port that's used by the USB cable running to the computer. I can't tether using the USB-C port since this isn't compatible with my computer. Any ideas??

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Wireless remote for Sony A7Riii that doesn't use the multi port
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 07:20:05 pm »

Use your phone or a tablet? (WiFi)

FabienP

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 06:33:36 pm »

I like to remotely release the shutter when shooting tethered, but can't find a 2.4 Ghz wireless remote to trigger the Sony that doesn't use the same multi port that's used by the USB cable running to the computer. I can't tether using the USB-C port since this isn't compatible with my computer. Any ideas??

Assuming your computer has USB 3.0 Type A ports (i.e. it is not older than 6 years), you could buy an adapter Type A to Type C to use the USB C port on the camera. Tethering the camera using the newer port should be much faster, even with an USB 3.0 connection.

Cheers,

Fabien

Dan Vincent

• Daniel Vincent Aviation Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 10:59:15 pm »

USB type C to A cables also work with USB 2.0 speeds. That's the reason why they added the USB C port, so you can tether as well as use the Multi port for a remote (or for power).

Jens_Langen

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 04:42:32 pm »

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try the adapter, but until I get my backordered second battery, I'll miss charging the battery while shooting tethered. What a great feature that is.
Regarding wifi triggering, i could give that a go too, but am a little worried about battery life after my experiences with wifi triggering with the Canon 5d mkiv- batteries lasted only 15 minutes!

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 05:47:18 pm »

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try the adapter, but until I get my backordered second battery, I'll miss charging the battery while shooting tethered. What a great feature that is.
Regarding wifi triggering, i could give that a go too, but am a little worried about battery life after my experiences with wifi triggering with the Canon 5d mkiv- batteries lasted only 15 minutes!
I use WiFi regularly on my A7R2 for long exposure lightpainting and the battery lasts for a decent time.  The A7R3 is reputed to have a vastly improved battery.  Mine arrives tomorrow so I'll be testing it soon.  Not tethered though ...

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:58:48 am »

What tethering software are you using?  If you're not using the Sony version of CaptureOne, you really should try it.  With CapturePilot, you can use a device to trigger the shot, not burning the battery on the camera (plus things like flagging, rating, etc).  Yes, you need to do the in-app purchase for shot control, but it's worth it.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

Jens_Langen

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 05:01:31 pm »

Thanks Joe, I'll look into that. The Sony app for my iPhone doesn't work, so maybe this will be a good alternative as well.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 06:49:43 am »

I've had my A7Riii for a while now and have done several lightpainted shots, some taking 30-45 minutes from setup to final image with the camera on and in Wifi mode the whole time.  The lowest I've seen the battery go to is 30%, and that includes using it normally for 2-3 hours during the day, then doing 2-3 lightpainted images at night.  Again this was NOT tethered and I don't know if there is additional drain but the battery is great.  In the past I would probably have used 3 Sony OEM batteries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up