Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sigma E-mount primes  (Read 15908 times)

shadowblade

New Sigma E-mount primes
« on: February 28, 2018, 05:34:30 am »

Well, at least the 105/1.4 and 70 macro are new. The 14/1.8, 20/1.4, 24/1.4, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 and 135/1.8 all look like the current version with an extra few centimetres of air at the back. Although Sigma hasn't actually said that they are the same as the current Canon/Nikon versions, or that they haven't updated or tweaked the optics. Certainly they would either have updated the motors to support rapid, fine CDAF movements, or were already using suitable motors in anticipation of launching mirrorless versions.

Personally, I think it's a good thing that they're moving to identical designs (with interchangeable mounts) for all cameras. It makes the final design both better and cheaper - make one excellent optical design and use it for both SLR and mirrorless cameras, rather than designing a separate mirrorless lens, duplicating the effort, then having to support two separate production lines, each with smaller volume.

Any idea if they'll support teleconverters? The empty tube at the back of each lens leaves plenty of space for one, and, with Canon at least, you can put a TC onto any lens where it physically fits (even if the Canon TCs don't fit, as with lenses of 100mm and below, you can still use a Sigma TC with perfect function). The ability to use them makes each prime so much more versatile.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: New Sigma E-mount primes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:59:38 am »

This is how they have described the changes;

"While offering the same high-performance optical design as other lenses in the Art line, the new Sony E-mount models will feature a newly developed control algorithm that optimizes the autofocus drive and maximizes the data transmission speed. In addition, these lenses will be compatible with Sony’s Continuous AF (AF-C) and high-speed autofocus, which are not addressed by SIGMA MOUNT CONVERTER MC-11. Like the converter MC-11, the lenses will be compatible with in-camera image stabilization and in-camera lens aberration correction, which includes corrections for peripheral illumination, chromatic aberrations, and distortion."

The 105 looks enormous, too big for me I think althogh I woudl like it, and in the same vein it has an extension for Sony E (not present on the Canon/Nikon versions of course).

Voigtlander have release a 110/2.5 macro that I might find more interesting, MF of course ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up