Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo borders  (Read 2273 times)

armand

• Photos
Photo borders
« on: February 27, 2018, 07:39:26 pm »

I'm increasingly tempted to add borders to the photos that I post on my website, I came up with the conclusion that they might be looking better.
Any rules of thumb out there regarding size or color?

elliot_n

Re: Photo borders
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:29 pm »

Resist the temptation!

donbga

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 11:50:09 am »

I'm increasingly tempted to add borders to the photos that I post on my website, I came up with the conclusion that they might be looking better.

Don't add borders for online work. They are just a distraction.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 02:59:46 pm »

I suggest you try it and see if you think it serves your work well.  I’ve used borders on my website’s BW images and think they serve the images well, but I was able to load several images with different borders and keep them hidden from public view until I was sure I had something I liked.

My border is 95% gray.  I use an action I made in Photoshop which is automatically started as part of the export process from Lightroom.

I don’t know how much choice you have in choosing the background color for your images, but the choice of border tone would be related (subjectively, of course) to that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:35:03 pm by Jeffrey Saldinger »
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:02:38 am »

Hi, Armand:

I always use white borders...check my website and see for yourself if you might like.  I like the way it separates the image from the background.  I also mat the print the same way.  But that's just me.

:Niranjan.

P.S.  Just checked your site quickly.  Awesome B&W's.  You have a great eye.  Love the one with palm tree and woman in wind.  Simply beautiful!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:09:18 am by nirpat89 »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 01:57:59 pm »

Thank you.

I tried borders in the past with mixed results. Either way, I didn't access my zenfolio site for a while from a computer, only phone/ipad, and now I noticed that the current theme adds a small black border to all photos anyway so I'm set for now. I only have to figure it out how to change it if I want to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up