Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forced Back to the D810  (Read 18276 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Forced Back to the D810
« on: February 27, 2018, 12:56:34 am »

My Nikon D850 is off to repair; don’t even ask what happened. Just mark it down as the dreaded “user error.” In the meantime, I am using my faithful Nikon D810 and doing my best to keep shooting. And here is why I am writing:

It was a real shock to go back to the D810 after using the D850. I had no idea what a (minor) hardship it would be or, another way of saying this is, how easily I slid into and got used to an upgraded camera body like the D850.

I’m not sure how many D850 owners will agree with me, but the first thing I noticed is how very much better the color is on the new D850 compared to the D810. As mentioned, I just went along with the upgrade and quickly forgot the various struggles to get color right with the D810. Anyway, I see a big difference now that I am back to struggling with the D810!

And the rest of the shocks were more like tremors, like I am already quite used to the pixel increase in the D850 sensor and appreciate it and I was totally used to the silent shooting mode. It was hard going back to mirror-up and clicking twice. And the LiveView on the D810 is way inferior to what the D850 can use. That would be the second most-important (painful) difference I noted.

Anyway, I’m going to live, but I deeply appreciate my D850 and wish it god speed to get back to me soon. I know; I'm ungrateful to criticize the D810 and should be more appreciative. Forgive me.

Here I am just playing with the recent Nikon fisheye zoom (8mm-15mm). How do you folks get rid of the blue ring around the image? This is a quick shot of my mini-studio.

I can’t believe all the stuff I think I need around to take photos! 
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Forced Back to the D810
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 01:25:36 am »

Sorry to hear about the issue.

And fully agreed, Nikon has knocked it out of the city with the D850.

Cheers,
Bernard

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:30:32 am »

I had the same experience when I had to go to my backup body for a few shots the other day.  In my case it was going from the a7R III back to the a7R II - it really highlighted the usability differences between two cameras that outwardly seem almost the same.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:07:03 am »

Sorry to hear about your problems, it's frustrating if it's only yourself to blame.

Btw, nice studio, and nice socks ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:38:20 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

Two23

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 10:17:13 am »

And the rest of the shocks were more like tremors, like I am already quite used to the pixel increase in the D850 sensor and appreciate it and I was totally used to the silent shooting mode. It was hard going back to mirror-up and clicking twice. And the LiveView on the D810 is way inferior to what the D850 can use. That would be the second most-important (painful) difference I noted.

All of that sounds like minor stuff, especially considering the $1,500 difference in cost.  As for silent shooting mode, I'm not sure I would have noticed it last Sunday when I was out photo'ing the ice races with my D800E. ;D   I virtually never use live view.  My plan is to keep using either my D800E (or a D810 when prices drop to $1400 on ebay) until prices on D850 drop to $1,500, which they inevitably will.  Meanwhile there are some lenses I'm looking at.  Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that for great photos my money is better spent on travel than gear.  As for "I can't believe the stuff I think I need around to take photos,"  my solution was to start shooting a Kodak Brownie from 1904.  Doing that really sharpened my skills more than anything else. :)

Kent in SD

Below photo was taken with a D800E and a 35mm lens.  I was about four feet away. :o
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 11:22:36 am »

My Nikon D850 is off to repair; don’t even ask what happened. Just mark it down as the dreaded “user error.” In the meantime, I am using my faithful Nikon D810 and doing my best to keep shooting. And here is why I am writing:

It was a real shock to go back to the D810 after using the D850. I had no idea what a (minor) hardship it would be or, another way of saying this is, how easily I slid into and got used to an upgraded camera body like the D850.

I’m not sure how many D850 owners will agree with me, but the first thing I noticed is how very much better the color is on the new D850 compared to the D810. As mentioned, I just went along with the upgrade and quickly forgot the various struggles to get color right with the D810. Anyway, I see a big difference now that I am back to struggling with the D810!

Anyway, I’m going to live, but I deeply appreciate my D850 and wish it god speed to get back to me soon. I know; I'm ungrateful to criticize the D810 and should be more appreciative. Forgive me.

Here I am just playing with the recent Nikon fisheye zoom (8mm-15mm). How do you folks get rid of the blue ring around the image? This is a quick shot of my mini-studio.

I can’t believe all the stuff I think I need around to take photos!

Well, you are a more tidy person than I: instead of a fine, fez-like bin, I use a polly bag hitched over the back of my typist's chair, not that I have a typist, of course, but you know what I mean.

My cassettes now live in what I originally constructed as a film-drying cabinet, as do all manner of other bits and pieces. Changing tech sure sold a lot of wood.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 11:58:57 am »

I get a similar feel when I use the Fuji X-T1 after X-T2. Main difference would be the joystick and the easier to access functions. Using an even older X-E1 though has its charm, it’s simpler and you think less about the settings.

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 02:33:15 pm »

Nice workspace / storage area, Michael. I see the models congregating on the right side.....  :)

John Hollenberg

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 04:36:19 pm »

In my case it was going from the a7R III back to the a7R II - it really highlighted the usability differences between two cameras that outwardly seem almost the same.

What are the significant usability differences you mentioned?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 04:44:32 pm »

Menus, eye AF and IBIS?

Cheers,
Bernard

John Hollenberg

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 12:38:01 am »

Menus, eye AF and IBIS?

a7r2 already has IBIS, supposed to be a bit better with a7r3.  Eye AF is supposed to be better.  What is different about the menus?

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 01:48:41 am »

To remove the blue ring around your fisheye, you man simply have to create a layer mask with an aperture slightly smaller than the ring. I have a similar issue with my fisheye lenses and sometimes need to show the image on a white background and masking seems like the fastest and easiest ways to do it.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 07:07:45 am »

I hate to hijack the thread from the D850 and turn it into a Sony one, I was simply pointing out that it's not unusual to be impacted by differences that you got used to with a new camera when needing to go back to an old one but since you asked, here are a few that come to mind at the moment:
- Focus point joystick - you don't need to first push a button and then move the point with a click on a buttoned wheel - much better direct control
- Battery that you don't really need to worry about constantly
- MUCH better AF at the edges of the day (things that the a7R3 easily focuses on the a7R2 hunts on and then gives up)
- It actually tracks focus on moving subjects
- Programmable zebras that allow you to actually place the zebra threshold where the RAW file starts to clip - you can actually program it to a specific value or a specific range, not just 70, 80,90, 100, 100+
- In my case my a7R3 level is much more accurate than my a7R2 which is off by about 0.5 degrees
- My Menu lets me get to things I need quickly
- By just moving the rear screen out a touch you can prevent the bill of your hat constantly switching the camera to the EVF when doing things on the rear LCD
- Just lots of little things you don't read about in the reviews based on a couple of hours of use at a Sony paid event...

I have plenty of gripes with the a7R III too but it is a significant step from the a7R II.  I have a very detailed review that talks about all of the problems as well as the good here:
http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Sony%20a7R%20III.pdf
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:01:26 am by E.J. Peiker »

shadowblade

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 07:32:14 am »

And fully agreed, Nikon has knocked it out of the city with the D850.

Cheers,
Bernard

And Sony caught it with a flying catch that almost defies physics.

Meanwhile, Canon isn't even playing the game, but is lurking somewhere out in the carpark, swiping cash from cars while the others are watching the game.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 09:48:34 am »

I hate to hijack the thread from the D850 and turn it into a Sony one...

I have plenty of gripes with the a7R III too but it is a significant step from the a7R II.  I have a very detailed review that talks about all of the problems as well as the good here:
http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Sony%20a7R%20III.pdf

Thanks much for the link to your review!  We apologize for the interruption and now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

NancyP

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 11:02:28 am »

[dingdingding] Oh, THAT EJ Peiker! So, I am a little slow at times....Thanks for Naturescapes.net, by the way.

"Getting eye-AF to recognize the eyes of wildlife and especially birds should be a priority for Sony to address for wildlife shooters."

Pages: [1]   Go Up