Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance requirements for freelance talent  (Read 2200 times)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Insurance requirements for freelance talent
« on: February 26, 2018, 03:02:33 pm »

I am working on a project proposal for lifestyle hospitality shoot requiring use of 6 models - 4 adults and 2 children.
If using freelance models, do I need to carry any special insurance coverage for such shoot?
Is it different if using models from a modeling agency?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Insurance requirements for freelance talent
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 03:42:04 pm »

I am working on a project proposal for lifestyle hospitality shoot requiring use of 6 models - 4 adults and 2 children.
If using freelance models, do I need to carry any special insurance coverage for such shoot?
Is it different if using models from a modeling agency?

This is a question for a lawyer and/or insurance agent. Not for all us "junior experts" on the forum!

tbroadley

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:45:59 am »

I don’t know whether you are in the US or not but here it is always a general rule to carry insurance for a commercial shoot. The client may also require it. Children may impose other requirements also.
Tim

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:39:58 am »

If I am hiring the talent, my insurance will cover them. As they are under me, just like my assistant.  If the client brings them, I would ask them to ensure they are covering them.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

DP

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 10:20:22 am »

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 02:42:45 pm »

There may be two types of insurance to be considered: liability and worker's compensation. Your business insurance should provide standard liability coverage that would include actions by people working for you. However, if you will be hiring the models (or assistants) directly, worker's compensation insurance may also be necessary if your state requires that you treat them as employees, rather than independent contractors, and you are not already carrying such insurance. I am neither a lawyer nor an insurance agent; however, from what I have read, it looks as though, at least in some states, you may still need to provide worker's compensation when hiring models through a temporary employment (i.e. modeling) agency.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 07:16:04 pm by David Eichler »

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 07:13:13 pm »

This is a question for a lawyer and/or insurance agent. Not for all us "junior experts" on the forum!

Actually, not necessarily, as far as general, non-legal advice goes. Experienced professional photographers ought to be able to give general guidance on something that is pretty common in the industry, such as hiring models. Obviously, if a particular law is very complex or has grey areas, you will certainly want to consult a lawyer; and, if insurance options are complex, you will probably need to discuss with an insurance agent. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up