Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safest way to remove foam residue from headphones?  (Read 4617 times)

walter.sk

Safest way to remove foam residue from headphones?
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:43:09 pm »

Hi: In setting up my gear for field recording I found my old Sony V600 headphones, which should do fine to monitor my audio recording.  When I removed them after  a test run my shoulders and ears were full of black flakes.  I ordered replacement earpads.  They arrived today, and I gingerly removed the old one from the right side headphone.  It never occurred to me that the flakes would have accumulated on the inside of the phones but they are caked with sticky black junk.

For the first time in my life I restrained myself from jumping ahead, and admitted that I can be a bull in a China shop.  So, I am asking here what is the best and safest way to remove the mess from the headphones?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Safest way to remove foam residue from headphones?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 05:22:05 pm »

Well, my bull tells me to get out the vacuum cleaner and start on low power ))

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 07:30:40 pm »

Well, my bull tells me to get out the vacuum cleaner and start on low power ))
Good idea!  But after trying it I found so much of the debris still clung to the metal surfaces. I found an old
toothbrush with very very soft bristles and found that I was able to get the rest of the stuff off.  I don't know what is still behind the metal plate's holes, but I'm not going to turn any of those little screws...
The accessible parts, though now clean, were very sticky.  I tried brushing them with a damp soft cloth but it didn't help, at which point the "bull in the China shop" emerged...I dampened a cloth with alcohol and carefully patted the surfaces.  Lo and behold!  The stickiness is gone, and no apparent damage was done. And the replacement pads went on smoothly.

Gefest

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 05:02:12 pm »

Hey, walter.sk. I had the same problem, but I fucked up a little bit because I wasn't as attentive as I should be. I thought, that the main problem is in the old headphones, which I've been using for 5 years, so I decided to buy AGPTEK SE01, I made a decision according to reviews on audio-direct.com, they have a good sound, they are long enough for me and also they are extremely cheap. Actually, it helped me a lot, but now I understand, that I spent money for nothing. I wish I had found this topic earlier.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:22:30 pm by Gefest »
Pages: [1]   Go Up