Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica SL article/video  (Read 1774 times)

skirkp

Leica SL article/video
« on: February 24, 2018, 11:44:15 am »

Some factual errors in the short summary writeup -- You forgot to list the 50/1.4 SL (big, slow to focus, awesome quality. You must have tried it in Wetzlar).  And the 16-35 hasn't shipped yet.  It is promised for 1H2018. Also 35 and 50 mm Summicron-SLs are promised by year-end 2018, which probably means early next year...

adias

Re: Leica SL article/video
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 05:50:20 pm »

Also the Leica SL is far from the first camera to sport a control joystick - for example, the EOS system has had them for many generations, as well as the rubber-sealed covers of the I/O ports. Nothing new there.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:00:32 pm »

The SL was also introduced in Oct-2015, which is nearly 2.5 years ago.

Cheers,
Bernard

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 10:01:16 pm »

Bernard. . .  I know, my fault.  The SL video was sitting in our files and thus a bit late as far as the date reference.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Kirk_C

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 10:56:31 pm »

I know the SL is claimed to be targeting the 'Pro' photographer but I demoed one in the studio and it was fatiguing to use. It's big, slow and heavy. I shot with the R system back in the day and loved every minute of using them. Unfortunately I find nothing in the Leica lineup today that's as comfortable to use. Now I get that Leica look (micro-contrast etc) in the modern Zeiss lenses.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:00:16 pm by Kirk_C »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 07:51:25 am »

Bernard. . .  I know, my fault.  The SL video was sitting in our files and thus a bit late as far as the date reference.

Hi Kevin,

Very understandable, no issues. I just wanted to share the info.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 09:03:25 am »

I know the SL is claimed to be targeting the 'Pro' photographer but I demoed one in the studio and it was fatiguing to use. It's big, slow and heavy. I shot with the R system back in the day and loved every minute of using them. Unfortunately I find nothing in the Leica lineup today that's as comfortable to use. Now I get that Leica look (micro-contrast etc) in the modern Zeiss lenses.

So did Ernst Haas and afaik, so does William Klein to this day, despite an interview video where he holds a toy digital from the sponsor.

Pity the digital back wasn't taken up very widely; it might have tempted me off Nikon post-retirement, especially as my need for a wide range of lenses no longer applies and Leica prices wouldn't hurt so much because of that factor. Almost fell for the R6...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:54:10 am by Rob C »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 05:26:16 am »

Sure, Canon and Nikon have yet to launch a pro-oriented FF MILC, but... I hope when they do, their cameras will be a lot better than this Leica, really. This SL system seems like a dead end to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up