Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affinity Photo Win 10: Viveza 2 wrong colours  (Read 6390 times)

michaelsh

Affinity Photo Win 10: Viveza 2 wrong colours
« on: February 23, 2018, 06:59:15 am »

I have the latest Affinity Photo installed on a Win 10 machine and was also able to install / register the Nik collection, but the colours in Viveza are completely wrong. As an example see this thread and the included pictures:

Viveza wrong colors in Affinity Photo

I couldn't find any updates regarding this issue. Does anybody know about a fix or is this just a bug which right know renders Affinity Photo for Windows useless for me, as I do a lot of editing in Viveza (and Silver Efex 2, which works fine in Affinity Photo)?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Affinity Photo Win 10: Viveza 2 wrong colours
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:01:01 am »

I have not tried Viveza in Affinity but I am wondering about color space. I wonder if the NIK plugin is working in one color space and Affinity is in another?

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

michaelsh

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:27:16 am »

I have not tried Viveza in Affinity but I am wondering about color space. I wonder if the NIK plugin is working in one color space and Affinity is in another?

Alan

It's not a colour space issue, as far as I can see. The colours in Viveza are completely off - see the example in the thread I linked to (the one with the child).

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 10:41:14 am »

It's not a colour space issue, as far as I can see. The colours in Viveza are completely off - see the example in the thread I linked to (the one with the child).

Hi,

Are you using the latest NIK version (https://nikcollection.dxo.com/)?
Are your Raw conversions in 32-bit floating point, or 16-bit/channel?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

michaelsh

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 10:48:26 am »

Hi,

Are you using the latest NIK version (https://nikcollection.dxo.com/)?
Are your Raw conversions in 32-bit floating point, or 16-bit/channel?

Cheers,
Bart

I use the latest NIK version (it's some time NIK or Google did changes, though - I hope DXO will deliver on its promise and get a new version out this summer).

I don't understand your last question, to be honest. What could this have to do with the wrong colours Viveza shows in Affinity?

aderickson

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:38:22 pm »

Zoom the Viveza window to 100% and the colors become correct. That's the only solution I've found.

Allan

michaelsh

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 01:49:44 pm »

Zoom the Viveza window to 100% and the colors become correct. That's the only solution I've found.

Allan

Tried it (is also mentioned in the thread I linked) - doesn't work.
Would be useless for me, anyway, as I can't do proper edits in Viveza at 100%.
The Loupe though shows the correct colours.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 02:06:04 pm »

I don't understand your last question, to be honest. What could this have to do with the wrong colours Viveza shows in Affinity?

Affinity Photo allows to Raw convert and/or process images that are in 32bit floating point format. Maybe ViveZa can't deal with that?

Cheers,
Bart

michaelsh

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 02:22:09 pm »

Affinity Photo allows to Raw convert and/or process images that are in 32bit floating point format. Maybe ViveZa can't deal with that?

Cheers,
Bart

I use Sigma DP Merrills - do Raw conversion outside Affinity Photo. Then use the 16bit TIFFs for further editing in Affinity.
I have the same issue with Viveza when I use 8bit JPEGs.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 04:36:43 pm »

I use Sigma DP Merrills - do Raw conversion outside Affinity Photo. Then use the 16bit TIFFs for further editing in Affinity.
I have the same issue with Viveza when I use 8bit JPEGs.

Okay, just ticking off potential issues.

Cheers,
Bart

Dave Ellis

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 12:04:56 am »

I have the latest Affinity Photo installed on a Win 10 machine and was also able to install / register the Nik collection, but the colours in Viveza are completely wrong. As an example see this thread and the included pictures:

Viveza wrong colors in Affinity Photo

I couldn't find any updates regarding this issue. Does anybody know about a fix or is this just a bug which right know renders Affinity Photo for Windows useless for me, as I do a lot of editing in Viveza (and Silver Efex 2, which works fine in Affinity Photo)?

Hi Michael

I have the same problem as you and don't know of a proper fix. However what I have found is that I can get Viveza to work with proper colors by converting the tiff or jpeg to 8 bit and downsizing to no more than about 2000 pixels high. This is very strange and is not very satisfactory as I would rather do my editing on the full res 16 bit file as the master copy. There is a bit of a work around with this though-

Edit the downsized file in Viveza first and take note of all the settings and locations of the control points (a real pain if you have done extensive editing in Viveza).

Open the full res file in Viveza and set up the same control points and settings as before. The colors wont look right but you will find that when you save the edit and exit Viveza, the full res file edit will look the same as the low res edit. In other words, the editing settings do get applied properly, you just cant see them properly because of the wrong display colors in Viveza.

Might be worth trying, particularly for fairly simple edits.

Dave

michaelsh

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 12:54:54 am »

Hi Michael

I have the same problem as you and don't know of a proper fix. However what I have found is that I can get Viveza to work with proper colors by converting the tiff or jpeg to 8 bit and downsizing to no more than about 2000 pixels high. This is very strange and is not very satisfactory as I would rather do my editing on the full res 16 bit file as the master copy. There is a bit of a work around with this though-

Edit the downsized file in Viveza first and take note of all the settings and locations of the control points (a real pain if you have done extensive editing in Viveza).

Open the full res file in Viveza and set up the same control points and settings as before. The colors wont look right but you will find that when you save the edit and exit Viveza, the full res file edit will look the same as the low res edit. In other words, the editing settings do get applied properly, you just cant see them properly because of the wrong display colors in Viveza.

Might be worth trying, particularly for fairly simple edits.

Dave

Hi Dave,

thanks for the tip.

My workaround right now is: use PS to work on the 16bit TIFF in Viveza and wait for Affinity and perhaps DXO to release new versions which will work together properly  :)

Cheers Michael

Remko

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 08:26:41 am »

I have the latest version (1.6.7) of Affinity Photo for Mac installed and run into the same issue. To me it looks like a color management issue - probably within AP. I always work with 16 bit TIFF files in the ProPhoto RGB color space. ALL plugins from third parties within AF show a photo where the color is completely off. And in my case very green.
I have plugins installed from NIK, Focus Magic and Topaz Lab.

When I convert a TIFF file to the sRGB color space though all is fine within every third party plugin. That is why I think it is a color management issue.

Now this issue exist already for a long time. When reading that with the latest version a lot improvements where made with plugins, I was very happy. Till I tried the latest version - nothing had changed related to the color issue.

cheers,
Remko

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 08:40:26 am »

Now this issue exist already for a long time. When reading that with the latest version a lot improvements where made with plugins, I was very happy. Till I tried the latest version - nothing had changed related to the color issue.

Hi Remko,

Make sure to report this in their Bug section for the Mac version, on their forum. Unless they are made aware, they will not give it any priority (or even know there is an issue).

Cheers,
Bart

michaelsh

It is indeed a ProPhotoRGB issue
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 11:07:55 am »

I have the latest version (1.6.7) of Affinity Photo for Mac installed and run into the same issue. To me it looks like a color management issue - probably within AP. I always work with 16 bit TIFF files in the ProPhoto RGB color space. ALL plugins from third parties within AF show a photo where the color is completely off. And in my case very green.
I have plugins installed from NIK, Focus Magic and Topaz Lab.

When I convert a TIFF file to the sRGB color space though all is fine within every third party plugin. That is why I think it is a color management issue.

cheers,
Remko

I should have made it more clear in my initial post that I always work with 16bit TIFFs in ProPhotoRGB.
When I convert to Adobe RGB, Viveza works fine as Affinity plugin - the colours are correct.

jeremyrh

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 11:48:14 am »

Here is a video that sheds some light on the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnG4mD5y6AA

Strange that it's just Viveza that has an issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up