Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What about Hasselblad mirrorless?  (Read 2681 times)

David Watson

• David Watson
What about Hasselblad mirrorless?
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:05:25 pm »

I really like this site but I am uninterested in stories about Leica and Phase One.  The elephant in the room is Hasselblad and what it is doing with the X1D.  I know Kevin likes Leica in the way that I like a Rolls Royce but I live in the real world.  I know that he used to work for Phase One  but that accounts for a tiny tiny fraction of the market. Why isn't this site talking about MF mirrorless like the X1D and what the rest of the herd are doing about this?

I recently posted to ask for an MF Mirrorless thread.  Hasselblad are breaking new ground and with the latest firmware this is a seriously useful camera for amateurs and professionals alike. Why isn't this forum talking about it it?   
David Watson ARPS

DP

Re: What about Hasselblad mirrorless?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 05:16:26 pm »

I really like this site but I am uninterested in stories about Leica and Phase One.  The elephant in the room is Hasselblad and what it is doing with the X1D.  I know Kevin likes Leica in the way that I like a Rolls Royce but I live in the real world.  I know that he used to work for Phase One  but that accounts for a tiny tiny fraction of the market. Why isn't this site talking about MF mirrorless like the X1D and what the rest of the herd are doing about this?

I recently posted to ask for an MF Mirrorless thread.  Hasselblad are breaking new ground and with the latest firmware this is a seriously useful camera for amateurs and professionals alike. Why isn't this forum talking about it it?

Hasselblad MF mirrorless - Ming Thein's blog
Fuji MF mirrorless - Jim Kasson's blog

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:43:45 pm »

We have featured the Hasselblad X1D early on before anyone else.  We have interviews with the past CEO's and no one else had any.  We had an update at PhotoPlus on the site.  I don't play favorites contrary to popular opinion.  Phase One is talked about a lot because they talk to us and they are also doing some cool stuff.  We are doing the Leica story because there is a story of a legacy camera company that has transformed itself.  I'll be approaching Hasselblad again soon.  All our contacts, CEO's and past Presidents are no longer there and as far I know they still have an interim CEO.  I'll be meeting with Hasselblad early next month.  I am meeting with Fuji this week.  So, there is a lot being worked on. 

MF has come alive again and I certainly see that.  We'll be doing a lot with this format as we go through the year.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 02:24:43 am »

Thanks Kevin - I don't want to sound like  a fan boy.  I know that you have done a lot in the past and that Leica is interesting in the way that presidents and royalty are.  Please excuse my straightforward Scottish ancestry leading me to asking questions in a less than subtle way.

The X1D with the latest firmware is now a much more usable and useful system.  There is a huge range of lens adapters now available allowing just about any lens to be used (but maybe not that usefully) on the X1D body.  There is a lot of talk about an X1D-100 which will be incredible.  Perhaps an updated review with the new firmware, the 120mm lens, and some adapters might be worth doing?

Keep up the good work.
David Watson ARPS

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 02:27:53 am »

Hi,

Ming Thein is chief of strategy, or somethink like that Hasselblad. So he is an insider, which is a good thing as long as you aware of it.

Jim Kasson is a scientist in retirement who investigates what interests him. But, he is deeply impressed by the Fuji GFX system, mostly the lenses but also the rest of the system. Yes, Jim writes a lot about the GFX, but he is no insider.

Best regards
Erik

Hasselblad MF mirrorless - Ming Thein's blog
Fuji MF mirrorless - Jim Kasson's blog
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 02:41:31 am »

Hi Kevin,

Yes, you have been posting on both the Hasselblad X1D and the Fuji GFX. I think that those cameras have done lot of good for medium format, and it is good to have Fuji and Hassy keeping each other honest.

I think you have been far to negative on DJI's involvement with Hasselblad. During your interview with Perry Oosting, he pressed on DJI being an excellent investor. It seems that when Hasselblad needed to expand their old owner was not around but DJI was.

Chinese investment is not a bad thing. Volvo is now own by Geely, a Chinese company. Since being acquired by Geely they have two new factories in China and sales essentially doubled with a new sales record each year since 2015. Also Geely has set up a new development center in Gothenburg employing around 2000 engineers.

All that said, personally I feel a bit burned about MFD and I don't have tons of money to spend, so I am just an interested onlooker.

Best regards
Erik

We have featured the Hasselblad X1D early on before anyone else.  We have interviews with the past CEO's and no one else had any.  We had an update at PhotoPlus on the site.  I don't play favorites contrary to popular opinion.  Phase One is talked about a lot because they talk to us and they are also doing some cool stuff.  We are doing the Leica story because there is a story of a legacy camera company that has transformed itself.  I'll be approaching Hasselblad again soon.  All our contacts, CEO's and past Presidents are no longer there and as far I know they still have an interim CEO.  I'll be meeting with Hasselblad early next month.  I am meeting with Fuji this week.  So, there is a lot being worked on. 

MF has come alive again and I certainly see that.  We'll be doing a lot with this format as we go through the year.
Erik Kaffehr

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 10:21:16 am »

Eric,
I wasn't negative, I was saying I hope they didn't change the culture.  A lot of what I have reported on Hasselblad at that time came from the inside.  I have nothing about Chinese or any company's involvement as long as the product is strengthened.  There was a lot of turmoil in HB back then and recently too.   Just for the record, I drive a Swedish car (Volvo) who is owned by a Chinese company and the result there is a great car made even better.  I ask this question today, Why hasn't DJI stepped up to the plate and said they owned HB and shared what their vision is for the future? 

In my last interview with the President of HB he said in a very PC way that DJI want to stand on their accomplishments.  My feelings are that they are afraid to give a major statement and then if something happens and they have to back off or whatever then they don't look good.  As a customer of high-end products, I would like to hear what the leadership has to say.  Sony, Fuji, Nikon, and others are at least having their leadership talk about the future and present.  At this time I believe that in the US there is an interim President, as well as the CEO of the company, is an interim CEO.  I have seen nothing to say otherwise. 

I would love to sit down with the CEO as I used to with Perry and hear about the plans for the future and have a reassurance that something is happening to say there is a future.  I believe DPR recently visited the factory and showed cameras being made but commented on the small number of employees.  So, if HB is listening, get in touch with me and let's talk. I love your company, have owned many HBs and would like to explore the future with you.

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

DP

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 10:26:06 am »

Hi,

Ming Thein is chief of strategy, or somethink like that Hasselblad. So he is an insider, which is a good thing as long as you aware of it.

And he does make a point to mention this specifically, does he not ?

Jim Kasson is a scientist in retirement who investigates what interests him. But, he is deeply impressed by the Fuji GFX system, mostly the lenses but also the rest of the system. Yes, Jim writes a lot about the GFX, but he is no insider.

He does gear tests - which are better than you have from any insiders.

DP

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 10:29:24 am »

Just for the record, I drive a Swedish car (Volvo) who is owned by a Chinese company and the result there is a great car made even better.  I ask this question today, Why hasn't DJI stepped up to the plate and said they owned HB and shared what their vision is for the future? 

I do not think that Volvo dealerships have words "China" or "Geely" anywhere in the showrooms or on the cars... hmmmm, why is that ? why Chinese Geely is not telling the buyers straight away in a visible manner they own Volvo and share their vision under their name spelled directly ?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 04:18:11 pm »

Hi,

A shared vision of the future would be nice. But companies will not present it. Why? Because they want to sell what they have now.

My understanding is that the interim CEO is in charge of production. Could be a lot worse. The owners may just find that he is the right guy doing the right job?

You know, this is Scandinavia, the region of "lagom" that is compromise. Perhaps a combination of Nordic "lagomness" combined Chinese innovation. Just to say, in my business I worked with a lot of Chinese engineers and they were great guys (and dolls) to work with.

I think it is a bit natural. The center of gravity moves from Europe to North America, to Japan, followed by South Korea. Next station is China and the final bus stop is in India.

Best regards
Erik

Just for the record, I drive a Swedish car (Volvo) who is owned by a Chinese company and the result there is a great car made even better.  I ask this question today, Why hasn't DJI stepped up to the plate and said they owned HB and shared what their vision is for the future? 

In my last interview with the President of HB he said in a very PC way that DJI want to stand on their accomplishments.  My feelings are that they are afraid to give a major statement and then if something happens and they have to back off or whatever then they don't look good.  As a customer of high-end products, I would like to hear what the leadership has to say.  Sony, Fuji, Nikon, and others are at least having their leadership talk about the future and present.  At this time I believe that in the US there is an interim President, as well as the CEO of the company, is an interim CEO.  I have seen nothing to say otherwise. 

Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 12:55:22 am »

Hi,

Ming Thein knows what Hasselblad vill release in the coming three years or. That is relevant.

Jim does excellent testing, I have great admiration for his skills, enthusiasm and ambition to share. But he is not informed by Fuji about their plans.

From what Ming Thein says, it seems that next generation 44x33 sensor is the 100MP sensor, so there will be no upgrade of the 50MP sensor.

Best regards
Erik

And he does make a point to mention this specifically, does he not ?

Erik Kaffehr

BAB

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 05:50:31 pm »

Action speaks louder than words, I don't see a lot of teasers from the Asian manufactures they just seem to release product.
I'm sure Hasselblad's firmware is being written fast by the team of coders at DJI and implemented very slowly after being massaged in Europe. I can only imagine what it takes to bring new hardware to the market when you depend on third party manufacturers to produce for you...not to mention when your not able to look outside the box because of your strong beliefs in the past. It sounds like from all the bit and pieces of rumors Hasselblad is about to have a very good year. Now is Chinese New years so lets give them a chance to preform.

As for Phase One I think they are doing fine and have an interesting way of adding features to the system might could use some heip with hardware.
As for Leica they seem to be floundering all over the place but that the Leica way!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »

Action speaks louder than words, I don't see a lot of teasers from the Asian manufactures they just seem to release product.

Fuji sure pre-announced the GFX. But they probably wanted to freeze the market as much as they could because Hasselblad had already announced the X1D, and they didn't have to worry about the Osborne Syndrome. My recollection is, as it turned out, Hasselblad actually took longer than Fuji to clear the waiting lists, though.

Fuji pre-announced most of the GFX lenses, and the 250 won't ship for a while. I think the users of a new system value having a lens roadmap, especially if the manufacturers are good at delivering to it.

Jim

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 02:05:39 am »

Fuji pre-announced most of the GFX lenses, and the 250 won't ship for a while. I think the users of a new system value having a lens roadmap, especially if the manufacturers are good at delivering to it.

Jim

I don’t own a Fuji but I love their roadmaps... I think it is one of the best things Fuji is doing... it is users have a clear picture of what it is coming in the following year or year and a half and they can plane their buying if something is interesting...

http://dgpfotografia.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Seen today
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 01:10:34 pm »

Hasselblad on display at Museum of Photography in Stockholm:

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up