Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saturation = Dopamine  (Read 2032 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Saturation = Dopamine
« on: February 13, 2018, 03:28:05 pm »

These days mobile phones have an option to display everything as grayscale for accessibility. Some tech hotshot on tv suggests to switch your phone to display everything in grayscale, so you will recognise it as merely a tool. The highly saturated, colorful icons are meant to trigger a dopamine response were we are seduced to interact with it.

Made me wonder about modern photography and the often excessive use of the saturation slider...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

Re: Saturation = Dopamine
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:34:03 pm »

These days mobile phones have an option to display everything as grayscale for accessibility. Some tech hotshot on tv suggests to switch your phone to display everything in grayscale, so you will recognise it as merely a tool. The highly saturated, colorful icons are meant to trigger a dopamine response were we are seduced to interact with it.

Made me wonder about modern photography and the often excessive use of the saturation slider...

Maybe it's for the producer to feel at least something within his own work? Self-hypnosis?

Yet another reason to concentrate on b/white imagery!

;-)

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:13:34 pm »

This is interesting to me because I recently switched the electronic viewfinder in my Sony A6500 from color to black & white (effects the LCD too.) The change was at first meant solely to test whether after many years of using B&W film only, my mind had become conditioned to perceiving forms and patterns rather than seeing the interplay of color. But strangely after a few tests I find I’m able to comprehend color better when the viewfinder is in black & white. Still testing as this may be nothing more than a slight excitement to the brain from the novelty of the switch.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:48:19 pm »

This is interesting to me because I recently switched the electronic viewfinder in my Sony A6500 from color to black & white (effects the LCD too.) The change was at first meant solely to test whether after many years of using B&W film only, my mind had become conditioned to perceiving forms and patterns rather than seeing the interplay of color. But strangely after a few tests I find I’m able to comprehend color better when the viewfinder is in black & white. Still testing as this may be nothing more than a slight excitement to the brain from the novelty of the switch.

[ X ] withdrawal symptoms

;D
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 05:25:07 pm »

Ah... nothing will beat a good pentaprism. It will probably be replaced, of course, but perhaps that will be just more babies and bath water.

How is it people find reality difficult - it never used to be a problem looking at life and working with it instead of thinking it the enemy?

:-(

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 05:40:27 am »

"Modern photography"? What about Velvia in the 1990's?

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 06:59:57 am »

Hopeless for people, but you can make nice scanned conversions today from that film, and people look good in the b/white translation from the scans.

Velvia caught a period where exaggeration, big hair etc. was what turned people on. Maybe C&W music still does use big hair...

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 10:32:26 am »

[ X ] withdrawal symptoms

;D

Ha! Undoubtedly  :)

Ah... nothing will beat a good pentaprism. It will probably be replaced, of course, but perhaps that will be just more babies and bath water.

How is it people find reality difficult - it never used to be a problem looking at life and working with it instead of thinking it the enemy?

:-(

I agree, and there's a subtlety or more relaxed feeling when seeing through a glass pentaprism. Unfortunately I now need to carry lighter gear which the mirrorless cameras offer.

Yep, and in fact two recent movies, La La Land and The Florida Project, both of which were made with 35mm film, show just how vivid film can be. Amazing color.
Pages: [1]   Go Up