Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glen Etive  (Read 1491 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Glen Etive
« on: February 13, 2018, 02:50:25 pm »

This shot is from a couple of weeks ago.

We went to Glen Coe for a couple of days again recently and I took this on the Saturday evening, which I thought was the end of a very good day for photography indeed, but the next day Sunday, was just one of those amazing OMG photography days. All the mountain were capped with fresh snow from the night before, whispy high sirrus clouds rippled across the sky everywhere like waves in the ocean and not a breath of wind in the air all day long. There was warm hazy sunshine throughout the day and everywhere you turned the lochs looked like black polished glass, oh and the sunset when it came was not only jaw dropping, but seemed to last for several hours and until I actually got fedup of photographing it.

What a weekend that was and I will probably have to wait quite a few years before I see another one even half as good  :D

Was anyone on Lula at Glen Coe at the same time? I saw lots of people out with their cameras, so surely someone on this forum must have been there at the same time as me and can corroborate what I am saying is true?

Sorry guys, not trying to make you jealous or anything, it's just that I am still fizzing about it.

Dave

Alskoj

Re: Glen Etive
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:21:11 pm »

Outstanding!

guido

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:42:56 pm »

Lovely image Dave! Well seen, well processed.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 03:15:37 am »

Sorry guys, not trying to make you jealous or anything, it's just that I am still fizzing about it.
*sigh*

thierrylegros396

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 03:56:25 am »

Lovely image Dave! Well seen, well processed.

+1

Thierry

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 04:12:38 am »

Good landscape.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 09:18:19 am »

Very effective, Dave. I'm curious about the colour version.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:29:13 pm »

Looks great! I had a similar sunset experience recently where it just kept going and getting better until I was tired of it. Not a bad problem to have!
-MattB

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 11:54:32 am »

Thanks everyone  ;)

Very effective, Dave. I'm curious about the colour version.

I am afraid there never was a colour version as such, as I mainly processed all the files in ACR and then stitched them all straight back together in PS under Photomerge as a mono. You see when I was taking the shots, the light spilling over into the bottom of the glen to the right, was still so hot that when I metered it as I took a test shot, the camera suggested that I should underexpose by about 2 stops, so I did. This made the images on my review screen look very dark and monochromatic and which I very much liked the look of. So as I was using a Sony sensor and people keep saying how they are supposed to be sooooo good at allowing you to lift up the details, even out of the thickest of black shadows, I decided to stick with what the camera was telling me and underexpose by 2 stops, even though the mountain sides were quite dark by this time other than where the light was hitting them and lo and behold it worked.

But I did take many shots in the glen that evening and so I do have a colour version from a short time before I took the mono shot and when the clouds seemed to be blocking out most of the hot areas in the sky.

This shot is really the result of me just having a play around and trying to create a really, really super wide pano shot. So even though this looks like a shot of Horseshoe Bend or something, it is actually a vertical orientation 180 degree stitched pano, that is so enormous that when I load it on screen, it makes the cooling fans on my computer wind up to full speed and sound like an hovercraft flying over a thin metal tray covered in rusty ball-bearings.

So I don't think I will be creating any more vertical 180's for a while :)

Dave
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:09:42 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

guido

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 01:19:32 pm »

Wow! Time for a new computer. That last one is stunning! Bravo!

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 03:38:00 pm »

They are both excellent!

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 03:49:57 pm »

Wow! Time for a new computer. That last one is stunning! Bravo!

Thanks for those kind thoughts Guido and my computer isn't that bad really, although I could certainly use a new one and believe it or not, this isn't the biggest image file I have recently created and stored on it by a long, long way.

They are both excellent!

Thank you  :)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up