Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad CFV 39 tethered cable/s  (Read 2294 times)

paulla

Hasselblad CFV 39 tethered cable/s
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:34:04 pm »

Howdy folks,

I recently picked up a Hassy CFV39. I've used the 132c system for many years and am absolutely happy with it. I looked into the H3/4/5 and decided that having to upgrade all the lenses was not very cost effective for me. So I found a CFV39. The extra megapixels are nice to have, as well as the portability.

I shoot in the studio 90 percent of the time and use live view so the stylist and graphic designer can follow their layouts and see the screen before we make any captures.

The CFV39 came with a 15 foot 400-800 firewire cable. My macbook does not have the older 400 style port, but I have a five foot 800-800 firewire cable and it works fine while tethered to my macbook. No problems with live view or captures. But, I need a cable that is at least 30 feet long. My 132c cable is about that long and I have never had trouble with it. I ordered a 10 meter firewire cable from tether tools, and it powers the CFV but no live view and no capture transfers. I am guessing the cable is too long or maybe I got a bad one?

I searched the web and found a USB to firewire cable, and was wondering if anyone here used one, or if maybe I need a shorter 800-800 firewire cable that might work. I have heard of firewire repeaters, but not sure how they work.

Any info about the cable systems you guys with CFV 39's use while tethered would be greatly appreciated. Glad I did not ditch the 132C. It is a workhorse. Hope the CFV 39 can be also.

Thanks so much,

Paul

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Hasselblad CFV 39 tethered cable/s
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:05:05 pm »

On Phase One systems we've never found a 30 foot FW cable that works more reliably than the official Phase One 30ft firewire cable. Using that cable we recommend P1 clients disable using the cable to power or charge the back, and advise them that the FireWire spec itself is limited to 15 feet. But with those two caveats in mind we've found this cable to be very stable across a huge variety of test cases and experience.

All of that experience and testing was done with P1 backs as we sell Hasselblad bodies and lenses, but not their digital backs. So take it for what it's worth. If you're near NYC or LA and want to try one of these cables on your system before you buy you'd be welcome to use our test lab/studio.

I searched the web and found a USB to firewire cable, and was wondering if anyone here used one, or if maybe I need a shorter 800-800 firewire cable that might work. I have heard of firewire repeaters, but not sure how they work.

The cable you found is likely related to allowing *charging* a firewire-model iPod from a USB port back in the olden days. Do not buy it; it will not work for what you want. There is absolutely no such thing as a Firewire-to-USB cable you could use to connect a firewire digital back to a USB port for the purpose of tethering; USB and Firewire are entirely different protocols.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:09:55 pm by Doug Peterson »

paulla

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 02:07:11 pm »

On Phase One systems we've never found a 30 foot FW cable that works more reliably than the official Phase One 30ft firewire cable. Using that cable we recommend P1 clients disable using the cable to power or charge the back, and advise them that the FireWire spec itself is limited to 15 feet. But with those two caveats in mind we've found this cable to be very stable across a huge variety of test cases and experience.

All of that experience and testing was done with P1 backs as we sell Hasselblad bodies and lenses, but not their digital backs. So take it for what it's worth. If you're near NYC or LA and want to try one of these cables on your system before you buy you'd be welcome to use our test lab/studio.

The cable you found is likely related to allowing *charging* a firewire-model iPod from a USB port back in the olden days. Do not buy it; it will not work for what you want. There is absolutely no such thing as a Firewire-to-USB cable you could use to connect a firewire digital back to a USB port for the purpose of tethering; USB and Firewire are entirely different protocols.

Thanks for the info Doug, I am in the central time zone, so I can't stop in. Thanks for the offer.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 05:42:35 am »

Thanks for the info Doug, I am in the central time zone, so I can't stop in. Thanks for the offer.

Speaking as an ex-engineer, cables and contacts are a recurring source of problems, and often it is easier to solve cable issues with a workaround and keep using a cable that has proven reliable.

In this case you could maybe solve some issues by remotely operating the tethering comp; eg with a wireless keyboard and mouse and a large second monitor, or even over the net from another device using remote access software? ? That way you wouldn't need to be anywhere near the actual computer for viewing and operation ...

Edmund
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:48:02 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:26:54 am »

Speaking as an ex-engineer, cables and contacts are a recurring source of problems, and often it is easier to solve cable issues with a workaround and keep using a cable that has proven reliable.

In this case you could maybe solve some issues by remotely operating the tethering comp; eg with a wireless keyboard and mouse and a large second monitor, or even over the net from another device using remote access software? ? That way you wouldn't need to be anywhere near the actual computer for viewing and operation ...

Edmund

I bet some hearts yearn for Polaroid backs...

I used to have problems with ordinary flash synch. cables to Nikon and, less so, Hassy 500. Didn't have radio connections that I knew of in those years. Would have looked so cool - but I used to get so emotionally involved in the shoot that I might have poked an eye out. My own.

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:19:02 am »

Which Mac are you using?  If you have Thunderbolt, you can do a long optical TB cable, to a dock with firewire (Belkin, etc) and then a short FW cable to the back.

Another option is the Unibrain FW800 items - https://www.unibrain.com/product-category/firewire-repeaters/
t: @PNWMF

paulla

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:37:45 am »

I used to have problems with ordinary flash synch. cables to Nikon and, less so, Hassy 500. Didn't have radio connections that I knew of in those years. Would have looked so cool - but I used to get so emotionally involved in the shoot that I might have poked an eye out. My own.

Speaking of riot backs, I have two in my bag, last used to make transfers while I was subbing for an art class.

Edmund,
I like your train of thought, but I am shooting the CFV on the 500cm platform. No remote shooting for me. I am using two monitors at all times. A 15 foot cable with a repeater to another 15 foot cable is probably going to be the way I solve this issue.

My Macbook TB is being used for the external monitor. Upgrading the newer macbook takes away a lot of ports, and the internals are not upgradable.

Thanks for all the replies, this has helped tremendously.

eronald

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:49:30 pm »

Speaking of riot backs, I have two in my bag, last used to make transfers while I was subbing for an art class.

Edmund,
I like your train of thought, but I am shooting the CFV on the 500cm platform. No remote shooting for me. I am using two monitors at all times. A 15 foot cable with a repeater to another 15 foot cable is probably going to be the way I solve this issue.

My Macbook TB is being used for the external monitor. Upgrading the newer macbook takes away a lot of ports, and the internals are not upgradable.

Thanks for all the replies, this has helped tremendously.

Just use a monitor/keyboard/mouse extension thingie or software eg VNC and leave the computer, firewire cables etc as they stand ...
BTW, without wanting to be rude, it is usual for photographers to take pix, car mechanics to repair cars, why not pay a geek to deal with this?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

eronald

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 09:51:46 pm »

Rob,

How are you doing these days? Shooting fom your deck chair, with an iPhone remote in one hand and a cocktail in the other?

Edmund

Joe Towner

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 12:35:34 am »

A 15 foot cable with a repeater to another 15 foot cable is probably going to be the way I solve this issue.

My Macbook TB is being used for the external monitor.

If the TB needs to be on the far end, then flip it - place the MBP with the back & do the long TB cable back to the monitor/USB3 stuff. 

I'd reach out to Unibrain about the Cat5 solution - even if a bit slower at fw400, it may be more stable.  They also have 10m cables.
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up