Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica Monochrom - sent back  (Read 17568 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Leica Monochrom - sent back
« on: February 12, 2018, 11:23:36 am »

Well, I sent the Monochrom and 75mm lens back to B&H. I love the rangefinder shooting, being an old M3 fan from many years ago, and it certainly took nice photos. But I could not see that the monochrome images it took were any better than those I convert from color using other cameras. And I missed the ability to adjust the final B&W image based on color values. The lens was a disappointment. At $3800 I expected something exceptional and while it was very good it did not shine above my other lenses.

So back it went. I have other uses for $11,000!!

Rob C

Re: Leica Monochrom - sent back
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:09:57 am »

You are so fortunate to live in a society where you can do that.

The most I could manage here in Mallorca (and that was having access to a wholesaler) was to substitute. Money back? You had got to be kidding.

;-(

PeterAit

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:27:26 am »

The most I could manage here in Mallorca (and that was having access to a wholesaler) was to substitute. Money back? You had got to be kidding.

;-(

Perhaps living in Mallorca is compensation enough <g>!

Kirk_C

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:07:00 pm »

It takes more than just living in a particular society to have the option.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 03:30:26 pm »

Perhaps living in Mallorca is compensation enough <g>!

By the way, I wasn't talking about exchanging a Leica! I never got that far.

;-)

Rob

PeterAit

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:48:46 am »

By the way, I wasn't talking about exchanging a Leica! I never got that far.

;-)

Rob

This is why I always buy photo gear from BH - their 30 day return policy. You can find slightly cheaper prices elsewhere but I like the peace of mind.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 03:28:12 am »

;-(

I thought distance selling laws were the same throughout the EU - 14 day no quibble return if you buy mail order. So, guess what. I always buy mail order even when I'm 99% sure I want the product. I'd rather buy from a local store but the only one who stocked what I wanted wouldn't do 'collect in store' which if paid for on-line attracts the distance selling rules.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 12:48:47 pm »

I thought distance selling laws were the same throughout the EU - 14 day no quibble return if you buy mail order. So, guess what. I always buy mail order even when I'm 99% sure I want the product. I'd rather buy from a local store but the only one who stocked what I wanted wouldn't do 'collect in store' which if paid for on-line attracts the distance selling rules.

I don't know what the legal situation might have been in Spain, but I bought from a wholesaler - of repute - because as a pro I was able to avoid the extortionate retail pricing that was current. It was a thing worth protecting, especially as I used to buy lots of Kodachrome from them. Unfortunately, the wholesaler had to order the lens, nothing expensive was ever in stock - so it was sight-unseen. Had I been able to see it first, never mind try it, it would not have been bought because the hope had been for a reasonably light lens.... the thing is massive in real life!

The problem existed with a single product: a Nikkor zoom, which was the first and last zoom I ever bought. Perhaps I was unrealistic expecting it to match my old manual primes, but there you go, it wasn't giving me what I required. It must have been a lemon, because Russ has one of the same lengths and produces great stuff from it.

However, the wholesaler has closed on this island because of the ramifications from digital: most of the materials for printing etc. that the island's snappers used to buy became redundant because their own clients became capable of making home prints via computer.

It's a tough life when the rug gets pulled for no fault of one's own.

:-(

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 02:16:59 pm »

We are talking of some years ago then.

I have become very cautious about significant purchases but have done similar things in the past.

SrMi

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 01:33:46 pm »

This is why I always buy photo gear from BH - their 30 day return policy. You can find slightly cheaper prices elsewhere but I like the peace of mind.

Yes, their 30 day return policy is really great. I wonder what they do with all the returned merchandise? Sell it as new to others?

Rand47

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 05:04:04 pm »

Well, heck.... I’ve been wasting my money by renting equipment I merely wanted to evaluate.  Stupid me. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Kirk_C

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 12:25:11 am »

Yes, their 30 day return policy is really great. I wonder what they do with all the returned merchandise? Sell it as new to others?

They discount it along with the grey market equipment they sell. They're not quite so blatant about it these days but I understand it continues.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 11:48:33 am »

Caveat emptor.

I never knew this to happen when we had real shops.

;-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up