Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotary Trimmer Necessary with Roll Paper?  (Read 3042 times)

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
Rotary Trimmer Necessary with Roll Paper?
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:18:40 am »

I am preparing to get started with roll printing on my Epson P800.  I read that loading roll paper can be finicky, and the leading edge needs to be perfectly square.  Is a good rotary trimmer a necessary tool when working with roll paper?  If so, the Rotatrim models seem favorably regarded on this board.  I am also thinking a de-roller might be a worthwhile investment.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Rotary Trimmer Necessary with Roll Paper?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:17:47 am »

I use a Rotatrim Mastercut II. It's a bit expensive, but well worth it. Very precise and robust.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:41:30 am »

I use a Rotatrim Mastercut II. It's a bit expensive, but well worth it. Very precise and robust.

Mark, is it essential for working with roll paper?

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 10:46:43 am »

I don't have a rotary trimmer, nor am I bothered by loading rolls cut with a utility knife.  Neither my Epson 9800 nor my HPZ3200 care about loading these definitely non-square 44" wide cuts. 

I feel no need for a de-roller, either.  I use an empty media cardboard tube.

What trimming I do is easily accomplished with my Logan matte cutter - a more versatile tool, IMHO.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:03:15 am »

Mark, is it essential for working with roll paper?

No, not essential - what Peter McLennan suggested of course also works. It's a matter of taste. Personally, I find such a trimmer easier to achieve precision with than a utility knife, but that just means Peter has more manual dexterity than I do! :-)
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Schmoe

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:01:04 pm »

FWIW, if you don't mind a novice perspective:  I'm new to the world of printing.  I picked up a P800 with roller, and decided to try and do most of my printing using roll paper because it seems like a more cost effective way to go.  I also picked up a trimmer, a Dahle 554, which you could argue blew away any arguments about cost effectiveness, but I digress.  I tried this setup for the first time this weekend, and the trimmer honestly makes the whole process very nice and convenient.  For me, where my goal is to try and print any/all sizes from roll paper, I currently don't see how I'd get along without a trimmer and still enjoy the process.  My $0.02.

aduke

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 12:11:03 pm »

When I moved from a 4880 (auto cut) to the P800 (manual cut), I simply employ the ruled cutting mat, a 40" ruler and a utility knife to trim the ends of the roll. It hasn't complained yet.

The mat, knife and ruler are also employed when trimming and mounting the prints produced.

Alan

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:34:00 pm »

Sounds like I can hold off on either a trimmer/mat cutter or a de-roller, and get my feet wet in the roll printing process.  If I find further motivation to acquire any of these tools/toys, I can do so later.

Thanks all for your input!

patjoja

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 04:56:16 pm »

Sounds like I can hold off on either a trimmer/mat cutter or a de-roller, and get my feet wet in the roll printing process.  If I find further motivation to acquire any of these tools/toys, I can do so later.

Thanks all for your input!

I think there's a good chance at some point you will want to consider adding a trimmer to your equipment list.  I can't imagine my studio without one, but I suppose it depends a great deal on your volume and your process.

Regarding your P800, I think once you get your paper going you'll be okay with uneven cutoffs, but the issue will be if you have to reload the paper.  If you do, having square ends may become more important, and I doubt a cut off end will suffice.  You may find yourself removing the roll and re-cutting the ends.  Also keep in mind that not all printers are the same.  While some printers may accept less than square edges, others may not.  From what I've read, the P800 may be more sensitive to non-square ends.  But I have no experience with that model, so I really wish you the best.  On my iPF6450, I periodically have to re-trim the ends of a roll...kind of a pain, but it doesn't happen often.

Patrick

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 05:03:23 pm »

No, not essential - what Peter McLennan suggested of course also works. It's a matter of taste. Personally, I find such a trimmer easier to achieve precision with than a utility knife, but that just means Peter has more manual dexterity than I do! :-)

Not necessarily! :)

I use the Logan matte cutter for most of what Rotatrims will do.  I only deign to go full manual when I have to.

pearlstreet

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 10:28:38 pm »

I LOVE my rotary trimmer. Wouldn't give it up.

Asael

• Asael Dror
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 10:43:22 pm »

I use a Logan matte cutter -- but really think I should get a rotary trimmer, the matte cutter sort of does the job, but just sort of...

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 11:14:40 pm »

I use a Logan matte cutter ... the matte cutter sort of does the job, but just sort of...

Agreed.  But I don't think I need both.  For lightweight materials, a rotary cutter is convenient and precise, but I think it'd struggle with foam core. My Logan handles it with ease.  Art boards and Gator, too.  Thank goodness we have such choice.

Stoic

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 08:09:13 pm »

I'm in a similar place, with a P800 and considering the economies of working with roll paper. I can say if you are considering working with canvas, don't bother with a Logan mat cutter, a new blade lasted about 4 cuts before it wouldn't cut cleanly any more. Even on the second cut of Epson Water Resistant Matte canvas, it frayed at the tail end of the canvas, and most cuts thereafter. Instead I've invested in both a 18" t-square and a 16" x 24" roofers square, and will try working with an accurate 90 degtree line and a hobby knife. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a rotary cutter, but don't have space for yet another large board. If you're competent with a hobby knife, it should be okay. When I do eventually get one, it'll most likely be a Rotatrim MasterCut MCA2, single square bare, or the Professional M24 with twin bars.

My other reasoning was, if you should print off a panorama which doesn't utilize the full 17" width of the paper, you're still going to have to use the hobby knife  on the longer side anyway.

Regarding the D-Rolller, there are a few videos out there showing home made equivalents. I'd build myself a good one.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 04:28:09 pm »

Necessary -- No, but a real time saver.

Yes you can cut with a straightedge and a self-healing mat or with a Logan mat cutter.  Both will make good cuts.  Question is how easy and convenient are they?  The Rotatrim is very convenient and fast for cutting out multiple images from a sheet that you print.  It also can trim off a very thin amount if you miss the mark by a bit.  I have both and wouldn't be without them but if you are just trimming square the roll paper the convenience of a rotary trimer may not be worth the investment.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 05:56:50 pm »

Will a Rotatrim cut canvas?  I've never tried.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 08:02:06 pm »

To tell you the truth I haven't either (till tonight)  I usually print on Breathing Color Lyve on my P9000 and trim the edges with a straightedge and Olfal knife on a self healing mat as the canvas prints are usually larger than my smaller 24" Rotatrim.  But I tried it tonight and was surprised how easy and clean the cuts were with the Rotatrim.  So yes it can and quite nicely but not sure if it will require a blade change earlier than usual as the canvas is quite thick.  BTW I have had two of the Rotatrims for 20 years or more and cut more prints than I can imagine and no blade change or maintenance over all these years.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 08:13:32 pm »

Thanks, Robert.  My Logan handles and cuts canvas fine, but only up to 40".  Usually my canvas trimming is with an Olfa and cutting surface, like you.

patjoja

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 10:02:12 am »

Yes, a Rototrim will cut canvas without too much difficulty.  It is will even cut 1/4" foam board, but I would not recommend using it as it really stresses it. For foamboard I use a Keencut Evolution cutter...works great, but I realize it's an expensive option.

For canvas, the best bet would be to use a straight edge and a sharp (new) razor cutter, IMO. 

Patrick

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 02:18:17 pm »

I am preparing to get started with roll printing on my Epson P800.  I read that loading roll paper can be finicky, and the leading edge needs to be perfectly square.  Is a good rotary trimmer a necessary tool when working with roll paper?  If so, the Rotatrim models seem favorably regarded on this board.  I am also thinking a de-roller might be a worthwhile investment.

The Rotatrims are very good, but you can do just as well - and less expensively - with a self-healing cutting mat, a good metal straightedge, and a box cutter or similar.

I am not familiar with the P800, using a 7900, but in my experience the leading edge does not need to be perfect.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up