Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harman by Hahnemuhle deep discounts at B&H  (Read 1523 times)

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
Harman by Hahnemuhle deep discounts at B&H
« on: February 10, 2018, 01:09:29 pm »

B&H has marked some of these discontinued papers down by over 50%. I’m stocking up on gloss Baryta sheets for proofing. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/search?N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search&Ntt=Harman%20by%20hahnemuhle

texshooter

Re: Harman by Hahnemuhle deep discounts at B&H
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 01:34:35 pm »

Does it still flake and scratch like hell?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:49:58 pm by texshooter »

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:56:32 pm »

That doesn’t sound like a problem I’ve encountered, can you be more specific? It’s easy as hell to mar the surface and requires careful handling but I wouldn’t call that flaking.

stockjock

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:41:09 pm »

That doesn’t sound like a problem I’ve encountered, can you be more specific? It’s easy as hell to mar the surface and requires careful handling but I wouldn’t call that flaking.
I stopped using the Gloss Baryta because there would be little flakes of something on the paper that would absorb the ink and then fall off leaving a white spot.  I don't know if that was what texshooter was referring to or not.  Except for that problem it was a gorgeous paper.  I never tried it in roll format so maybe I'll take advantage of this clearance sale to pick up a roll.

howardm

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 10:24:42 am »

The paper has a incredible look but does scratch and flake off easily.  It also curls on the edges so you really need to de-roll it right before printing (cut sheets)

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:46:08 pm »

Does it still flake and scratch like hell?

Tex--PM Sent

Mike

texshooter

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 01:11:46 pm »

When I first tried Harman Gloss Baryta back in 2013, I liked it better than any baryta on the market because of its very white  paper base.  Many on LULA prefer Canson Baryta Photographique and Ilford Gold Fiber Silk Baryta, which are warmer than Harman. I don't.

But then after printing a photo, I would notice a small chip of ink flake off the paper revealing a spot of pure white paper underneath. The size of a water drop.   Much like when a projectile pebble chips paint off your car. It wouldn't happen all the time, but when you print 17x22", you get angry when it does happen because the print is no good after that.  Eventually, I got fed up and switched to Epson Exhibition Fiber, which is my current favorite for printing everything, especially B&W.  Some on LULA said  they had the same problem with Harman Gloss Baryta. They also complained of this paper easily scratching from normal handling. Although, I suspect scratching can be prevented by being extra careful.  The flaking, however, cannot be prevented. And as far as curling goes, I did not have a problem, but then I don't use rolls.

A few years later I read on LULA that the entire Harman line was discontinued, so I'm rather confused why B&H is still selling Harman paper today.  Perhaps Harman has reformulated and relaunched some of their paper varieties.  Perhaps B&H found a truckload of misplaced old stock in their warehouse.  I don't know.

Recently I read on LULA that Hahnemuhle is now selling the same paper under a different name called Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta. I remember one person saying that he noticed  the new brand is much less prone to flaking and scratching than the old.

I considered taking advantage of B&H's 50% discount and buy a few boxes of Harman Baryta, but opted not to for these reasons.

1. I'm not sure if this paper has been discontinued or not.
2.  I'm not sure if this paper has been improved or not.
3.  I have not yet tried Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta
4.  B&H does not sell Harman Baryta in 8.5"x11" size
5.  50% discounts scare me. There must be a catch.
6. I'm satisfied with Epson Exhinpbition Fiber.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 01:40:27 pm »

1. I'm not sure if this paper has been discontinued or not.
2.  I'm not sure if this paper has been improved or not.
3.  I have not yet tried Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta
4.  B&H does not sell Harman Baryta in 8.5"x11" size
5.  50% discounts scare me. There must be a catch.
6. I'm satisfied with Epson Exhinpbition Fiber.

All reasonable. This paper has been discontinued, which is why they are discounting their remaining stock to clear out old inventory and have definitely run out of some useful sizes (17x25 was first to go as most cut papers stop at 17x22). It has been re-launched as Hahnemühle Photo Gloss Baryta 320 however they mention changing the coating a bit and it's no longer sold in 17x25. That said, I haven't seen flaking in the last few years myself, the 13x19 size is a better proofing size for me than 8.5x11, and the replacement paper ICC profiles created by ImagePrint only show a subtle difference compared to the Harman by Hahnemuhle edition. I happily stocked up on the 13x19 white they lasted.

elliot_n

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 06:12:08 pm »

All very confusing. The story I bought into was that the original Harman gloss paper was 'made' (coated?) in Ilford's factory in the North of England and therefore had some lineage with Ilford's traditional silver gelatin papers. It certainly had a smell that evoked the darkroom. My gallery liked the story enough to discuss the paper's provenance with potential print buyers (this was a few years back, when collectors were wary of inkjet prints).

When the paper was rebranded as 'Harman by Hahnemuhle', it seemed to be essentially the same stuff, so I assumed it was still coming from the factory up north, and that Hahnemuhle were just handling the distribution.

But what is this new paper, 'Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta 320'? Have all the links with the old Ilford factory been severed? Or is the paper still being made by Ilford, but with a revised coating?

It would be a shame to lose it. I've always found it to be the most photographic of inkjet papers (more so than Canson's Baryta or Platine). But I look forward to trying the new Hahnemuhle paper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up