Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!  (Read 10005 times)

EarlyMan

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:38:08 am »

Hi -
I anxiously d'loaded B4 today, and was initially very impressed with the improvements. However, I quickly found that it is nearly impossible for me to use the Library module.  1st, when I select an image in grid mode and open it in loupe mode, it continuously drops back to grid mode all by itself.

But what is even more troublesome is the fact that it continuously changes from one shoot folder to another, making it impossible to use the Library module.

I had no such problem with Beta 3. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing this issue.  I have also posted this in the Adobe Lightroom forum.

E-

Win XP Home/SP2
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 11:57:20 am by EarlyMan »

NikonMike

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 11:08:34 am »

I only played with B4 for a short while on my Intel Mac, so far no issues at all. Are you on Win or Mac(PPC/Intel)?

David White

• http://
Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 11:22:43 am »

I'm not seeing this with the Windows B4.
David White

glenerrolrd

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 11:47:57 am »

Beta 4 seems to work fine on MacBook Pro (Intel) .

pcg

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 12:10:41 pm »

No such problems on my Mac G4 (iMac--about 2 yrs old). Smooth, slick operation in Library.

EarlyMan

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 12:21:44 pm »

Hi -
Just to clarify, I am using a PC, not a Mac.  Apparently, several people over on the Adobe forum are also experiencing this problem; all are using PC's.

E-

Ben Rubinstein

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 01:18:07 pm »

I haven't had this problem but the program has crashed my (PC) computer 4 times in two hours so far...

StephenS

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 02:32:10 pm »

I'm on a Windows PC. When I first installed b4 this morning it behaved the same way - wouldn't retain the shoot folder. When I tried to scroll with the hand icon it would change to another shoot.

The problem vanished on it's own. Don't know what if anything I did, except for closing and relaunching the program.

Also noticed problems changing the identity plate, and the pulldowns in the View Options do not retain the last selected. I eventually got both set.

[added later: Identity plate is fine, it was my error not selecting the custom text before setting the formatting! Back to UI 101 I go]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 07:53:06 pm by StephenS »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 04:10:41 pm »

I'm on a Windows PC. When I first installed b4 this morning it behaved the same way - wouldn't retain the shoot folder. When I tried to scroll with the hand icon it would change to another shoot.

The problem vanished on it's own. Don't know what if anything I did, except for closing and relaunching the program.

Also noticed problems changing the identity plate, and the pulldowns in the View Options do not retain the last selected. I eventually got both set.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77645\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the warnings, guys. Before I install B4 on my PC, I'll be sure to add some extra Eye of Newt and throw salt over my keyboard. Clearly there are evil spirits lurking in B4.    

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 07:18:41 pm »

Thanks for the warnings, guys. Before I install B4 on my PC, I'll be sure to add some extra Eye of Newt and throw salt over my keyboard. Clearly there are evil spirits lurking in B4.   

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sure are. Keeps crashing my laptop and it seemed pretty crappy on my desktop too. Had more crashes today than in last few years of using a PC by a long way.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

katemann

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 07:56:00 pm »

Windows here - same problem. When trying to sort a new shoot into Keywords the program drops back to a previous shoot, always the same one.

Wacom tablet, wacom mouse, wacom stylus.

Lots of people on the Adobe forum with the same problem.

Program unusable.

*majorsigh*

Paul Sumi

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 08:49:34 pm »

However, I quickly found that it is nearly impossible for me to use the Library module.  1st, when I select an image in grid mode and open it in loupe mode, it continuously drops back to grid mode all by itself.

But what is even more troublesome is the fact that it continuously changes from one shoot folder to another, making it impossible to use the Library module.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No such problems with either a 2.4 Ghz P4 PC or a 1.67 Ghz Powerbook. It did grab a lot of system resources for an extended time while rebuilding thumbs.

Paul

katemann

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 09:21:33 pm »

Paul S - try sorting some files into keywords ... and let us know.
Dell P4 3.2 HT 1.5G RAM here. I doubt it has anything to do with the hardware ...

Paul Sumi

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 11:48:10 pm »

Paul S - try sorting some files into keywords ... and let us know.
Dell P4 3.2 HT 1.5G RAM here. I doubt it has anything to do with the hardware ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77712\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Katemann,

If by "sorting" you mean creating keywords and tagging files, I do not have the problem you do.  Just tested this with a 500 image shoot.  However, I only have a couple of shoots and about 1000 images in Lightroom.

I do continue to have the issue of Lightroom grabbing all the system resources from time to time, to the point where the computer "freezes" for a few minutes. This seems to happen when I am doing an operation on multiple files, like tagging with keywords.  Likely, I need to add more RAM.

Paul

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 04:08:31 am »

I have the same problem under the Windows verson. Hard disk thrashing, I have 1.75gb RAM. Perhaps not enough! What is enough ? 4gb?

Also in the library after selecting images by keyword and the going from thumbnail view to loupe view i get thrown back to thumbnail view and for another keyword.  e.g. start with loupe view of sunrises and end up with thumbnail view of sunsets. and all without touching the keyboard!

Time to go to bed!

Dave
down under
magiclight

erusan

• http://www.elmerveldkamp.nl
Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 04:56:48 am »

Another coin in the bag:

while B3 ran as it should on my Windows notebook with Japanese XP Pro installed, uninstalling and replacing it with B4 made the text of all menus go wacky and some of the text in the interface as well. The problem is mostly the showing of tags like [Tahoma 9] and such, related to layout.

As this happened by reinstalling and no other alterations by my hand, I presume it is the new version that is causing this problem. Suggestions, anyone?
erusan
Tokyo, Japan [url=http://www.elme

abagorro

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 06:05:15 am »

Windows PC.
Felt some of the problems stated: library stuck, system resources grabed for some minutes, everything running very slow, mainly within the library. And then, once in a while, everything seems normal again!

James DeMoss

• http://jbdemossphotography.com/aboutus.aspx
Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 08:22:21 am »

I have used B4 and find it only slightly faster than B3. It is quite stable on my PC (windows) version. I "suspect" some hardware issues with some of these systems and these Betas.

Although the new interface is better, it seems a bit awkward.

EarlyMan

Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 09:19:25 am »

Hi All -

Just an update - I have deleted/re-imported all the shoots previously created using the Beta 3. This has reduced the problem by about 95%.  I still get the occasional "drop out of loupe back to grid" problem, but the jumping from one shoot to another seems to be cured.

Some PC users state that they are experiencing jumping problems with new shoots, created since installing B4. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

And, yes it appears that this problem only affects PCs.  For you Mac people, I have one question: when you installed B4, did you get a dialog box stating that a "one time" database conversion needed to be made? PC people did, and I'm wondering if this could be part of the problem?

If anyone is interested, this is a link to the thread on tha Adobe forum:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/for...3&enterthread=y

E-

GregW

• http://
Beta 4 Library UNSTABLE!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 11:19:03 am »

And, yes it appears that this problem only affects PCs.  For you Mac people, I have one question: when you installed B4, did you get a dialog box stating that a "one time" database conversion needed to be made? PC people did, and I'm wondering if this could be part of the problem?

My upgrade process on a non productive environment Powerbook:

1.  Backup library and pictures.

2.  Install Upgrade

3.  Database conversion.  The same dialog box as when upgrading from Beta 2.0 to 3.0.

4. Rendered the previews

5.  Left the powerbook for a couple of hours to finish the render

6.  Restart

All 'seems' quite stable.  If things continue liek this I will try it on a productive machine and database over the weekend.

So far so good.  That said I will also have another look at Aperture as some of the 1.5 updates should make it a much more useable program for me.  The loupe in the current version of Aperture is better than the Lightroom approach.   More imortantly it also shows a high commitment from Apple to the product.  

Off topic.   I think we are very lucky to have 2 established and innovative companies working with such intensity to meet many of our needs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up