Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cumulative view of subfolders/albums  (Read 4627 times)

indusphoto

• 500px
Cumulative view of subfolders/albums
« on: February 07, 2018, 12:50:28 am »

I dont understand why Phase one wont add the feature to display cumulative view of all folders/albums under a parent folder or project.

It is so helpful to work on some common themes in a high level view and then jump into specific folders/albums to do more specific processing. It is also helpful when culling the images, or selecting for a certain use.

I have asked customer support since V8, they agree to this in principle, but obviously have no power to make decisions.

Is there any technical reason that Phase One wont implement it. Is it not useful for other photographers as well?

Dave Rosser

• My Website
Re: Cumulative view of subfolders/albums
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 04:28:29 am »

I dont understand why Phase one wont add the feature to display cumulative view of all folders/albums under a parent folder or project.

It is so helpful to work on some common themes in a high level view and then jump into specific folders/albums to do more specific processing. It is also helpful when culling the images, or selecting for a certain use.

I have asked customer support since V8, they agree to this in principle, but obviously have no power to make decisions.

Is there any technical reason that Phase One wont implement it. Is it not useful for other photogeraphers as well?
+1
Dave

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:49:12 pm »

It's not that they "won't" it's that they haven't yet. I've been doing product management for a few years now and the number one lesson I've learned is that there is very rarely a shortage of very good and useful ideas that will help some of the users. The trick is prioritizing.

In our classes we cover a variety of ways to accomplish this. I agree the ability to toggle a "show within" option would be more intuitive than those options, but there are already pretty good solutions to this need.

The vast majority of improvements made to C1 start as a feature request from a user (or prospective user) via a support case or feedback provided to their Phase One dealer. Just because your specific idea has not been implemented does not mean that the idea wasn't heard or that providing that feedback via a support case is without power.

Is there any technical reason that Phase One wont implement it. Is it not useful for other photographers as well?

There can be some knock-on effects for both UI and performance. For example, do you just want child folders or grandchild, or every level all the way down? Do you want to be able to see some indication of what level they are at when you select the thumbnail of an image, and if so how and where should that indication be? Should it the feature be on or off by default?

These are all solvable problems, but in programming it's pretty broadly the case that a major change to the way a program works (and yes, this does constitute a major change) is always more complicated than it seems to the outside.

So keep submitting the support case requests every version, and feel free to drum up interest/support from other users to to do the same. P1 really truly does listen (again, look at the list of features implemented in the last 36 months; they nearly all come from requests made by their core users). If you'd ever like to meet someone from P1 we (DT) have public events several times a year with high level R+D staff (often the head of all R+D who is a super cool guy).

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 03:46:10 pm »

In our classes we cover a variety of ways to accomplish this. I agree the ability to toggle a "show within" option would be more intuitive than those options, but there are already pretty good solutions to this need.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Can you suggest some solutions to this?

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 12:39:28 pm »

Some of the solutions will depend on what you want to do, so I'll start with my own example of what I needed and did.

My folder structure looks like
Pictures/
    2017/
        2017-01-08JobName
        2017-... other folders with dates and names
    2018/
        2018-01-02JobName

etc. going back and eventually forward in time.

In LR I used the "show all images in all sub folders" feature to look at an entire year's worth of photos at once. For example I remember what year but not exactly when. Or I want to look at my best shots from last year by selecting the whole year and then filtering only 5 star images etc.

In C1 what I have done is create a smart album (automatically filtered to the year the photo was taken) for 2017, 2016 etc. so now I can achieve the same effect.

Another possibility is "if you can't beat them, join them"

I am actually planning to take advantage of this "feature" of C1 and make use of it: I have started working with photos in a session to start with (to me it makes sense since most of the time I'll spend a week or so on a single outing's photos before being finished). Then what I do is make sure the selects folder is the root job folder and under that is the Capture folder. Like this:

Pictures/
    2018/
        2018-01-27LuminaBorealis/
            Capture
            Trash

When I create the session in 2018-01-27LuminaBorealis I set the selects folder to be '.' and the capture folder to be the default 'Capture'. Importing the images from my card puts them all in the Capture folder. When I am done working on my images I pick the best ones and move them to the selects folder. Then after I import the job into the C1 catalogue when I click on the '2018-01-27LuminaBorealis' folder I will see just my selected images for that job. All my other OK images are still there in the Capture sub folder but whenever I look at the job folder itself I only see my favourite images. No more setting of rating filters or scrolling around to find the best images because C1 only shows me the good ones.

TeeKay

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 11:41:08 pm »

Can you suggest some solutions to this?
One way of achieving what you want is to use "Projects" and "Albums" (see the "User Collections" in C1).

When selecting an "Project" you can see the contents of all albums contained in that project.

This approach requires having an additional structure within C1 (next to the natural files/folders structure). Depending on your needs, that could be welcome (as you can mix and match contents from different folders and/or have selections without using star ratings, etc.) or a bit cumbersome (if the structure is redundant to what you have already).

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 12:36:38 am »

One way of achieving what you want is to use "Projects" and "Albums" (see the "User Collections" in C1).

When selecting an "Project" you can see the contents of all albums contained in that project.

I have actually tried this. When I select the Project, it does not show any images contained in the albums in the project.

TeeKay

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 06:03:50 am »

When I select the Project, it does not show any images contained in the albums in the project.
Do you have a project within a project?
You cannot see images that are in a nested project.

Images in albums, however, are shown when selecting the project. Have a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqaZoskYy4w?t=2631

At 44:01, David Grover says "Notice that the project gives you a summary of all possible (sic) images inside here. So this a good way to get another overview of a whole bunch of different collections...".

Not sure if projects have an option to show or not show contents. If this doesn't work for you like it does in the webinar then there is either a hidden option (haven't played with that part yet) or you should create a support case with Phase One.

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 09:19:04 am »

I have actually tried this. When I select the Project, it does not show any images contained in the albums in the project.
Hi indusphoto,
Are you perhaps on Windows? I noticed that on macOS I can see all images in Albums within a Project when I select the Project in the Library tool. Unfortunately, on Windows I can not.
I suspect that is perhaps the reason why you do not and others do see the images in a Project.

I will contact Phase One on this alignment issue.

newbobolix

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 04:29:46 am »

A little workaround to this under windows:
Create 2018 Project
Create your ALBUMS inside the project
Create a SMART ALBUM inside the project and set search criteria "Date Year" is 2018, I personally keep it on the top of the albums inside the project
A Smart Album contained within a Project will only search the images within that Project so you will have all the images contained in the 2018 project.

Hope it will help ;)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 09:52:45 am »

There can be some knock-on effects for both UI and performance. For example, do you just want child folders or grandchild, or every level all the way down?
Yes, everything below the level chosen.
Lightroom does this perfectly and intuitively.

It's little annoyances like this that stop me from moving over to CO for all my work.

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 03:11:02 am »

Hi indusphoto,
Are you perhaps on Windows? I noticed that on macOS I can see all images in Albums within a Project when I select the Project in the Library tool. Unfortunately, on Windows I can not.
I suspect that is perhaps the reason why you do not and others do see the images in a Project.

I will contact Phase One on this alignment issue.

Yes, I am on Windows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up