Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon lens  (Read 9121 times)

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
Nikon lens
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:32:39 pm »

Hi, what is your opinion about the best Nikon 35 mm prime lens for a photojournalist in a critical fast situations?

Rob C

Re: Nikon lens
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:12:44 pm »

Hi, what is your opinion about the best Nikon 35 mm prime lens for a photojournalist in a critical fast situations?

Lots of variables implicit in the question.

However, on the assumption that, as you write, it's about moving situations, then I would think you are not about to try and shoot wide open, but possibly at the old press favourite: f8 and be there, in which case, zone focussing will be useful. So for anyone with normal vision, af doesn't strike me as essential. (Normal vision being one of the variables I mentioned earlier.) so, why not think about the 2/35mm Nikkor manual? They are great lenses (I have one) and should meet any press quality standard. Another factor here is whether you intend using a 35mm on FF or crop-body, in which latter case, you end up with an effective 42mm lens.

Rob

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:39:34 pm »

On the other hand, in a scrum, AF would be useful. There's a 35mm f/2 AF lens out there - I don't know much about it, but it is cheap and INCONSPICUOUS.

Really, for photojournalism above all other genres, a functioning brain with some ability to predict crowd flow, likely individual behavior, what the most likely action shot will be, etc is more important than any lens.

If you wanted a compact fixed lens camera, you could look at Fujifilm, Ricoh, and Sony offerings, all with 28 to 35mm f/2 lenses.

Two23

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:45:58 pm »

The best Nikon 35mm lens?  Why, the Sigma 35mm f1.4A, of course!  NOTHING beats it.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 07:39:56 pm »

When I hear “fast” along with “photojournalism”, there come to mind thoughts about shooting at higher ISOs with a smaller aperture to get the depth of field I want without having time to focus.

When I’m out in the street I sometimes use the Nikon 28mm f2.8 manual (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm) with a full frame Nikon DSLR that has good high ISO performance, set at f8 or lower for zone focussing.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:17:38 pm »

I haven't done much of this in the digital era, but my film approach was typically a 35mm lens stopped down to f/8 or half a stop more and the focus distance at ~2m for closer subjects, ~3m for more distant ones. Any modern 35mm lens, and most old ones too, will do the job.

-Dave-

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:13:46 pm »

The best Nikon 35mm lens?  Why, the Sigma 35mm f1.4A, of course!  NOTHING beats it.

I own the Sigma and agree it is a great lens, but IMHO the Nikon 35mm f1.4 has a much nicer look while being at the same level technically.

It is of course significantly more expensive.

Cheers,
Bernard

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 11:00:15 pm »

Thanks for your comments and help. I need it for D850. I also were thinking of manual-focus ZEISS Milvus 35mm f/2 ZF.2...

Two23

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 11:11:16 pm »

According to DxO, the Zeiss is almost as sharp as the Sigma, but the Sigma is still the sharpest 35mm available.  Personally, I would not buy a non-AF lens for a D850.  The whole thing about the D850 is its AF ability, and you would be losing the biggest strength of the camera.  Just don't see the point of that on that camera.

https://www.dxomark.com/lenses/brand-nikon-sigma-carl_zeiss/mounted_on-Nikon_D810-963/launched-between-1987-and-2018/mount_type-Nikon_F_FX/focal-from-35-to-35/aperture_max-from-1.4-to-45/launch_price-from-0-to-13000-usd/lens_zoom-prime/sensor_brand-Nikon#hideAdvancedOptions=false&viewMode=list&yDataType=global

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 07:06:40 am »

According to DxO, the Zeiss is almost as sharp as the Sigma, but the Sigma is still the sharpest 35mm available.  Personally, I would not buy a non-AF lens for a D850.  The whole thing about the D850 is its AF ability, and you would be losing the biggest strength of the camera.  Just don't see the point of that on that camera.

https://www.dxomark.com/lenses/brand-nikon-sigma-carl_zeiss/mounted_on-Nikon_D810-963/launched-between-1987-and-2018/mount_type-Nikon_F_FX/focal-from-35-to-35/aperture_max-from-1.4-to-45/launch_price-from-0-to-13000-usd/lens_zoom-prime/sensor_brand-Nikon#hideAdvancedOptions=false&viewMode=list&yDataType=global

Kent in SD

For a D 850 I tend to agree. Af lenes usually pemit mf if you chose to use it.

I had not imagined that the OP question would come from somebody owning such a camera; therefore, the hope was to save some money yet get perfectly good images within the remit of the brief: press.

Guess it shows the problems associated with trying to be helpful.

;-)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 07:38:57 am »

A lot of the lenses mentioned here are tested on lenstip.com
I think they test well but of course there is more to it than a list of numbers.
In general Nikon is overdue with introducing new fixed focal lenses like - wide angles and standard lenses.
The new 28mm 1.4 lens is the only one but 28mm.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 08:23:37 am »

I own the Sigma and agree it is a great lens, but IMHO the Nikon 35mm f1.4 has a much nicer look while being at the same level technically.
It is of course significantly more expensive.
Cheers,
Bernard
I also think the Nikkor has the better look and I also have the impression that the AF works better with Nikkor lenses than with Sigmas.
But it's only my impression.
However my favourite 35mm, if you want the special look, is the Nikkor-N Auto 35 mm 1:1,4 with it's deeply ridged scalloped focusring.
Regards,
Ben

NancyP

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 06:25:06 pm »

I think it has more to do with how you work, how much night work you do (do you really need f/1.4 and fast shutter speed for moving subject), how discreet (or obvious) you want to be, whether you prefer AF, whether or not you like "zone focus, f/8, and be there" strategy and using manual lens (and whether you can easily use manual focus through viewfinder, which means replacing a DSLR stock screen with an ultrafine matte screen which is so much more pleasant to use for MF).

Big question: Are you shooting video as part of your PJ work?
Big question: Do you need weatherization? (Are you shooting outdoors in all sorts of weather conditions?)

I second the comment about Sigma 35 f/1.4. Nice sharp lens. Note, it is NOT considered to be weatherized. If I want to be inconspicuous (or need to trim weight), I use the (Canon) 40 f/2.8 pancake lens, though.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 02:01:25 pm »

Kent in SD

Agreed - the Sigma is a terrific lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up