Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax Zeiss 35PC vs Canon TS-E 24 II + 1.4 extender anyone ?  (Read 23640 times)

the_luminous_french

Contax Zeiss 35PC vs Canon TS-E 24 II + 1.4 extender anyone ?
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:21:39 pm »

I can't find any side by side comparison about the Contax Zeiss 35PC vs the Canon TS-E 24 II + 1.4 extender...

I need a 35 PC for my A7R III...

Anyone tried this two options ?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Contax Zeiss 35PC vs Canon TS-E 24 II + 1.4 extender anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:17:29 am »

I have not, but I use the older 35mm t/s Canon FD on my A7R2 and it's very good.  I've had it a long time, using it on my 1Ds cameras (with a mount conversion) before I switched to Sony.

DCW

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 02:56:00 pm »

I had the 1.4 III + 24 TS-E for awhile and didn't notice any image degradation - have heard others say it's hairsplitting difference between this set set-up and the Contax PC

the_luminous_french

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:00:00 am »

that's a good news !
i'm ordering the 1.4 III on the spot !

Thanks !

TimoK

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 12:34:41 pm »

I have 24tseII and 1,4II which should be better than III with wide angles. I once tried them together with 6d but was not very pleased. I don't know or remember any more what was the issue, but did not get useful pictures in that shoot. Maybe I have to give it a try once again.

Shiftworker

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 11:30:06 am »

I have the Contax and the Canon 24mm TS-E II + 1.4 MK3 extender and on the A7r2 they are close but the Canon is slightly better. A lot comes down to how good a copy of the  lenses are and how parallel are the faces of your adaptors . Both are a lot better than the Olympus 35mm 2.8 which can't match it's resolution and the FD 35mm shift which has a curved focus field (good for interiors though). Other advantages of the 24 TSE + 1.4 are less distortion, lighter to carry and greater shift range as the 1.4x applies to shift as well so the maximum shift you can get is nearly 17mm!

wallpaperviking

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 02:36:34 am »

Interesting, have been thinking the same albeit for use on the Fuji GFX...

TimoK, can you please elaborate on this statement " I have 24tseII and 1,4II which should be better than III with wide angles "?  Why would that be the case?

Shiftworker, great t hear you have had success with this combo, can you possibly elaborate on your statement " greater shift range as the 1.4x applies to shift as well so the maximum shift you can get is nearly 17mm! "?  If this is the case, what are you using this combination on, a view camera of some description?

Also, does anybody know when using this combination coupled with a "smart" adapter (either on a Sony or a GFX) whether you are still able to effectively control the aperture of the 24mm TS-E II?

Thanks in advance!

Shiftworker

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 04:47:32 am »

Shiftworker, great t hear you have had success with this combo, can you possibly elaborate on your statement " greater shift range as the 1.4x applies to shift as well so the maximum shift you can get is nearly 17mm! "?  If this is the case, what are you using this combination on, a view camera of some description?

Used on an A7r2 (but it applies to any camera) - the 1.4x multiplication factor applies to the physical lens shift as well not just the focal length so if physically shift the lens by 5mm on the scale on the lens control it actually shifts the image (optical axis) on the sensor by 7mm.

TimoK

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 04:58:00 am »

TimoK, can you please elaborate on this statement " I have 24tseII and 1,4II which should be better than III with wide angles "?  Why would that be the case?
I have read it somewhere in internet, don't remember where and cannot find it anymore. But found this comparison which shows just opposite, mkIII is sharper and has less CAs.
Sorry about wrong information, it was made in honest belief by my side.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 12:29:29 pm »

Also, does anybody know when using this combination coupled with a "smart" adapter (either on a Sony or a GFX) whether you are still able to effectively control the aperture of the 24mm TS-E II?

Hi there,

Yes - it's possible to control the aperture no problems.  Occasionally I find the metabones seems to loose connection to the lens (both with or without 1.4x).  Turning the Sony off and on again usually solves the problems.  If not, reseating the adapter on camera, or lens on adapter does the trick.

Cheers

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

wallpaperviking

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 03:26:51 am »

Amazing, thanks to everyone who replied!

Great to hear that maybe adding this combination to my GFX might replace one of the 35mm lenses I already have for it...  The 24mm TS-E II an 1.3x are both readily available in rental houses where I am, so worth a shot I reckon...

alatreille, I see that you are somewhat based in Melbourne which is my home town, fantastic work that you have presented!

Just wondering what your current go to setup for architecture is?  Am still trying to find what is best for me....

Thanks again for all the replies :)

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 12:49:39 pm »

Hi WallPaperviking.

Melbourne Born and Breed.  I live in Vancouver B.C - Canada now.  But I do make it back to OZ on both work and family trips occasionally.

I don't really have a go to: the bag currently holds a 5dsr, an A7rii and an Arca.  I find each useful for different things...

Send me a PM. 

I have an old assistant/retoucher who has recently moved to Melbourne and is looking for work.  I could potentially connect you if you'd like.

A

alatreille, I see that you are somewhat based in Melbourne which is my home town, fantastic work that you have presented!

Just wondering what your current go to setup for architecture is?  Am still trying to find what is best for me....

Thanks again for all the replies :)

andyptak

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 04:11:02 pm »

What about that famous Contax "look". Does the 35 PC have it and if it does, would that make it a better choice than the Canon or not?

Just curious.

Shiftworker

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 05:44:47 am »

What about that famous Contax "look". Does the 35 PC have it and if it does, would that make it a better choice than the Canon or not?

Just curious.
Never been convinced there is a Contax "look" and I own a lot of Contax lenses.......
The Canon TS-E lenses have plenty of 'pop' if that's what you are after.

andyptak

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 10:06:39 am »

You're obviously much more qualified than me to answer this, but Zeiss Contax do have a reputation don't they?

I have the Canon 17 and 24 mounted on a Sony a7rIII and like the OP I have a wish for a 35. Like him I could go the Canon extender or the Contax route. The Canon's have more than enough pop for me, but my best lenses are the Zeiss 85 and 135 - so smooth, and I'm looking to replicate that.

I don't know what the Sony "recipe" is but I find it a bit harsh and I often get artifacts that I can only call bits of dark crap. I can get rid of them but shouldn't have to, I think. I had hoped to mitigate my distaste for the Sony sensor look by using a different lens. Both of my Zeiss lenses almost give a MF feel and that's what I hope to achieve. Maybe I need Contax 645 lens? No shift, alas.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 04:02:14 pm »

Hi Andy,

I'd suggest you have a look at the Pentax 645 FA35mm.
I've been using that on a zork adapter (could also use the Mirex) for a number of years.

I has a bit of barrel distortion and CA, but once you use it a bit, it's very manageable.

Using on the 5dsr, I've found f11 is the sweet spot....on the mkII it was f13.

But in all seriousness, there's little difference between it and the 24TSE + 1.4x

A

You're obviously much more qualified than me to answer this, but Zeiss Contax do have a reputation don't they?

I have the Canon 17 and 24 mounted on a Sony a7rIII and like the OP I have a wish for a 35. Like him I could go the Canon extender or the Contax route. The Canon's have more than enough pop for me, but my best lenses are the Zeiss 85 and 135 - so smooth, and I'm looking to replicate that.

I don't know what the Sony "recipe" is but I find it a bit harsh and I often get artifacts that I can only call bits of dark crap. I can get rid of them but shouldn't have to, I think. I had hoped to mitigate my distaste for the Sony sensor look by using a different lens. Both of my Zeiss lenses almost give a MF feel and that's what I hope to achieve. Maybe I need Contax 645 lens? No shift, alas.

the_luminous_french

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 07:49:49 am »

i've tried 24TSE II + 1.4x III... not so bad... but quite a bit of distortion.

I wonder why there's no modern 35 PC... using this focal length with movements is a must !

Maybe i will go with the 50 and stiching... but there's always sometimes when stitching isn't an option !

Shiftworker

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 05:07:56 am »

i've tried 24TSE II + 1.4x III... not so bad... but quite a bit of distortion.

I wonder why there's no modern 35 PC... using this focal length with movements is a must !

Maybe i will go with the 50 and stiching... but there's always sometimes when stitching isn't an option !
I found it has less distortion than with the Contax.

andyptak

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 08:07:56 am »

This is the first I've heard of a distortion issue.

Care to elaborate? Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up