Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server Busy message launching CC Classic  (Read 2234 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Server Busy message launching CC Classic
« on: February 02, 2018, 12:16:23 pm »

Since I've been burned before, I decided to wait awhile till I updated my Lightroom 2015 to LR CC Classic. (A stupid name that, to me, spells doom for the desktop.) Anyway, since I updated to the latest version earlier this week, every time I launch LR, I get a "Server Busy" error message which I need to then click to get rid of. This is regardless of what catalog I launch. (I use different catalogs for different purposes: one for my portfolio, another dedicated to travel, and multiple for different shoots -- each shoot gets it's own.) It also matters not whether I am using a "local" catalog on one of external drives where the images reside or a catalog where the LR database of my computer, but the image files are on a NAS drive.

I run Windows 10. Has anyone encountered this? Thanks.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Server Busy message launching CC Classic
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 12:57:56 pm »

Yes, I have encountered it. I got it with previous versions of LR, and with a version of Dreamweaver, even after a complete rebuild of my Windows 10 machine (for other reasons). Even if one can Retry, it's a pain.

Do you have some spinning hard drives? If so, look at the power settings for the drives and don't let them sleep. Since I did that, I have never seen the message again.

See https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2402059?start=0&tstart=0
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:26:20 pm by john beardsworth »

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:12:16 am »

Hey John, thanks for the reply. I've been doing a bit of searching and see it's not an unusual problem, though Adobe is completely unhelpful. As always, things get blamed on everything BUT Lightroom. Of course, I never encountered this with the exact same system the day before updating. It's not a "serious" issue, but massively annoying. I also love the reference to "classic hard drives". WTF? I guess everything that is "old" to Adobe is called "classic", though it's in common use. (I have two SSDs plus 1 HDD internal and a plethora of external "classic" drives).

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:23:51 am »

Some problems are just very difficult to pin down. This is a generic message which other vendors' programs (inc from MS) can trigger and for completely-different reasons.

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:42:46 am »

Some problems are just very difficult to pin down. This is a generic message which other vendors' programs (inc from MS) can trigger and for completely-different reasons.

True. Though I have almost never had this message in the past 5 or 5 years, and certainly not with Windows 10. Interestingly, this only occurs when I launch Lightroom for the first time in the day. After that, no issues. One solution I discovered was about disabling Superfetch, but that will slow some other application launches as well. Of course, there are some other issues now going on (though pre-dated the LR update). I have weird video refreshes where window contents are delayed for a few seconds (Outlook for instance, though also LR). I have a fast video card, an nVidia GTX1080 with 8GB of video RAM and the latest driver, so I don't think that's the issue. I do find LR performance is rather atrocious whether you have GPU acceleration on or off (used to be better with it OFF). The lesson learned: Never update anything anytime. Life is worse off  ;D. I learned that with the latest iOS for my iPhone and iPad, so not just an MS problem!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:37:12 pm »

Interestingly, this only occurs when I launch Lightroom for the first time in the day.

Maybe it's dependent on how soon spinning discs power down, and on what other tasks might access a drive? In my case any one of 3 drives could have gone to sleep, and the error certainly wasn't once a day.

nemophoto

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 08:45:39 pm »

I experimented with my drives. They had been set to not go to sleep. I changed that to spinning down after 30 minutes. Sure enough, I started getting Server Busy errors if I chose to close LR, walk away from my computer and then start up LR again. So, it seems to be related to the hard drives spinning, and yet this had never been the case with the prior version of LR. But maybe related to Win 10 Fall Creator's Edition update?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 07:02:25 am »

I suffered from Server Busy messages for 2-3 years with different versions of LR and Win 10 updates. One version of DW caused it, others didn't. I also tried a lot of things with Adobe. So I gave up trying to explain it! I just know that changing those power settings solved it for me.

nemophoto

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 08:13:49 am »

Sounds like I’ll just have to bite my tongue and suffer through this till there’s a “mystery fix”, if it ever appears. Thanks for the thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up