Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC Spectraview preinstalled on monitor"?  (Read 4392 times)

Frodo

NEC Spectraview preinstalled on monitor"?
« on: January 30, 2018, 02:41:55 am »

NEC PA series monitors in different markets come with the SpectraviewII software and calibration tool, sometimes with just the SpectraviewII software and sometimes just the monitor.  When ordering my PA242W the price jumped up $200 from the first price I was given, so I asked them to confirm that the price included the Spectraview software to calibrate the monitor.  I was told that it did.  However, the bundled software doesn't include Spectraview. So I asked the dealer who replied "Apparently the Monitor has SpectraView basic pre-installed on the monitor however Spectraview II is an additional add-on".

This raises two questions:

(1) How can the software be preinstalled on a monitor?  Windows Explorer doesn't even see the monitor as an external drive (like it does with a camera, GPS, etc). Surely it must be accessible by the PC for the PC to update the look-up table.

(2) I can find no information about Spectraview (i.e. not SpectraviewII).  If I google "Spectraview" all of the hits bring up "SpectraviewII", even those on NEC websites.  Does Spectraview (i.e. not SpectraviewII) even do hardware calibration?

Thanks, Bob

Frodo

Re: NEC Spectraview preinstalled on monitor"?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 03:10:27 am »

I've found out some more information from the Quickstart guide (https://www.necdisplay.com/documents/UserManuals/NEC-Professional-Desktop-Display-Quick%20Start.pdf)
This talks about a "Spectraview Engine" that is accessed by the "Multiprofiler" software.  This allows some tweaking of brightness, etc, but as there is no way of connecting a calibration puck, it neither creates a new profile nor writes to the display look-up table. 
It may be that this is what the importer was confused about. 

Some searching (including in the LuLa forum) shows the limited value of Multiprofiler compared to SpectraviewII.

My question was clearly about Spectraview calibration software being included in the price.

DP

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:34:10 am »

NEC PA series monitors in different markets come with the SpectraviewII software and calibration tool, sometimes with just the SpectraviewII software and sometimes just the monitor.  When ordering my PA242W the price jumped up $200 from the first price I was given, so I asked them to confirm that the price included the Spectraview software to calibrate the monitor.  I was told that it did.  However, the bundled software doesn't include Spectraview. So I asked the dealer who replied "Apparently the Monitor has SpectraView basic pre-installed on the monitor however Spectraview II is an additional add-on".

This raises two questions:

(1) How can the software be preinstalled on a monitor?  Windows Explorer doesn't even see the monitor as an external drive (like it does with a camera, GPS, etc). Surely it must be accessible by the PC for the PC to update the look-up table.

(2) I can find no information about Spectraview (i.e. not SpectraviewII).  If I google "Spectraview" all of the hits bring up "SpectraviewII", even those on NEC websites.  Does Spectraview (i.e. not SpectraviewII) even do hardware calibration?

Thanks, Bob

there are  2 : "SpectraView II" made and sold by NEC itself and "SpectraView Profiler" which is a re-branded BasICColor Display and typically available/sold in "Europe" ... these are 2 difference software packages - they both run on computer side and they both are capable to write information into NEC PA242W to adjust how it works

in both cases dealer must supply you with key/code to activate the software that is running on your computer unless you got a some calibration device that acts like a key for such software... NEC PA242W does not have embedded colorimeter (like some high end Eizo models have for example)... if you were charged $200 more - there must be something extra vs just NEC PA242W that you purchased...

post the name of the dealer and copy of invoice/receipt with blanked personal info and you shall get a better advise

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:40:46 am by DP »

DP

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:38:39 am »

This talks about a "Spectraview Engine" that is accessed by the "Multiprofiler" software. 

Multiprofiler is free for anybody to download and use - but OP paid $200 (NZ dollars ?) more for what ? more money must be either for a bundled colorimeter (device) and/or paid software (not Multiprofiler) - like SpectraView II from NEC or rebranded BasICColor Display ...

Frodo

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 02:51:59 am »

@DP: most valuable advice about "SpectraView Profiler". That helped me find this thread: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=75804.0

The good news is that the importer has agreed to provide SpectraViewII free of charge (which is what they advised in the first place).

Given that the situation is surprisingly complicated, I'll provide a short summary.
- "Multiprofiler" software.  This allows some tweaking of brightness, etc of the factory calibration, but as there is no way of connecting a calibration puck, it neither calibrates nor creates a new profile. 
- "SpectraView Profiler".
- "SpectraViewII".

So what is the difference between SpectraView Profiler and SpectraViewII?  This is answered here:
https://www.necdisplay.com/spectra-view-II/FAQ

Is SpectraViewII different from the SpectraView Profiler displays sold in Europe?
Yes. The SpectraViewII calibration system is developed by NEC and optionally includes an NEC branded X-Rite iOne Display V2 color sensor. SpectraViewII can be used with any supported display model and is sold both as a complete kit bundled with a display, and as an add-on product.
In Europe SpectraView Profiler includes a display monitor with hood, custom calibration software developed by basICColor, and each display is individually certified. It is not possible to purchase and use the SpectraView Profiler software with a non-SpectraView Profiler display.

The reason for this is because apparently there are patents affecting the source programme for Spectraview Profiler that prevent it being sold in the States.

I registered at the NEC website and downloaded SpectraView Profiler from the BasICColor site, but the programme would not recognise my X-rite i1 Display Pro.  According the LuLa thread, this is a sign that the software is not compatible with my display.

In my view, NEC should be more transparent about all this.

I look forward to using my new display!

DP

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 08:31:30 am »

The good news is that the importer has agreed to provide SpectraViewII free of charge (which is what they advised in the first place).

"free of charge" ?... what were extra NZ $200 paid for then ? it is not free of charge then...

DP

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 08:32:53 am »

In my view, NEC should be more transparent about all this.

not NEC but the dealer who was not transparent what you were getting for extra money ...

Frodo

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 02:30:24 pm »

Hi DP

After the debacle with BenQ (but a fantastic dealer), I was juggling between the NEC PA242W and the Eizo CS2420.  At $1650 vs over $2000 (all NZD), I went for the NEC.  But when I ordered the price went up about $200.  I was told this was due to exchange rate fluctuations (a lot of tech products are sold in USD), but this pushed the price closer to the Eizo, which included calibration software and puck.  Hence, my clarification regarding Spectraview software.  The importer should have said "No, SpectraviewII is not included" and I would have bought the Eizo.  But they said it was (and then fudged it).

In terms of information, the dealer relies on the NEC importer.  Information provided by and about the BenQ display I bought is way better than for the NEC.  For example, the hard copy and online manuals for both display and software.  The product is clearly not as good!

Given the confusion with my dealer and the NEC importer that also occurred in the LuLa thread that I cited, NEC should be clearer in terms of what software does what, in what market/country, with what display.

Anyway, after a journey to buy a good display that started in October last year, I am almost there.  The SpectraviewII software is being shipped on a USB stick from the USA - why I can't simply have a code to unlock an online version, I do not know.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 10:23:23 pm »

When I bought my PA242W I paid around $280 for Spectraview II calibration kit with puck and about $900 for the monitor all from B and H in NYC in 2014. A breakout price for for just the monitor makes sense if you use two or more.  You can use the same calibration kit for all units. 

When I setup the unit, I spoke to U.S. NEC technician to get some info.  The software that came in the box was old and they helped me download the program on-line with my pass code.  Somehow the version for US sold monitors is different so that they're protected from piracy.  They mentioned that the European version doesn't take the download.  If you have any questions, call NEC.  I found the tech people very helpful. 

Kirk_C

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 02:15:03 am »

I just set up a new PA242W in the U.S.. SV software was a download, license key and iOne calibrator were in the box.

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 12:36:30 pm »

I just set up a new PA242W in the U.S.. SV software was a download, license key and iOne calibrator were in the box.
Interesting, when NEC at last began selling spectraviewII software in the UK about a year ago it came loaded in a creditcard sized plastic device with the licence key printed on it and a short usb connection.  I had thought that it would be a download and separate licence key but no.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 12:55:26 pm »

Interesting, when NEC at last began selling spectraviewII software in the UK about a year ago it came loaded in a creditcard sized plastic device with the licence key printed on it and a short usb connection.  I had thought that it would be a download and separate licence key but no.
I bought mine  in the US. It also had the plastic device.  But I never used it.  When I spoke to the NEC techs when I started to set it up right after I bought it, they said to ignore it.  They guided me to download the software from their web site.   

Kirk_C

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 01:25:55 am »

They still ship the small memory card with software, pdf manual and license key printed on it but depending on when it was manufactured and how long it's been in the box the software may be out of date.
Pages: [1]   Go Up