Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended B&W Software for Canon Printers (Canon Pro-4000)  (Read 2270 times)

eduardohagio

Recommended B&W Software for Canon Printers (Canon Pro-4000)
« on: January 29, 2018, 07:31:57 am »

Hello!
I have been looking for a nice software to perform linearization and ink control for black and white prints on Canon ImagePrograf Pro-4000, but I wasn't able to get to a final decision.
Does anybody have a suggestion? It'll be greatly appreciated  ;D

Eduardo Hagio

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
Re: Recommended B&W Software for Canon Printers (Canon Pro-4000)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 09:11:44 am »

ImagePrint is supposed to be working on this but it hasn’t reached beta yet. I’m very much looking forward to trying it.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 12:54:11 pm »

http://bowhaus.com

No Pro 4000 mentioned there ...

No experience with though.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:00:06 pm by Ernst Dinkla »

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 01:19:38 pm »

http://bowhaus.com

No Pro 4000 mentioned there ...

No experience with though.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

Just called them about a month ago and they said they are working on it and expecting the release on this year.......

otherwise, make a good icc profile which I have been doing for the past 10 years
I do print with a lot of awarding fine artist around the world and never had a complaint about it.

aaron

eduardohagio

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:37:12 pm »

Thank you, guys! I have done my own profiles, and I can't complain about the results... but as I was learning how to do linearization with QTR on my previous Epson SP 7890, I'd like to learn how to do that on Canon too  :) I thought it was quite absorbing, with very nice control over the grays.
Just called them about a month ago and they said they are working on it and expecting the release on this year.......

otherwise, make a good icc profile which I have been doing for the past 10 years
I do print with a lot of awarding fine artist around the world and never had a complaint about it.

aaron
Nice! I searched on their website, but found no information about the Pro 4000 either. Hope it'll be ready soon  :D
Thank you again for your help!  ;)

eduardohagio

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 03:39:32 pm »

ImagePrint is supposed to be working on this but it hasn’t reached beta yet. I’m very much looking forward to trying it.

Is this ImagePrint by ColorByte? I didn't know about them

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:50:02 pm »

Yes, they had a good B&W solution for Epson and they support Canon now for color but haven't released B&W.

eduardohagio

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 11:53:33 am »

Yes, they had a good B&W solution for Epson and they support Canon now for color but haven't released B&W.

Nice! I'll wait to see how it will look like then  :) Thanks!

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 06:04:09 pm »

I've checked with ImagePrint directly about this and they are working on it (basically it's Narrow Gamut technology) that used to be for Epson and they are roughly a few months from completing (as long as there are no delays/issues before than).

deanwork

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 07:08:41 pm »

That is good news hat Bowhaus will be working with the new Canon printers.

I've been using the Bowhaus True Black ad White rip for 8 years on the IPF 8300 with the previous Lucia inkset and it is just spectacular. There has never been so versatile a software for monochrome imaging with full color ink-sets that is SO easy to use. It does basically what Qtr has always done with Epson printers but in a much more intuitive and simple graphic interface, at least for the linearization process , and customizing the overall print color.

Bowhaus is a strange company in that their documentation online is very rudimentary and they never advertise their rip or support it online. But the fact is it is so well designed that it pretty much just works by itself . These guys in Los Angeles are really great printmakers, I have seen exhibitions in museums and galleries of their work many years ago and even then their prints from historic scanned negatives were perfect. They made this software for themselves.

On the last version of True Black and White , no color inks are needed for perfectly clean neutral prints on most of the pk fiber gloss media. This is great because you don't run into metameric failure where prints shift color under various light sources. On Matt papers it is very very slightly cool but I love the print color. It's so clean.

When it comes to toning you see all the color channels on a graphic interface in front of you with vertical stripes for each of the 12 inks . You just pull up the exact amount of each color ink with a slider if you want to add visually or just type in percentages. You don't need much color ink to make beautiful warm or warm neutral or cool toned or sepia hues. Then you save that as a preset to be used in the future for similar papers to linearize.

As far as linearization TBW is the easiest of any system I've used, and I've used most of them out there. You just open the gray target right in the software, print it out, dry with a hair drier, and measure it with your spectrometer plugged right into the USB when the  software is open. You see the density numbers right on the screen as you read the patches, so if you make a mistake you see both the numbers as well as the slope and smoothness of the curve. If there are any bumps in the ramp you see it immediately and can re-read that patch. In that way it is unlike making  an x-rite rgb profile where you don't see mistakes until the whole thing is finished then you have to start over or manipulate the curve in another window..

It would be nice if they provided more generic profiles on more of the popular media, but you have enough to use as a starting point for all basic surfaces. It is pretty amazing what you can do with say Platine and only one black and two grays. Wish there were more light grays but whatta ya gonna do.

Although Canon has sanctioned this rip , you ever see them promoting it. That's stupid because there is so much it could used it for, like even customizing your own inksets and such. 

If I knew what the base was I'd remove at least the blue channel, put another light gray ink in with those 3rd party carts, and use the sliders in TBW to linearize 4 Chanel's. So, unlike  Epson grays, the Canon inks don't need color channels to neutralize them. But it's super easy to color tone and name that profile if you want to. There is no split-going capability though like QTR. You would need to use something like Lightroom or Photoshop for that.

John

I've checked with ImagePrint directly about this and they are working on it (basically it's Narrow Gamut technology) that used to be for Epson and they are roughly a few months from completing (as long as there are no delays/issues before than).

eduardohagio

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 01:13:39 pm »

Thanks for the replies!

Nice! Looking forward to testing it  :D

I've been using the Bowhaus True Black ad White rip for 8 years on the IPF 8300 with the previous Lucia inkset and it is just spectacular. There has never been so versatile a software for monochrome imaging with full color ink-sets that is SO easy to use. It does basically what Qtr has always done with Epson printers but in a much more intuitive and simple graphic interface, at least for the linearization process , and customizing the overall print color.

Think I'm gonna test the Bowhaus TBW too when Pro-4000 is ready  8)  :D

If possible, I'll post my impressions here...

Thanks for your help!

Eduardo H.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 02:07:37 pm »

I've been using the Bowhaus True Black ad White rip for 8 years on the IPF 8300 with the previous Lucia inkset and it is just spectacular. There has never been so versatile a software for monochrome imaging with full color ink-sets that is SO easy to use.

It may be easy to use on Mac, but if you are on Windows you are out of luck.  TBW is Mac only.

eduardohagio

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 07:40:27 am »

It may be easy to use on Mac, but if you are on Windows you are out of luck.  TBW is Mac only.

Luckily, I'm working on Mac  ;D  Hope it's really friendly to newbies

Thanks, John!

Eduardo H.

patjoja

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 12:51:18 am »

Yes, so I noticed.  That's too bad. 

Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up