Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does Olympus teleconverter work?  (Read 1247 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
How does Olympus teleconverter work?
« on: January 28, 2018, 07:06:11 pm »

I just realized I can leave my teleconverter on my lens and disable it through the menu system on the OM-D E-M1. Since the presence or absence of the teleconverter constitutes a physical change in the optics, how is this accomplished through the firmware? Is there something machanical happening in the teleconverter?

b_rubenstein

Re: How does Olympus teleconverter work?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 10:02:32 pm »

In Shooting Menu 1 (of both E-M1 MkI & MII) There is a Digital Tele-converter setting that creates a digital cropping of an image in the camera via software. There is no menu setting that pertains to a physical teleconverter.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 04:10:41 am »

Oh. That makes sense. Thanks.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 05:19:43 pm »

"Digital tele-converter" is just a cute name for in camera cropping.  Raw photos won't show this...only JPG files. 

However, in video mode it is quite handy and the quality loss is barely an issue at all.  I have used it many times in video with great results.  It is also handy as a cheap binocular in the field.  You can double your view especially if you go into magnify mode.  It really lets you spot small critters or whatever you may want to see at a distance.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)
Pages: [1]   Go Up