Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Documenting image / print / exhibition details  (Read 1491 times)

mbaginy

Documenting image / print / exhibition details
« on: January 26, 2018, 03:11:36 am »

Following a number of exhibitions, where I presented prints, I want to record the details: which images, print size, paper, etc.  My intention is to also print a sheet of such information, should that be required.

After creating an excel sheet and populating it with a jpeg of each image and further information, I wondered if I could use LR to specify these details.

Maybe I’ve overlooked a possibility in LR, but I haven’t yet found an useable manner.  Do you document similar information and which software do you use?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Documenting image / print / exhibition details
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:31:14 am »

My free Big Note plugin lets you add long notes in Lightroom, but they won't print. Maybe you should just take over an existing field - Instructions for example. Also consider using virtual copies for pictures shown at different exhibitions or in different formats etc.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:09:15 am by john beardsworth »

CeeVee

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:34:42 am »

Following a number of exhibitions, where I presented prints, I want to record the details: which images, print size, paper, etc.  My intention is to also print a sheet of such information, should that be required.

After creating an excel sheet and populating it with a jpeg of each image and further information, I wondered if I could use LR to specify these details.

Maybe I’ve overlooked a possibility in LR, but I haven’t yet found an useable manner.  Do you document similar information and which software do you use?
It's possible to export metadata from LR as text. Perhaps you can find a Macro for Excell to command the export then sort and select for the details you want and load those while discarding the rest.
It's true tho' that LR is far from the smoothest at handling Metadata (epic fail IMHO). You could also try the EXIF Command Line editor, the name escapes me, with a series a switches to select and save as a comma delimited file of the filelds you need.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:44:57 am »

It's possible to export metadata from LR as text. Perhaps you can find a Macro for Excell to command the export then sort and select for the details you want and load those while discarding the rest.

At the risk of turning the thread into an infomercial, my ListView plugin does that.

CeeVee

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 07:16:52 am »

At the risk of turning the thread into an infomercial, my ListView plugin does that.
Depends on whether or not it (your plugin) can be utilized. There are several reasons why it might not be. For one there's choice, for another there's focus, for a third maybe in the OP's environment Plugins can't work.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:22:01 am »

You would be right if the OP isn't using Lightroom.....

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 02:20:17 am »

Thanks for your suggestion, John and CeeVee.  I believe I'll continue with the excel (actually Apple numbers) lists I have set up.  My hope was for a direct output from LR to some soft of filterable list.  I'd like to filter by image, by exhibition and other data.  I'll continue with my lists.
Pages: [1]   Go Up