Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer desk  (Read 4069 times)

CeeVee

Computer desk
« on: January 25, 2018, 07:30:19 pm »

This year, probably by July, we are moving to another house.
With this move I've an opportunity to get a new desk to work on as I can start over. Currently my desk is a 42" hollow-core door over two, 2-drawer, file cabinets.
The dual monitors, scanners and an Epson printer fit, albeit tightly but anyone could want more real-estate.
Looking for suggestions, what do you use? and how did you “engineer” it?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Computer desk
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:14:51 pm »

IKEA
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:30:44 pm »

At least for my keyboard and Display, I've been in love with VariDesk now for about 2 years. I find I prefer working while standing but I don't have to.
https://www.varidesk.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAnabTBRA6EiwAemvBd1_ynDoO9XWvpx-LhyyoxGwgPsYXMXPwF1HwVAcsHQyL9k_lQ1q51xoC1-cQAvD_BwE
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 10:33:47 pm »

I bought my apartment off-the-plan. The plan showed a nice space in the corner of my second bedroom.

The problem was that this designated space had no power outlets. Something to think about!

IKEA came to the rescue with a nice little desk next to the two power points in the room.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:37:47 pm »

I'd spend the money first on a good chair, they're worth their weight in gold. Formway Life Chair has a good reputation from owners.
FWIW, I made my own desk out of eucalyptus floorboards. It's 13 ft long and that's enough. More importantly it's on one side of the lounge where the woodburner lives. I've had enough of freezing feet.
David

TonyW

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:28:14 am »

IKEA
Yes, good selection at reasonable prices, assuming you are happy with minimalistic designs - I am  8)

As I was not able to use a spare room in the way I wanted had to compromise and set up a small area in the family room.  I settled on a white high gloss finish desk with two drawers.  Long enough to accomodate a 21" iMac, 24" Eizo and 21" NEC monitor plus keyboards and mice and small NAS.  For added storage 3 wall mounted high gloss cabinets and another deep wall cabinet mounted on castors underneath desk to house printer, scanner, small laminator etc.  The desk itself is not particularly deep which suited my needs YMMV.  Can send a quick pic if you wanted to see the setup
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/best%C3%A5-burs-desk-high-gloss-white-art-70245339/
EDIT: The desk I have is similar to the one above but longer @180cm (approx 71")
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:42:24 am by TonyW »

CeeVee

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 07:09:27 am »

Ikea? NO, thank you. If your 5' 4" or there about that might work. If your a 6 footer, like me, _very_ much not.
I do like the floor boards idea and I have done a shop table top of 2 4x8 (plywood sheet ripped long-ways). Could put sheet flooring on top and a 1x3 frame beneath and then file cabinets for pedestals.
Chair is important but I've got a good mesh-backed office chair.
Heat won't be a problem (in Florida) most times.

And it's got to look "good" for wifie.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 09:38:55 am »

Well, you could do what I did (I’m 6’4”). I gave my wife my needs in a desk and let her come back with some that she thought would do.  It didn’t take too long before we agreed on one that met my needs and her aesthetics.  Domestic tranquilty ensued.  She got the joy of shopping and I got a suitable desk.
Regards,
Ron

Rand47

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 10:13:13 am »

I’m using an “L” return portion of a very large “office desk,” that I bought from an office furniture store.  I’m left handed, so I got the “return” in the left-configuration.  I find that having my entire arm from elbow onward “on the desk surface on the L-leg of the return” makes for more accurate and less tiring mousing and Wacom-pen-in.  The underside has no drawers or anything, so I’ve slid a two drawer file cabinet, and some of those plastic stacked drawer units under it.  There’s plenty of room on the main portion to have a 30” monitor, my computer and small UPS, and a utility printer.  The store I bought it from deals in used office furniture.  See if there’s one in your area and visit.  You can often buy very robust high quality office desks etc. at reasonable prices compared to retail.

I second the comment on a good chair.  I treated myself to a Herman Miller Aeron chair a few years ago.  LOVE IT.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 11:08:59 am »

I use the Vari desk that Andrew speaks of with two monitors in a corner position.  It is a joy to work standing up.  I am doing a video and a story on my workspaces.  I'll have it finished in the next few weeks.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

CeeVee

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 11:11:40 am »

I’m using an “L” return portion of a very large “office desk,” that I bought from an office furniture store.  I’m left handed, so I got the “return” in the left-configuration.  I find that having my entire arm from elbow onward “on the desk surface on the L-leg of the return” makes for more accurate and less tiring mousing and Wacom-pen-in.  The underside has no drawers or anything, so I’ve slid a two drawer file cabinet, and some of those plastic stacked drawer units under it.  There’s plenty of room on the main portion to have a 30” monitor, my computer and small UPS, and a utility printer.  The store I bought it from deals in used office furniture.  See if there’s one in your area and visit.  You can often buy very robust high quality office desks etc. at reasonable prices compared to retail.

I second the comment on a good chair.  I treated myself to a Herman Miller Aeron chair a few years ago.  LOVE IT.

Rand
Don't love the price.

TonyW

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 11:44:58 am »

Ikea? NO, thank you. If your 5' 4" or there about that might work. If your a 6 footer, like me, _very_ much not....
??? Well, fair enough if you do not like the design or even the company but I am also a 6 footer and have no issues although you would need something like Andrew mentioned if you wish to stand  ;D

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 01:16:30 pm »

I'd spend the money first on a good chair, they're worth their weight in gold. Formway Life Chair has a good reputation from owners.
FWIW, I made my own desk out of eucalyptus floorboards. It's 13 ft long and that's enough. More importantly it's on one side of the lounge where the woodburner lives. I've had enough of freezing feet.
David

Yes, the chair is the thing!! I spent almost $1k on an Aeron chair some 15 years ago and am still happily sitting there.

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 04:17:26 pm »

I've had the Herman Miller Aeron and still have a Steelcase competitor (reasonably priced).  My second office chair is the even more reasonably priced IKEA Markus that is my favorite as it handles tall people much better.  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/ . Just my $0.02.
Regards,
Ron

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 05:52:58 pm »

Interesting topic and timely for me.

Having recently redone our kitchen and painted and putting in new carpets in the next week or two, it came to our home office and what to do.  Two previous tables (one a "computer" style desk and the other a simple Ikea construction) never really fit the room ideally, nor the décor (particularly not with new paint and new carpets coming).

We looked at HEAPS of options, but most were either functional but lacking in aesthetics or beautiful but not functional.  Finally, we found someone who custom manufactures dining tables and other furniture and we have a 2700mmx900mm table being made at the moment that will fill most of one wall space (which itself is less than the room width because of a column-like structure in one corner).  It will sit perfectly leaving room for an antique folding card table to "slot away" when not in use and give a great working space that is attractive and functional in its simplicity.  It provides for both my wife and I (her use is only occassional) and to put a desktop printer, DAS device, phone, computer monitors, wacom, and so on.

My take away, if it's going to be something you use for a long time, it's worth looking at custom options and getting something that you consider is right for the space.  In this case, at around $3,000- delivered and installed (they put it together onsite, and it's far more study than an Ikea, with a proper frame), it's not cheap, and probably 2.5-3x the cost of getting a couple of Ikea desks (from their better quality options), but it will help to keep the room looking like it doesn't have random desks in it, but instead a piece of furniture that suits in terms of overall aesthetic whilst still being as functional as we needed.  In the long term, that extra cost will be very little, spread over the likely lifetime of the table of several decades, and we'll enjoy it and the room much more.
Phil Brown

tonysiciliano1

• Tony Siciliano Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 09:34:47 pm »

If you spend a lot of time at your desk, ergonomics are important. Don't put your keyboard on the desktop...that is too high. Get a desk with a keyboard tray that sits below the desk and ideally is slanted slightly down (away from you). It's important that when sitting your hips are slightly higher than your knees, so you need a chair that is adjustable enough to allow this, and a desk that will accomodate the chair and a keyboard tray and your knees. Here's a link: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-an-ergonomic-workstation/

Stephen Ray

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 08:29:54 pm »

my desk is a 42" hollow-core door

Bring your hollow-core with you to Florida and then annex it in an L-fashion to a new solid-core door as an affordable upgrade. Done.

CeeVee

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 08:56:54 pm »

Bring your hollow-core with you to Florida and then annex it in an L-fashion to a new solid-core door as an affordable upgrade. Done.
Have you ever really tried that?

Stephen Ray

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 12:24:20 am »

Have you ever really tried that?

Bring hollow-core to Florida? I wouldn’t be afraid to. I would definitely bring my L-fashion ;-)

CeeVee

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 06:14:55 am »

Bring hollow-core to Florida? I wouldn’t be afraid to. I would definitely bring my L-fashion ;-)
Cutting and splicing a hollow core door(s)

Pages: [1]   Go Up