Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D4: Disable shutter release AF in live view only  (Read 10794 times)

dreed

Canon 5D4: Disable shutter release AF in live view only
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:15:13 am »

Earlier this week I picked up a 5d4 to replace an aging 5d2 (off switch no longer works and it still has some black paint left but not a lot ;)

When using the 5d2 to shoot in live mode, it either by default (or I've found a configuration option) does not auto-focus when the shutter button is pressed. When not in live view mode, shutter release works like normal.

I can't for the life of me work out how to make the 5d4 behave like that. Is there something that I'm missing?

one iota

Re: Canon 5D4: Disable shutter release AF in live view only
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 11:54:19 pm »

I have a 5DII and a 5Ds. I'd never noticed this with the 5DII until now! In live view it focuses with the "AF-ON" but not with the shutter release half pressed....curious. The 5Ds focuses either way in live view...I can't find a menu option either.
Mahn England

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:12:33 pm »

http://blog.planet5d.com/2016/09/back-button-focus-on-steroids-the-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-feature-that-blew-me-away/

AF-ON is also code for back button focus.  It sounds like you need to turn on back button focus just for live view.
t: @PNWMF

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 09:20:59 pm »

On my 5D3 Have back button focus enabled, and with a manual focus lens and in live view, the green focus light will activate as one tries to focus in live view, (10x mag.),.... but I always still adjust my final focus setting manually.
Leszek, G
Pages: [1]   Go Up