Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wow. Arthur Morris' blog post.  (Read 13826 times)

Colorado David

Wow. Arthur Morris' blog post.
« on: January 24, 2018, 03:59:04 pm »

I never thought I would read a blog post like that from Arthur Morris. He has changed to Nikon and is praising the auto focus as a game changer in his life. http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2018/01/24/why-i-switched-from-canon-to-nikon/

NancyP

Re: Wow. Arthur Morris' blog post.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 05:49:42 pm »

I will have to ask around and see if any of the regional wildlife photographers have the same experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if AM gets named whatever Nikon calls their equivalent of "Explorers of Light", and gets set up with ultra-high-level repair with loaners / maintenance / lens and body beta tester / etc support.
I will bet anything that AM lost out on the top pro level of service at Canon when they stopped providing support for exhibits, and that he now has to get in line with non-elite pros. If he is giving lots of workshops, he would miss the red carpet first-in-line treatment for repairs that he likely got from Canon when he was their official EoL.

stever

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 07:48:32 pm »

Haven't looked at Art's blog for quite a while - too many words.  I think his change reflects 2 trends - first the difficulty today of making a living as a photographer, particularly a stock photographer.  Second, the apparent decision by Canon that still photography is not a growth market and the decision to reduce development and operating expenditures in line with their long-term forecast.  About a year after Canon's success with the 5D mkii there were already signs that development and promotion dollars were being shifted to video.  Good for Canon shareholders and moviemakers, not so good for us old Canon shooters.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:02:32 am »

For me, the take away is that pros will use the gear that makes getting their shots easier. In this case, for him, it is the D5 and more adequate AF for his needs.

LikesToys

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:28:19 pm »

Yes, I too was surprised and as a Canon shooter somewhat disappointed - yet another top photographer move away from Canon.  Ari Hazeghi is an associate of Arts and wrote an excellent explanation of how Canon seems to be falling behind Nikon:  http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/switch-to-the-dark-side/

Canon is fare from dead, the glass still is impressive but the body's are lacking innovation.   Still there is always hope for the future.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 12:33:45 pm »

Canon still has the best ~$1,000.00 (used) interchangeable lens DSLR option for low-budget beginning BIF photographers. A used set of my old 60D and EF 400 f/5.6L no-IS combo can be had (with careful shopping) for that much. It isn't the greatest kit, but I learned a lot and had a lot of fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up