Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 4K tv also used as a digital photo frame  (Read 14058 times)

gchappel

4K tv also used as a digital photo frame
« on: January 20, 2018, 08:04:31 am »

As I am purchasing a new 65" 4k tv I am looking for a way to use it as a photo frame, when not watching sports.
TV will be hard wired into my home network.
I would like to control content from my pc, not walking a usb stick over everytime I want to see a new image.
I do not want a slideshow that changes pictures with spinning wipe moves every 15 seconds- I want to be able to control that.  Maybe one change an hour, maybe just displaying the one image.
In this day and age, this can not be that hard, but at least in my google searches I do not yet see how to accomplish this simple sounding task.
Any ideas or personal experience?
Thanks
Gary

degrub

Re: 4K tv also used as a digital photo frame
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 08:25:01 am »

Sounds like you need a device with storage to stream images from and then point the TV to the device as a source. So maybe a small NAS device that supports dlna ? Have you researched Synology or QNAP ?

gchappel

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:56:48 am »

I am not very computer savy. 
dlna?  Synology or Qnap?  All new words to me.
I will start to look in that direction- thanks for the guidance.
Gary

degrub

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 09:34:11 am »

or you could burn a DVD with a slideshow movie set to 1 hour interval and just play that. Simpler. Cheaper

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 09:52:50 am »

My AppleTV does this.  It links to my Flickr account and plays continuously changing images.  Very satisfying, especially the cat ones. :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 10:19:54 am »

Smart TV's usually have USB ports.  You could put your pictures on a memory card into the USB jack.  Then run a slide show from there assuming you new TV has a slide app built in.  There also might be slide apps you can install into the TV as they're like computers today to a large extent.  Good luck.  Let us know what you came up with so we all can learn.

PS what TV model did you get?

Miles

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 11:54:16 am »

Similar to what Alan said, most tv's now accept USB cards and can run a slide show without any additional device.  Export your files from lightroom at 4k resolution and you'll find the file sizes are small and you can fit an incredible amount onto a USB.  You may be able to run different directories (one at a time) on the TV if you want to differentiate your slide shows (waterfalls this afternoon, sunsets this evening, etc.).  This is really an easy, inexpensive option.

If your TV can't handle this, I have found that many mid range and up DVD/Bluray players will accept and access a USB device, thus you can accomplish the same result that way, just keep in mind the resolution of the player.

Finally, you could update to a 4k player if you haven't already, and attach the USB to that.  Prices have come down and more vivid displays and supporting 4k players which support enhanced colors are readily available.

I'll be interested in what option you choose.

Miles

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 12:38:34 pm »

As mentioned above Apple TV does this very well.  I can also use airplay from any of my IOS devices and airplay to the Apple TV.  It's not uncommon for me to do this when family and guests are visiting.

I'll also be publishing soon an article on digital wall frames which are very good.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

gchappel

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 03:37:03 pm »

I "think" I will be getting the LF OLED E7. 
The images look terrific.  The set itself has a decent slideshow program.
The images change too quickly- every 30sec or so, but otherwise ok.
I am looking for a solution that does not require plugging in a flashdrive.
I would like to be able to work on an image- and link it from my computer or cloud storage.
I would also like to only show a single image for some time- like art.   
I have found a small program, http://www.cmpsoft.com/V5/media-browser/
that seems to maintain true 4k and use cloud services. 
I thought airplay was limited to 1080??  It likely makes no difference but I was hoping to use the full 4k. 
Thanks.  Room is presently under construction.  Promised to be done in the next 2 weeks, which means 4months.
Gary

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 03:49:46 pm »

Smart TV's can be put on your network using Wi-Fi.  Although I haven't tried it, it would seem the TV could then get the pictures from the computer which would run the slide show to whatever time frame you want.   

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 04:11:06 pm »

I have a Sony Android-based 4K "smart TV" that I can broadcast to from my iPhone. This is how I watch YouTube video, and also how I often view photos. For photos: in cloud storage I have a 4K folder, and use the Files app in conjunction with a 3rd party app called TV Assist to send the pics to the TV. It's a bit roundabout but works well. I'd bet with an Android smartgizmo I wouldn't need the intermediary app.

-Dave-

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 04:28:52 pm »

I have a Sony Android-based 4K "smart TV" that I can broadcast to from my iPhone. This is how I watch YouTube video, and also how I often view photos. For photos: in cloud storage I have a 4K folder, and use the Files app in conjunction with a 3rd party app called TV Assist to send the pics to the TV. It's a bit roundabout but works well. I'd bet with an Android smartgizmo I wouldn't need the intermediary app.

-Dave-
Why not tune the YouTube videos directly from the TV?  I watch them all the time even including 3D movies on YouTube.

Telecaster

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 04:55:13 pm »

Why not tune the YouTube videos directly from the TV?  I watch them all the time even including 3D movies on YouTube.

Yup, I do that too at times. Mostly I just prefer the mobile app's interface, though.

-Dave-

hogloff

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 06:14:46 pm »

As mentioned above Apple TV does this very well.  I can also use airplay from any of my IOS devices and airplay to the Apple TV.  It's not uncommon for me to do this when family and guests are visiting.

I'll also be publishing soon an article on digital wall frames which are very good.

Kevin, I'm interested in a digital wall frame but have one concern...image burn in. If an image is displayed onto the digital frame for hundreds of hours, will it suffer from burn in?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 01:30:48 am »

I am wondering whether displaying the same image for an hour is a usage pattern that is considered when these TVs are designed?

I would check with the manufacturer whether there is no risk of damaging the set.

Cheers,
Bernard

Peter McLennan

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 02:32:10 pm »

My AppleTV changes the images every five seconds or so.  No worries about burn in.

hogloff

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 10:47:46 am »

My AppleTV changes the images every five seconds or so.  No worries about burn in.

I’m more interested in the digital wall frames where i’d Leave an image static on the screen for months. Really despise a constantly changing display in my formal room.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 11:06:46 am »

Just finished the video and article on digital frames last night.  It will go in the Queue and be published in the next 2 weeks.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Joe Towner

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 11:14:31 am »

I’m more interested in the digital wall frames where i’d Leave an image static on the screen for months. Really despise a constantly changing display in my formal room.

Check out https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/frame-tv/ as it's a pre-designed setup, but with a pre-designed price. 
t: @PNWMF

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 12:15:15 pm »

Joe, thanks for the heads up on this.  It's a really cool option for what it looks like.  I really may be tempted to pull the trigger on this one. I have other digital frames which you can read about in the review/article.  This one though answers the needs I have for a rather large wall space.  May be tempted to get the larger one for the gallery. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up