Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon TSE frame - lens mount for stitching shifted images  (Read 36225 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Canon TSE frame - lens mount for stitching shifted images
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:16:35 am »

I've just been trying out a new device for directly attaching a TS-E17 or 24 mk2 lens to a tripod for stitching.

The frame includes bubble levels and options for rotating the lens about a nodal axis for pano stitching. I tried it out in a location with overlapping near/far feature that I know causes problems for the camera fixed and shifting the lens (example below is a ~100MP up/middle/down flat stitch)

I've written up some notes on its use at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/rogeti-tse-frame-review/

A gadget that's found its way straight into my bag for my architectural and interior work. The one I tested was still a prototype, but worked very well.

I've not been able to test it yet with the 3 new TS-E lenses and as yet it's Canon TS-E only...

Rado

Re: Canon TSE frame - lens mount for stitching shifted images
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 11:05:41 am »

That looks very well made. Canon really missed the opportunity to add tripod collars to the new TSE lenses... might be 20 years until we see the next update of those.

douglas frost

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:19:58 pm »

A gadget that's found its way straight into my bag for my architectural and interior work. The one I tested was still a prototype, but worked very well.

Keith, how would you compare the Rogeti to the PPL TSE adaptor that you reviewed in 2013 (now sold by Hartblei)? I would be using my 17 and 24 ts-e lenses mounted via a Metabones iv to a Sony A7R3.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:27:58 pm »

Keith, how would you compare the Rogeti to the PPL TSE adaptor that you reviewed in 2013 (now sold by Hartblei)? I would be using my 17 and 24 ts-e lenses mounted via a Metabones iv to a Sony A7R3.
The PPL adapter was always a bit clunky to use - just enough for me not to bother some times ;-)
Very solidly built but took a while to swap lens or just set up and use. It's naturally set for left/right stitching, whilst far more of my TS-E17 use is up/down to get a square upwardly shifted end image.

I hardly ever use tilt with the 17/24, so the lack of tilt with the TSE Frame is not an issue.

What impressed me with the Rogeti was just how quickly it firmly attached to the lens and the way that it made use of both rotational adjustments of the TS-E lens. It also has easily visible levels.

The grip of my 5Ds caught on some tripod heads I used when I tried the quad (45 degree) stitching setup, but I note in the manufacturer's videos, they are using a camera and adapter.

douglas frost

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:44:34 pm »

Many thanks Keith. Just from your reviews, that was what I thought might be the answer. Your preferred usage of vertical stitching mirrors mine. Time to shop... 😀

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 01:58:32 am »

I've had the Hartblei one for years. It's a solid piece of machined aluminium. Fits the 17 and 24 perfectly, but haven't tried it with the new ones.

Kirk_C

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:48:47 am »

I considered the Hartblei until I read on another forum that it leaves marks on the lens. This looks very nice and it's more affordable.

the_luminous_french

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 11:03:50 am »

i've just find this, to go with it... kase-170mm-Filter-Holder aliexpress

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 11:41:21 am »

i've just find this, to go with it... kase-170mm-Filter-Holder aliexpress

What is it you've found?

To go with what?

The TSE Frame?? or TS-E 17 or 24mm?

the_luminous_french

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 06:19:02 pm »

a filter holder to go with the 17... but i can't manage to post the link !

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 07:06:20 pm »

a filter holder to go with the 17... but i can't manage to post the link !
the 'traditional way' is not include the http: and to replace . with  dot
fools most blocking

But TS-E 17 filter holders are not new? Is there something special about it?

Daniel_Jackson

• Daniel Jackson Photo
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 06:36:06 pm »

Thanks for the post Keith. I had looked at the Hartblei but this is a lot more appealing to me because it is easy to swap from one lens to another. I have been thinking I might get it but I have the nagging fear that it is just more weight to carry around. It is so rare that I run into difficulties stitching unless something is really close to the lens. I guess my question would be, is the ease in photoshop, worth the extra hassle of mounting and carrying this thing?

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 07:15:37 pm »

Thanks for the post Keith. I had looked at the Hartblei but this is a lot more appealing to me because it is easy to swap from one lens to another. I have been thinking I might get it but I have the nagging fear that it is just more weight to carry around. It is so rare that I run into difficulties stitching unless something is really close to the lens. I guess my question would be, is the ease in photoshop, worth the extra hassle of mounting and carrying this thing?
For the PPL one I also test, quite often not worth it, but this one is very light and its ease of use makes it a regular inclusion for my bag.

It goes in the bag when I'm doing sorts of work that may benefit from the stitching - more likely for interiors. See the examples in the review. The only times I've had problems with stitching tend to be locations like the stairs and hand-rails in the place I tried it out.  I also found it helped my camera levelling - particularly with the TS-E17, where any errors are exacerbated.  That said I still use the TS-E17 hand held some times...

One other thing is that it defaults to up/down stitches, which are my most common choice.

So, a lot depends on just why you stitch, and the subjects.  The weight is minimal if I've got a tripod with me.

Daniel_Jackson

• Daniel Jackson Photo
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 07:54:39 pm »

Thanks, I think that might be next on my list. :)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 08:49:15 am »

That looks very well made. Canon really missed the opportunity to add tripod collars to the new TSE lenses... might be 20 years until we see the next update of those.

+1 Nikon made the same mistake with the 19mmPCE
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Daniel_Jackson

• Daniel Jackson Photo
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 09:32:04 am »

I got mine and I can confirm that it does NOT fit the new 90mm tse macro.

The build quality of the frame is good but it bumps into my Arca Cube when I go vertical, If I use the nodal baseplate it gives me enough space but I am bummed to need the workaround. That said, I experimented with stitching some images and it is absolutely flawless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up