Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In PS I often get a huge bump in saturation for unknown reason  (Read 1610 times)

saiguy

Have experienced this many times. Last time I tried undo, back up in history, nothing would change the strange behavior. BTW not working in Hue/Saturation. Just using the spot healing tool, or some other tool, I make a click and the image saturation takes on a big boost.

Any ideas why this happens and how to prevent it?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: In PS I often get a huge bump in saturation for unknown reason
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:02:30 pm »

Try turning on/off GPU options in preferences to see if that makes any difference; sometimes it can.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

saiguy

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:55:22 pm »

Dear Dog,  Are you suggesting I simply turn on/off the GPU, or leaving it off. Once the saturation boost occurs it seems to stick. I have to close the file and start over again. Next time I'll try what you suggest but think the damage will already be done. I like having GPU function but can live without it if it prevents this weird behavior. Maybe I can "save" more often and recover from that state.

Thank for your reply,

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 02:13:31 pm »

Dear Dog,  Are you suggesting I simply turn on/off the GPU, or leaving it off.
I'm wondering if this is an issue with the preview due to GPU settings which are known to occur from time to time. If you turn it off temporarily does it affect this issue?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

saiguy

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 04:06:12 pm »

I will try that next time it happens. If that doesn't work I will save it back to LR and see if it stuck with the preview. Will try somehow to report it to you but could be quite a while from now before I run into this again.

thanks for your insight,

saiguy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 04:44:58 pm »

Today editing in PS I point to an icon on the tool column. Get the saturation boost. Nothing can remove it, undo, go to open state in history. Then turned off GPU option. No change. So I flatten the file, save it back to LR. In LR all the edits are there and no Sat Boost. I send it back to PS now with GPU off. After some editing I hit the eyeball to turn off a layer with only small healing on it; boom the dreaded Sat Boost. Again flatten and save. Everything intact back in LR as before.

I was 1 update behind current and am now updating to newest. Hopefully one of the bug fixes is the one I am having.

Will report again if this reoccurs.

Peterretep2

• Mountain Photographics
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 09:33:50 am »

Something like what you describe also happens to me occasionally, a saturation boost with extra red/magenta. I'm pretty sure it's some kind of a color setting profile glitch with my 2nd (primary editing) monitor. To rectify it I go to the Edit menu and drop down to Color Settings. I click on Color Settings and as soon as the window for it opens the photo is back to normal.
Photography by Peter Montanti, www.mountainphotographics.com

saiguy

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 01:27:42 pm »

WOW, I'll try that next time. I think mine was also red/magenta boost. You say go to Edit Menu/Color Settings. Do you mean Preferences?  I'm on Mac.

thanks for the tip,

Peterretep2

• Mountain Photographics
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 03:48:45 pm »

No, not preferences. It's under Edit on the main menu bar. Let me know if that works for you, you may have an entirely different issue.
Photography by Peter Montanti, www.mountainphotographics.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up