Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One P30+ kit (P30+, Phase One DF, 80mm f2.8 ADVICE  (Read 2114 times)

rollsman44

Phase One P30+ kit (P30+, Phase One DF, 80mm f2.8 ADVICE
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:07:02 am »

I have used several MF cameras and sold them but Now I want to purchase ONE FOR MY PERSONAL WORK,  SOCIAL, PORTRAITS ETC.  I AM NOT SURE ABOUT the Phase one P30+ and the DF and lens combo . Any suggestions on this system.  Greatly appreciate it   Thanks   
   Also, do I have to use Capture 1 software?   I currently use LR   

pschefz

Re: Phase One P30+ kit (P30+, Phase One DF, 80mm f2.8 ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:04:07 am »

i wouldn’t do it....GFX is in a different world....
even A7RIII or d 850 are a better choice....
i know the P30+ well, used to own it, it just can’t compete on any level with what is out there now...
lenses for that system will be very expensive as well and one of the reasons for getting into this system would be C1...if you prefer LR it would be another reason NOT to go this way....
i don’t know how much this kit would be but regardless, it is not worth it...
schefz.com
artloch.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:47:32 am »

Hi,

I would rather go with the Fuji GFX or the Hasselblad X1D. Why, because they are modern CMOS based cameras with a lens system designed for them.

My experience is with the P45+ on Hasselblad 555/ELD. Here is my experience on that platform:
  • Definitively does a decent job.
  • But not a winner over my Sony A7rII
  • Lens quality is a bit so, so. Se below:
  • Excellent lenses are Sonnar 180/4CFi, Sonnar 150/4CF, Planar 100/3.5CF
  • OK lenses are Planar 80/2.8 CFi, Distagon 60/3.5CF, Distagon 50/4CF
  • The Planar 120/4CF is a macro lens intended for close range. Not really good at long distance. But, the focal length suits me fine so it was one of my most used lenses.
  • The Distagon 40/4 CF is really quite weak. There is a newer version with internal focusing that is probably great.
  • But, I have made great images with any of those lenses!

Phase One backs work just fine with Lightroom, so there is no need to use C1. Phase One obviously has spent some effort on C1 supporting Phase One backs really well. But, I have not found that C1 is nirvana. Some things are better in C1 than in Lightroom, but there are areas where Lightroom is quite a bit ahead, IMHO. So, if you like LR just continue using it. I use Lightroom with my P45+, but I have also used my own profiles since day one.

Marketing aside, buying into a used Phase One system is buying into a Mamyia system. There is nothing wrong about that, Mamyia used to be a great system and their lenses used to be top notch.

But, we are into a different era. Since I have the A7rII, I feel that MFD has zero benefits. But, the old Hasselblad is still a great camera and can deliver great results. Downsides are:

• Hard to focus
  • Pretty aliasing prone. I am shooting a lot on the seashore, where I happen to live and color aliasing is a problem on rippled water and sailboat rigs.
  • Somewhat limited in DR

The advantages over the A7rII makes an empty list. But it is still nice to shoot...

Best regards
Erik

I have used several MF cameras and sold them but Now I want to purchase ONE FOR MY PERSONAL WORK,  SOCIAL, PORTRAITS ETC.  I AM NOT SURE ABOUT the Phase one P30+ and the DF and lens combo . Any suggestions on this system.  Greatly appreciate it   Thanks   
   Also, do I have to use Capture 1 software?   I currently use LR
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:56:50 am »

P30 back makes nice images but needs lots of light compared to cmos, body is antiquated with mediocre AF. Old AF Mamiya lenses are cheap and very good. I suggest you buy a used Hassy H or a used CMOS Pentax 645z.

Edmund

Hi,

I would rather go with the Fuji GFX or the Hasselblad X1D. Why, because they are modern CMOS based cameras with a lens system designed for them.

My experience is with the P45+ on Hasselblad 555/ELD. Here is my experience on that platform:
  • Definitively does a decent job.
  • But not a winner over my Sony A7rII
  • Lens quality is a bit so, so. Se below:
  • Excellent lenses are Sonnar 180/4CFi, Sonnar 150/4CF, Planar 100/3.5CF
  • OK lenses are Planar 80/2.8 CFi, Distagon 60/3.5CF, Distagon 50/4CF
  • The Planar 120/4CF is a macro lens intended for close range. Not really good at long distance. But, the focal length suits me fine so it was one of my most used lenses.
  • The Distagon 40/4 CF is really quite weak. There is a newer version with internal focusing that is probably great.
  • But, I have made great images with any of those lenses!

Phase One backs work just fine with Lightroom, so there is no need to use C1. Phase One obviously has spent some effort on C1 supporting Phase One backs really well. But, I have not found that C1 is nirvana. Some things are better in C1 than in Lightroom, but there are areas where Lightroom is quite a bit ahead, IMHO. So, if you like LR just continue using it. I use Lightroom with my P45+, but I have also used my own profiles since day one.

Marketing aside, buying into a used Phase One system is buying into a Mamyia system. There is nothing wrong about that, Mamyia used to be a great system and their lenses used to be top notch.

But, we are into a different era. Since I have the A7rII, I feel that MFD has zero benefits. But, the old Hasselblad is still a great camera and can deliver great results. Downsides are:

• Hard to focus
  • Pretty aliasing prone. I am shooting a lot on the seashore, where I happen to live and color aliasing is a problem on rippled water and sailboat rigs.
  • Somewhat limited in DR

The advantages over the A7rII makes an empty list. But it is still nice to shoot...

Best regards
Erik
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:37:57 pm »

Why?  You've had a 645D and 645Z so far, plus the GFX.  The P30+ is an older chip than the 645D, same microlenses on a CCD chip.  The DF is not what I would consider to be a great body, especially given any type of travel.  You'll be working at base ISO as much as possible, so ISO100 & most likely having to double/triple check autofocus.

What makes it appealing to you?  Is it the resolution, colors, camera in hand type stuff?  If it was a steal of a price, based on what has actually sold on ebay, I may consider picking it up and trying it, knowing I could flip it for minimal loss.

If you were adding a P30+ as a digital back but would mostly shoot film, I would fully support it.  If you're going to shoot digital only, there is nothing appealing about the P/P+ backs other than the P45+ and P65+.  Any perceived savings would lost with a single issue in the body (cuz the back won't die, ever).

Best of luck,
t: @PNWMF

rollsman44

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 07:26:58 am »

Thank you everyone for your Honesty and experience with this system. I have to agree that there are better systems now a days and Less hassle and old technology. True, I did have 645D and 645Z and sold them as I was not using them much. I am Now semi retired from shooting so I was speculating on buying something low cost and with Excellent IQ. I know now this is NOT the way to go and I appreciate all the posts.  Dennis
Pages: [1]   Go Up