Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 79:04 'Hard' Error - Any Fixes?  (Read 3803 times)

Jasper

Z3100 79:04 'Hard' Error - Any Fixes?
« on: January 14, 2018, 11:11:58 am »

Hi all,

I know there are some very experienced Z3100 / Z3200 users here, so looking for suggestions for how to recover from it.  I'm sure others must had had this failure.  Here's the story...

I've had no issues with it in the 10 years or so of ownership until recently, where after a time left unplugged (a month or so), I received the dreaded 79:04 error.

It goes through the initial 0-100% progress bar routine, then moves onto "Initializing Please Wait" and then almost immediately fails with the following error (diagnostics code reached by pressing Down+Cancel).  Note there is no mechanical movement or audible noise at all - the failure happens before carriage starts to move:
  • Code: 0x14010009
  • Severity: Error
  • Priority: 3000
  • Id: 0x101021a
  • Description: STRING_POWER_OFF
  • File: BusHorsburghImpact.cpp
  • Line: 976
  • Class: Electronics
  • Subclass: Main Board
  • Error: Micci2 EIO
  • Define: DRACO_EX_ENGINE_BOARD_MICCI2_EIO
  • Description: Micci2 not responding

If I boot up into the diagnostics prompt, I have the following observations:
  • I can ping the printer from my computer, but cannot communicate via HP's printer utility.  I cannot therefore reinstall/update firmware.
  • When I try to run one of the diagnostic tests, it results in “Starting Horsburgh & MIPS”, then “Starting NVM” and then the 79:04 error.

Other observations and manual diagnostics:
  • The hard drive sounds OK (not making any unexpected noises).
  • I have tried installing a new formatter battery - same error.
  • I tried swapping out the formatter board with a replacement part (but using the same hard drive - I only have one!) and it gives the same error.
  • I have disassembled as one would do to swap the belt out and cleaned everything.  I didn't change the belt as all was fine.  After reassembly, same issue.

Any ideas?  I don't mind buying new parts if there is a reasonable expectation it will address the issue.  I also don't mind dissembling and repairing anything that may be contributing.  However, I want to avoid spending several hundred dollars on replacement parts that might not fix the issue as I'd rather invest that towards a new printer if there is no clear path forward.

So if there is anything you can suggest, I'll give it a go  ;)

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:16:00 pm by Jasper »

Jasper

Re: Z3100 79:04 'Hard' Error - Any Fixes?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:27:58 pm »

I'm wondering if this is failing on the NVM test / retrieval.  Anyone know where the part number is stored on this printer (i.e. on which boards the NVM resides).  I understand it is stored in two places; I assume one is the formatter board, but where else?

Thanks!

Jasper

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 03:29:56 pm »

I guess no-one here has experienced this, or a similar error, with the Z3100?  There are a few similar issues reported on other websites (HP, etc) but unfortunately as the number of people who use this printer is so limited, there isn't much advice.

I guess I'll need to look at a new printer which is a shame as I have the feeling that this would be an easy thing to fix if I had a better understanding of the design (e.g. the order of tests run on power up or in diagnostics mode, which boards store the Part Number, etc) but info on it is so scarce.

I'm also assuming through the lack of response to this post, most users get a third-party to perform their repairs.  I was ruling this out as my local service center charges $100 per hour and I don't really want to pay someone $400 or so for them to come and strip the unit down and then tell me they can't be sure what the issue is.  Does anyone have any experience with this - i.e. do you think I'll end up spending several hundred dollars without any real likelihood of fixing.  If so, I'll just accept my loss and buy a new Epson or Canon 24" printer and move on.  :'(

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:54:29 pm »

I had some errors a year ago ( mine is also 10 years now)
What i did was open up the right side, cleaned the ink every where and to my surprise all the error codes were gone...

maye i was lucky...

At the moment i have an error 44:10

the ventilator..

this has also to do with ink...
i hope it will work again after putting in a new one..

cheers Pieter Kers
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Jasper

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 03:14:48 pm »

Thanks Pieter. 

I stripped the unit down and cleaned it all out (looks like new now!) but unfortunately it didn't fix it.  I have just exchanged PMs with somebody who had the same 'hard' 79:04 error a few years back and they advised swapping out the formatter fixed their issue.  I already tried swapping out the board (keeping same hard drive) so I've now ordered a replacement drive from eBay and we'll see how that goes (if it arrives).

I'll update this post when I receive it in case anyone else sees the same error message in the future.  Unfortunately the 79:04 appears to be a bit of a catch-all and could be due to a number of things. 

If I can't get it working I'll probably be posting again on here in a couple of weeks to confirm consensus of opinion between a new P5000, P7000 and a Pro-2000  :)

Jasper

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 08:37:54 am »

Just to close this out in case others have similar issue...

I have now changed out the hard drive and formatter and unfortunately I still have the 79:04 error (with no recovery).

My initial suspicion was that it wasn't formatter/hard drive but I thought it was worth the relatively low cost to purchase the replacement parts to find out.  My suspicion, as highlighted earlier in this thread, is that the Printer's Part/Serial number is stored in NVM somewhere else on the printer, but unfortunately no-one knows which card!

I know others have had the same issue (posts on hp.com forum) so I posted this just to record what I had done and how it didn't fix it.  If anyone knows which card also stores Part Number/Serial Number (other than formatter) or has any further suggestions, please let me know.  Otherwise, unfortunately a very clean and good condition printer is going to be scrapped. 

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 01:23:04 pm »

I would get back in there with a good light and clean everything in the paper transport area to make sure you have no obstruction in the paper path area or dried ink on one of the sensors. I'd also take the other side of the printer off and clean around there and look around.

I guess you have read all of Marks wiki on these printers in terms of maintenance?

Do you have a service manuel on this printer? I don't and don't know where to get one but that might tell you what the error relates to.

Is the battery on the formatter card new? That is cheap and certainly worth changing.

My 3100 is 12 years old and printing like new , except I have to replace the damn belt again. Starting to see those little spots of black rubber on prints. I should have replaced it last year when I replaced the maintenance assembly. My belt looked great and this printer is rarely used, it's my backup, but just sitting there the belt has apparently deteriorated though it still looked good, not frayed . Maybe I'll try to clean it with distilled water. I have a cover on the printer so I thought I wouldn't have to deal with this again.

John

Just to close this out in case others have similar issue...

I have now changed out the hard drive and formatter and unfortunately I still have the 79:04 error (with no recovery).

My initial suspicion was that it wasn't formatter/hard drive but I thought it was worth the relatively low cost to purchase the replacement parts to find out.  My suspicion, as highlighted earlier in this thread, is that the Printer's Part/Serial number is stored in NVM somewhere else on the printer, but unfortunately no-one knows which card!

I know others have had the same issue (posts on hp.com forum) so I posted this just to record what I had done and how it didn't fix it.  If anyone knows which card also stores Part Number/Serial Number (other than formatter) or has any further suggestions, please let me know.  Otherwise, unfortunately a very clean and good condition printer is going to be scrapped.

Jasper

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 06:37:27 am »

I've already cleaned everything - as mentioned I have taken both sides of the printer off, front and rear panels, display, freed the carriage and cleaned everything out it is possible to clean. 

I have the service manual and the 79:04 is a generic 'catch all' error.  Only recommended action is to update the firmware, which is impossible to do as the HP Utility will not communicate with the printer.  Note that the failure appears to occur at the point it is doing internal electronics test (NVM?).

As mentioned, I have already replaced the battery.

My printer is about the same age as yours and it too was printing like new!  Up until now the only thing I needed to do was change the belt which cost about $50 and was simple to do.  That's the real shame here - the entire printer is still like new - other than the fact it doesn't work ;-)

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 06:59:29 pm »

I understand. You've done everything right. That kind of thing can drive you nuts, not knowing if it is simple or requires a major component like a main board.

I guess Hp tech won't talk to you since it is discontinued and unsupported, even though 95% percent of the model is the same as the Z3200 and many of their other printers.

If it were me here n Atlanta I would try to contact an independent Hp authorized outfit that has lots of experience with all of them. We have two here ( unlike Epson or Canon) that don't have to go through HP except to purchase parts and they still work on the 3100s. But I don't know if you even have anyone like that around you.if you are near a large city check online.  Once you are used to this printer it is hard to give up on it.

But don't spend too much on it. I believe you can still buy a new 3200 with one year warranty for $ 3,000
At pro imaging supplies or not much more than that for an Epson 8000.

John

quote author=Jasper link=topic=122685.msg1026398#msg1026398 date=1518176247]
I've already cleaned everything - as mentioned I have taken both sides of the printer off, front and rear panels, display, freed the carriage and cleaned everything out it is possible to clean. 

I have the service manual and the 79:04 is a generic 'catch all' error.  Only recommended action is to update the firmware, which is impossible to do as the HP Utility will not communicate with the printer.  Note that the failure appears to occur at the point it is doing internal electronics test (NVM?).

As mentioned, I have already replaced the battery.

My printer is about the same age as yours and it too was printing like new!  Up until now the only thing I needed to do was change the belt which cost about $50 and was simple to do.  That's the real shame here - the entire printer is still like new - other than the fact it doesn't work ;-)
[/quote]

gfsymon

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 09:26:22 am »

I had some errors a year ago ( mine is also 10 years now)
What i did was open up the right side, cleaned the ink every where and to my surprise all the error codes were gone...

maye i was lucky...

At the moment i have an error 44:10

the ventilator..

this has also to do with ink...
i hope it will work again after putting in a new one..

cheers Pieter Kers

Hi Pieter,

Our z3100 are the same age.  Mine gets limited use, but I just got my first hardware error ( 44:10 ).  I think it may have happened during the very hot weather we have just had ( we hit 42.3°c last month ) because I leave it turned on all the time now, which has worked wonders for keeping the heads clean and clear and getting top quality every time ... but ... heat is the enemy of electronics!!

As you had the same error, I'm wondering if you could share how it worked out for you.  Did the Aerosol Fan replacement work?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 12:28:03 pm »

Hi Pieter,

Our z3100 are the same age.  Mine gets limited use, but I just got my first hardware error ( 44:10 ).  I think it may have happened during the very hot weather we have just had ( we hit 42.3°c last month ) because I leave it turned on all the time now, which has worked wonders for keeping the heads clean and clear and getting top quality every time ... but ... heat is the enemy of electronics!!

As you had the same error, I'm wondering if you could share how it worked out for you.  Did the Aerosol Fan replacement work?

yes it is a very easy replacement- do you have the technical manual?  one place to download it is here:

https://www.lpscomputer.com/collections/designjet-z3100-z3200-parts

you can buy a ventilator at the LPs or HP part store...  i am on my third ventilator- the weakest link in my z.

5 screws to lift the right cover and there it is... 4 crews and the electrical wires...

PS i wonder how it went with Jaspers z....
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 12:31:44 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

gfsymon

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 03:46:55 pm »

yes it is a very easy replacement-

you can buy a ventilator at the LPs or HP part store...  i am on my third ventilator- the weakest link in my z.

Thanks Pieter!

The link was very useful for their 'flow' chart, which suggests to me that it is only the Aerosol Fan which is the problem.  I wonder though that you have had to replace it so many times in 18 months???  Sounds like something else is at play.  I shall try and get it fixed in the next couple of weeks and report back to this thread.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 05:30:15 am »

No not 18 month 12,5 years.. :)

But i am soon in need of my third axis belt; I hear people say the LPL belt is better than the OEM belt...
can anybody chime in on that?  Mine is in its flocking stage so i gues one year to go... than the belts weare out in about 6-7 years...
My orinter is always in the shadow/ climate is moderate.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 08:17:35 am »

No not 18 month 12,5 years.. :)

But i am soon in need of my third axis belt; I hear people say the LPL belt is better than the OEM belt...
can anybody chime in on that?  Mine is in its flocking stage so i gues one year to go... than the belts weare out in about 6-7 years...
My orinter is always in the shadow/ climate is moderate.

Put in a Chinese belt (Ebay) years ago that lasts twice the time (still running) of the original HP one. No wear to be seen or a smudge on a finger after rubbing it. On a now 10+ years Z3200-PS. However the left side plastic axle of the Chinese one installed on the Z3100 broke after some time, replaced that with the axle of the original left side wheel I think. The Z3100 is here 12 years now but was little used since the Z3200-PS arrived, spare parts machine now.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 12:43:44 pm »

Thank You Ernst, I see i made a mistake to buy the second belt from HP...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

gfsymon

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 10:56:52 am »

Just to update on my adventures, in case it should be of help to anyone.

I replaced the aerosol fan (error 44:10) and after a very loooong startup, all was well.  I printed a diagnostic chart which was terrible and probably showed that the heads suffered from the blistering heat this summer, as well as the fan.  I know how to fix that now, so I'm ok with it and the z3100 continues to chug along.  So solid.

As an aside, I had a lot of trouble finding the right part, which apparently has changed since the z3100 shipped.  I was also stunned by shipping times of over a month from 3 companies.  In the end, I went back to the HP site, which is not quite as terrible as it used to be, but is still terrible.  After a while, I found the part on parts.hp.com.  It was in stock in EU and was in my hands 2 days later.  Not only that, HP didn't charge for shipping!!  and ... not only that, they were the best in terms of price too! (28eur).  And of course, I could be sure I was getting the right part, which ironically, turned out to be identical to the one that was installed in my machine.  Ho hum.  So kudos to HP for good service, even though their site makes everything hard to find.

Thanks for the help on here.  Invaluable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up