Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Settings for printing  (Read 838 times)

Nightjar

Monitor Settings for printing
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:16:26 am »

Hi there,

I just got myself an Eizo CG247X for printing projects.

I have some questions though:

1. What are your monitor settings you use for editing before proofing? The Eizo preset for printing is 5000 K at 80 CD. Joshua Holok who has posted here before used 6500 K, 0.4 Blackpoint and 80 CD. But that seems very blueish/whitish for printing.

2. For the calibration you can either choose monitor nativ or different profiles like aRGB. What is the difference? Why would you choose monitor native over aRGB (like Joshua did)? Or is the monitor native gamut aRGB?

Would be grateful for some advice.

Best,
Janis

Justin

Re: Monitor Settings for printing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:41:24 am »

I'm not familiar with the Eizo monitor but on my BenQ SW2700PT I calibrate with an XRite i1 Display Pro and BenQ's Pallette Master Element software. I choose Monitor Native (I can't remember if that's the specific wording), and calibrate to 6500 and a luminence of 90.
This works well for me and I'm very happy with the print to screen match.
Hope this helps.

Doug Gray

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 12:01:13 pm »

Hi there,

I just got myself an Eizo CG247X for printing projects.

I have some questions though:

1. What are your monitor settings you use for editing before proofing? The Eizo preset for printing is 5000 K at 80 CD. Joshua Holok who has posted here before used 6500 K, 0.4 Blackpoint and 80 CD. But that seems very blueish/whitish for printing.

2. For the calibration you can either choose monitor nativ or different profiles like aRGB. What is the difference? Why would you choose monitor native over aRGB (like Joshua did)? Or is the monitor native gamut aRGB?

Would be grateful for some advice.

Best,
Janis
For printing applications it's best to use the monitor's native colorspace because it will provide the best overall rendering of printable colors.

As for the luminance and color temp, this is really more dependent on what you need to do to match your physical print viewing setup.

This can be moderately complex. There are some good videos on this site if you are a subscriber. Andrew Rodney, who also frequents this site, has perhaps the best free videos on color management oriented towards printing on the web. His site is www.digitaldog.net

Nightjar

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 08:58:41 am »

Thanks for the tips.

But what exactly is the monitor native? Adobe RGB? There is the "Custom" mode on the Eizo, but i don't really understand this mode...

Eizo pdf and learning material are a lot to be desired for. They should do it like BMD who has amazing and very thourough manuals.

The big manufacturars are catching up in the monitor business. Eizo should do more to build a platform and community. Also tutorials on YT and other platforms. That should also be something to invest in...its very difficult for me to get the right information on that complex topic.

I will check his website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up