Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limited edition prints from oils: what paper?  (Read 1400 times)

jtmiller

Limited edition prints from oils: what paper?
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:48:21 am »

My daughter is considering selling limited edition prints of her oil paintings. She has a Z3200 and normally prints on an HP Everyday Pigment Gloss paper when doing references for her paintings.

But she would like something less glossy and more appropriate for a print to sell.

Her oils are not on canvas but very fine surfaces, lately aluminum so no coarse texture is needed or desired. Her work is extremely detailed and can be seen at www.artistkatiemiller.com.

I just saw Canson Platine mentioned by Mark Lindquist and looked it up and it appears to have good properties. What others would be appropriate?

Thanks

Jim Miller

Rand47

Re: Limited edition prints from oils: what paper?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 10:39:25 am »

Canson Baryta Prestige

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

jodo

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:42:20 am »

Your daughter’s work is impressive. I’d like to suggest she consider Moab Juniper Baryta. Please let us know what she chooses and why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unesco

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:58:21 pm »

you may also consider some smooth rags, maybe less saturated but noble look, eg. HM Photo Rag Ultra Smooth, similar from Harman or Epson Hot Press
if you are on Epson side, she could go DigiGraphie path, to get limited edition certificates

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 04:07:45 am »

Limited edition? Oil paintings? How many copies?

If it isn't too many copies, try Breathing Colour Pura Smooth. Spray it with two dilute coats of Timeless for a waxy, satin finish, let it sink in and dry, then use full-strength Timeless to paint brush marks and texture over the top.

jtmiller

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 09:07:07 am »

Thanks for the input from all. I'll get some samples on order.

jim

jtmiller

Re: Limited edition prints from oils: what paper? next calibration?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 09:27:11 am »

After deciding which papers from a whiteness and texture standpoint might be appropriate, I'd need to do a calibration and profiling of the paper on the Z3200. Can this be done on the typical samples which are 8.5x11". I'd hate to get a roll ($$) to evaluate then decide it isn't adequate.

Thanks

jim

Miles

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 09:56:06 am »

Hi Jim,

I'm not sure an 8x10 will be large enough.  It's been years since I had a Z thus someone else is probably better answering the question, but it seems like I used to use wider paper on my Z3100.

I've used Plantine and been very happy with the results.  Spray a coating on for protection and the results are very nice.  I tried the Baryta's, and many swear by it, but the gamut difference was very small (almost unnoticeable to my eyes) with the prints I make and I personally preferred the texture and look of Plantine.  Also, Plantine was more forgiving in handling as the Baryta's I tried scratched extremely easily.  Supposedly this scratching problem has been improved lately, but I have not tried the new ones.

Good luck.

Miles

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
Re: Limited edition prints from oils: what paper? next calibration?
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 12:58:35 pm »

After deciding which papers from a whiteness and texture standpoint might be appropriate

Jim has hit the nail on the head here. Since inkjet prints do not have white ink, the whiteness of the paper has to be able to match any white areas in the painting. Texture in the painting can only be implied by some amount of directional side/top lighting when the painting is photographed. That is hard to do so that the final print looks authentic and depends to some extent on how the print will be displayed.
Jay W Page

BAB

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 03:22:52 pm »

I would first confer with Mac Holbert if your really serious about selling the work...its not as easy as buying the paper but Im sure you know that!

rmh@artauthority.net
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic
Pages: [1]   Go Up