Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus E-M1 II Flair Artifacts  (Read 2065 times)

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
Olympus E-M1 II Flair Artifacts
« on: January 10, 2018, 02:00:38 am »

Has any one here noticed grid like artifacts in strong flair areas with their Olympus E-M1 II. These flair areas almost always have a degree of magenta cast. On a recent two month trip in Italy with two of these bodies I had a number of images displaying this issue, to various degrees.

The enclosed image is not a keeper but displays this issue well. The enlarged magenta flair area shows a strong grid like pattern that must be some form of sensor refection or interaction with the strong light.

This image was with the 40-150f2.8, but also seen even more with the 300f4, and with a few images on the 12-40f2.8. I do not recall any artifacts using the 7-14f2.8. The light source can be flair from the sun or even street lights. I can create the effect on demand by shooting towards a raw strobe.

So far no answer from Olympus on the issue. There are some other posts on line about this and I fear it affects all of these bodies and not fix will be forthcoming.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:39:17 pm by D White »
Dr D White DDS BSc

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: Olympus E-M1 II Flair Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 03:31:15 am »

It's all Photoshop's fault! How can you compete with one of photography's premier software products?

Lens flare, Photoshop lets you add it, probably blame graphic designers.

Cheers,

Tom Brown

degrub

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 08:22:05 am »

Has any one here noticed grid like artifacts in strong flair areas with their Olympus E-M1 II. These flair areas almost always have a degree of magenta cast. On a recent two month trip in Italy with two of these bodies I had a number of images displaying this issue, to various degrees.

The enclosed image is not a keeper but displays this issue well. The enlarged magenta flair area shows a strong grid like pattern that must be some form of sensor refection or interaction with the strong light.

So far no answer from Olympus on the issue. There are some other posts on line about this and I fear it affects all of these bodies and not fix will be forthcoming.
which lens ?
Have you tried a UV filter ? a - 2A if i remember correctly from the panny 7-14 purple blob issue.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 02:04:05 pm »

Interesting you point this out.  I had never noticed it before.  I went through my images and pulled out several that had strong backlight and heavy flaring to see if I could find this pattern. 

I did, and you are correct, it definitely is there.

However I can only notice it at 200%, and only in the heaviest areas of flare that are over darker midtones or shadow sections of the image.  I don't see it in other parts of the image.  This doesn't overly concern me as very few images I make have that strong of flaring.  Even modest flaring in my images didn't show it...it had to be strong enough to decrease contrast quite a bit.  And the fact that I can only see it when really blown up means very little in real world translation. 

I've seen similar things with fuji cameras...also medium format sensors where the stitch lines in the sensor were shown.  Lots of sensors will even reveal the on sensor phase focus point areas if you boost them with enough gain.

I can't speak to why...but its there.  Luckily it doesn't show up that often.   
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 06:02:06 pm »

On my last trip I was seeing this issue more than the first trip, even though the first trip was to Hawaii with shooting into the sun. There seems to not be a completely consistent occurrence.

But I did contact Olympus in North America which then passed on to Japan; they do acknowledge this can happen under conditions shooting into the light. They also indicate there is a filter in OV3 that removes this pattern, called "false color suppression". I tried this and it appears to work very well even on heavily effected images with no softening. More experimenting in a few days to confirm how well it works. The downside is using OV3 for conversions when LR is one's preferred work flow. But on the relatively few images this effects I guess it at least will save the day.
Dr D White DDS BSc
Pages: [1]   Go Up