Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Large Format  (Read 2104 times)

maxs

Printing Large Format
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:44:34 pm »

Now that I have the printer all setup, what is the best way for me to print?

I am using Photoshop CC (most of the time) and Lightroom (Occasionally). I shoot in RAW and use Phocus as the RAW converter.

Given I have the ICC profile of the paper active on the printer, what other things should I be aware of?

As for printing say a 40x40, do I need to do something different in the settings? Looking at doing both black and white and color.

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Alskoj

Re: Printing Large Format
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 08:15:11 pm »

What printer?

maxs

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:30:20 pm »

HP Z3200

maxs

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:34:39 pm »

One thing I have noticed and that is my lack of background in having used any other printer EVER is making me ask some stupid questions :-(

When I attach the printer to my laptop that has CC freshly installed (My Mac is on the other side of the room and the USB cable is not long enough). And I open any image (JPEG) and bring up the print dialog, I see nowhere to tell Photoshop to use XYZ paper type? Or is that obvious since the printer only has one roll of paper in it. I guess how does the printer know what preset (profile) to use to print with?

maxs

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 10:15:41 pm »

Looks like from some googling around I need to select color handling to be done by Photoshop and NOT the printer. This then allows me to pick the ICC profile I custom created (CI - BARYTA Photographique).

Can anyone validate that what I am doing is correct please?

Also what so I have to do to fix this message? "Remember to enable the printers color management in the print settings dialog box". Like where do I find this setting?

Where can I change to Document profile to a different one like sRGB 1988?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:19:07 pm by maxshafiq »

Doug Gray

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 11:11:51 pm »

Looks like from some googling around I need to select color handling to be done by Photoshop and NOT the printer. This then allows me to pick the ICC profile I custom created (CI - BARYTA Photographique).

Can anyone validate that what I am doing is correct please?

Also what so I have to do to fix this message? "Remember to enable the printers color management in the print settings dialog box". Like where do I find this setting?

Where can I change to Document profile to a different one like sRGB 1988?

The document profile listed (sRGB...) is just an echo of the color space your image is in. Not something you want to mess with now.

You can access the driver settings in "Printer Settings ..." in the printer dialog. You should select the same settings (no color management) used when you made the custom profile target sheet - Presumably from an app like ACPU? Ignore that. Looks like you used the printer to make a profile - one of the special features it has.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:20:53 pm by Doug Gray »

mearussi

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:56:24 am »

1. you want Photoshop Manages Colors
2. to get the widest color gamut always use ProPhoto RGB (you only use sRGB when you're posting a photo to the web)
3. select Black Point Compensation

then click on Print Settings at the top which will give you access to all the other settings you need to make sure are correct, such as paper type, thickness, platen gap, paper size, roll or cut sheet, etc.

Garnick

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 08:40:38 am »

Looks like the bare fundamentals have been covered here, but usually a read of the printer manual will take care of the rest.  This is not rocket science, but it does require some work on your part as well.  You have obviously done some Google searches, and that can certainly help.  However, in some cases it becomes a matter of trial and error.  I think you also need to do some reading about image file formats, what they mean and what they can accomplish when printing.  As mentioned, the sRGB format is generally only used for web based images, although I sometimes receive sRGB files for printing from someone who does not know the difference.  Of course I immediately convert to Adobe RGB before applying any adjustments or sending to print.

You mentioned that your USB cable from the Mac will not reach the printer.  That is not an issue at all, since you can purchase USB Active Extender Cables to cover the distance from computer to printer.  I use three 5M(15ft) Extender USB cables, plus a 6 foot cable to connect to the printer.  In all that's a total of 50ft.  I used this setup at my previous business location for many years with an SP9900, and I use these same cables at my home location now.  I have never experienced any cable length issues.  Perhaps that's something you might want to look at to cover the distance from your Mac to the printer.  Just a thought.
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Rand47

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 10:33:31 am »

Try the Lightroom print module!  Short, steep learning curve, but much more intuitive and visual re the layout. Combined with the ability to make presets for all the parameters for a given paper and printer, this is one of the best features of Lightroom.  You couldn’t pay me to print out of Photoshop any more. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

framah

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 12:59:45 pm »

Just a somewhat related question here:

Does Photoshop require the icc profiles to be in colorsync?

I ask because when I loaded the driver for my  Canon Pro4000, none of their profiles loaded into colorsync and now not sure about this part of the process.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

maxs

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 02:34:51 pm »

Garnick,

My bad I was meant to say Adobe RGB and not sRGB. I may have been absent minded when typing :-)

As for the cable, yes absolutely I am going to get either longer cable or extenders. Just wanted to print my first print on a new printer, you know how that goes!!!

Now that I got the basics out of the way, I will read the manuals and some good pointers to documentation Mark Linquist gave me :-)

maxs

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 02:35:53 pm »

Try the Lightroom print module!  Short, steep learning curve, but much more intuitive and visual re the layout. Combined with the ability to make presets for all the parameters for a given paper and printer, this is one of the best features of Lightroom.  You couldn’t pay me to print out of Photoshop any more. 

Rand

Gonna try Lightroom next. I like the idea of visually seeing the layout before printing...Thx

maxs

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 02:37:07 pm »

1. you want Photoshop Manages Colors
2. to get the widest color gamut always use ProPhoto RGB (you only use sRGB when you're posting a photo to the web)
3. select Black Point Compensation

then click on Print Settings at the top which will give you access to all the other settings you need to make sure are correct, such as paper type, thickness, platen gap, paper size, roll or cut sheet, etc.

Mearussi - Thank you. I did exactly that to print my first sample minus the ProPhoto RGB. I will try that next round :-)

mearussi

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 03:20:36 pm »

Mearussi - Thank you. I did exactly that to print my first sample minus the ProPhoto RGB. I will try that next round :-)
Glad it worked.
You have to select ProPhoto when first saving the raw to a tiff. If you have a sRGB file and try to convert it to ProPhoto RGB it won't work as you can't reclaim colors you've earlier thrown away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up