Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 Paper Calibration  (Read 2681 times)

maxs

Z3200 Paper Calibration
« on: January 08, 2018, 09:11:34 am »

Paper Type = Canson Baryta

Hi

Firstly thanks to all that have helped me get this far :-)

I am trying to calibrate a new paper on the Z3200 and eventually make a custom preset.

However when I enter the paper calibration menu, I have to make a selection of what I think the paper type is.

Here is my dilemma.

If I select Photo Paper I get the following options to select from including HP Baryte photo paper and Photo Baryte paper.

BTW I notice HP is using the spelling BARYTE and Carson BARYTA. Is this the same paper type? or are we talking apples and oranges here...

If I select Fine Art I get the following options:

Which option should I select??

One more angle. Carson also provide the download OMS file for their paper. Reading through the instructions they recommend once the OMS file is loaded to run a color calibration. I am assuming this last step of running the color profile checker will customize the OMS to my specific printer? Is what I just said even make sense? lol
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:16:36 am by maxshafiq »

felix5616

Re: Z3200 Paper Calibration
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:02:15 am »

Use photo paper -  HP Baryte Photo paper

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 10:07:40 am »

When did  you purchase the Canson Baryta Photographique ?  If it is a recent batch I recommend you install the Canson OMS for it, calibrate and make a new custom profile also + replace the Canson OEM one with that new profile.. All that as I think Canson is not updating their profiles enough for the changes this paper had over time.

Baryta, Baryte, Barite, BaSO4, it doesn't matter much how it is spelled and it does not give an indication whether that whitening agent is used in any significant quantity in the papers either.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

maxs

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:30:32 am »

When did  you purchase the Canson Baryta Photographique ?  If it is a recent batch I recommend you install the Canson OMS for it, calibrate and make a new custom profile also + replace the Canson OEM one with that new profile.. All that as I think Canson is not updating their profiles enough for the changes this paper had over time.

Baryta, Baryte, Barite, BaSO4, it doesn't matter much how it is spelled and it does not give an indication whether that whitening agent is used in any significant quantity in the papers either.

The paper was purchased 2 weeks ago so I am assuming the batch is fairly recent...but then again it could have been sitting around in a warehouse.

Based on my initial research this paper does not have any OBA's.

maxs

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 10:40:47 am »

Use photo paper -  HP Baryte Photo paper

Just curious why this choice? just trying to learn so that in the future I have some reference points on making decision :-)

maxs

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:35:08 pm »

One more question Ernst. I downloaded the profile from the website. Loaded it into the utility and printer rebooted. When I look at the profile it says "Calibration Status Recommended". So I ran the Color calibration and it was successful. But I am still seeing the following message with the exclamation mark. Should that not have gone away?

Also how do I create a new preset from this Canson one? If I goto Create New Profile, I am not able to select from the Additional Papers as an option to use as starting point? or did I misunderstand

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:15:47 pm by maxshafiq »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:27:02 pm »

One more question Ernst. I downloaded the profile from the website. Loaded it into the utility and printer rebooted. When I look at the profile it says "Calibration Status Recommended". So I ran the Color calibration and it was successful. But I am still seeing the following message with the exclamation mark. Should that not have gone away?

Also how do I create a new preset from this Canson one? If I goto Create New Profile, I am not able to select from the Additional Papers as an option to use as starting point? or did I misunderstand

Custom ones can only be created from the HP OEM media presets on the printer.

If there is no calibration error shown you continue to profile creation, then synchronising. Check after that whether it still shows calibration recommended.

Canson Baryta Photographique contains OBAs, whatever Canson says.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

maxs

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 06:08:48 pm »

Custom ones can only be created from the HP OEM media presets on the printer.

AH ok...I guess then I must have missed the point of downloading the OMS file :-( if I had to re-create from scratch anyway :-)

I know you had suggested to "install the Canson OMS for it, calibrate and make a new custom profile also + replace the Canson OEM one with that new profile"...I was under the impression I needed the Canson OMS as a base.

Regardless I have created a new custom ICC profile. Next got to print something :-)

Thanks for everyones help.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 03:36:32 am »

AH ok...I guess then I must have missed the point of downloading the OMS file :-( if I had to re-create from scratch anyway :-)

I know you had suggested to "install the Canson OMS for it, calibrate and make a new custom profile also + replace the Canson OEM one with that new profile"...I was under the impression I needed the Canson OMS as a base.

Regardless I have created a new custom ICC profile. Next got to print something :-)

Thanks for everyones help.

There are manuals for every part of the process. If not on the HP site anymore Mark Lindguist's pages should have them. I transferred my entire archive of things like that to him.
http://marklindquistphotography.com/HPZ3200_Repair_Notes_Mark_Lindquist_Photography.htm

For a new user of Canson Baryta Photographique on a HP Z3200 it was in my opinion the easiest way to get a suitable media preset installed. It is also put in a separate map of your driver where all HP cooperating paper manufacturer OMS files land, a custom media preset will land in another map. The differences between a media preset and an ICC print profile were explained already and the reason to add a new ICC profile instead of the Canson delivered one was also explained in my last message. I also recommend that for any Ilford OMS file you may install, the "Ilford" company of today does not deliver the same papers the old Ilford company had in production, despite similar paper names. just an advice of a HP Z diehard.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 07:18:06 am »

There are manuals for every part of the process. If not on the HP site anymore Mark Lindguist's pages should have them. I transferred my entire archive of things like that to him.
http://marklindquistphotography.com/HPZ3200_Repair_Notes_Mark_Lindquist_Photography.htm

For a new user of Canson Baryta Photographique on a HP Z3200 it was in my opinion the easiest way to get a suitable media preset installed. It is also put in a separate map of your driver where all HP cooperating paper manufacturer OMS files land, a custom media preset will land in another map. The differences between a media preset and an ICC print profile were explained already and the reason to add a new ICC profile instead of the Canson delivered one was also explained in my last message. I also recommend that for any Ilford OMS file you may install, the "Ilford" company of today does not deliver the same papers the old Ilford company had in production, despite similar paper names. just an advice of a HP Z diehard.

The most current information is on http://z3200.com

It is critical to understand that profiles based on specific paper presets come from simple printer settings established by HP originally based on profiles made from various paper manufacturers.  As Ernst stated, most, if not all the papers have changed since the original presets were created. 

HP made a chart long ago, to help determine which presets to use when creating custom ICC profiles.
Use this chart, study it carefully when making choices for which preset to use when making profiles.

http://z3200.com/Working_with_other%20Papers_HP-Z3100_z3200_Printers.htm

The workflow should always follow this pattern:

1. Create and name custom paper based on a specific paper preset from the chart list.
2. Calibrate paper (basic linearization).
3. Check “view loaded paper” from paper on printer console.  If the info suggest “Advance paper calibration required” then go to that section in the console menu and perform Advance Paper Calibration.
4. Do a refresh of the paper list in HP Utility > Paper Presets.

If you begin to experience any quality problems when printing, always check your settings first.

Then, check the following:

http://z3200.com/Maintaining_HP-Z3200_Printers-Part-2-Mark_Lindquist.htm

The main thing is, you must do your homework and don’t just ask people for help for every little thing.  Study the documents, search the web, search this forum.  You are not just printing with this printer, you are entering the realm of color managed workflow that applies to all printers and all printing.  Don’t expect people to hold your hand and walk you through this process.  Once you start figuring this stuff out for yourself, you will be well on the road to printing.  Don’t blame the equipment.  Always assume, first, pilot error.  Then look at the printer and start trouble-shooting.

Good luck -

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

maxs

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:54:11 am »

The most current information is on http://z3200.com

It is critical to understand that profiles based on specific paper presets come from simple printer settings established by HP originally based on profiles made from various paper manufacturers.  As Ernst stated, most, if not all the papers have changed since the original presets were created. 

HP made a chart long ago, to help determine which presets to use when creating custom ICC profiles.
Use this chart, study it carefully when making choices for which preset to use when making profiles.

http://z3200.com/Working_with_other%20Papers_HP-Z3100_z3200_Printers.htm

The workflow should always follow this pattern:

1. Create and name custom paper based on a specific paper preset from the chart list.
2. Calibrate paper (basic linearization).
3. Check “view loaded paper” from paper on printer console.  If the info suggest “Advance paper calibration required” then go to that section in the console menu and perform Advance Paper Calibration.
4. Do a refresh of the paper list in HP Utility > Paper Presets.

If you begin to experience any quality problems when printing, always check your settings first.

Then, check the following:

http://z3200.com/Maintaining_HP-Z3200_Printers-Part-2-Mark_Lindquist.htm

The main thing is, you must do your homework and don’t just ask people for help for every little thing.  Study the documents, search the web, search this forum.  You are not just printing with this printer, you are entering the realm of color managed workflow that applies to all printers and all printing.  Don’t expect people to hold your hand and walk you through this process.  Once you start figuring this stuff out for yourself, you will be well on the road to printing.  Don’t blame the equipment.  Always assume, first, pilot error.  Then look at the printer and start trouble-shooting.

Good luck -

Mark

Mark,

As always I am very appreciative of this forum and all its members for the invaluable advice they offer.

I guess not being from a printing background I under estimated the theoretical aspect of the learning curve. Yes you had warned me and directed me to the appropriate resources prior to me buying this printer (Thank You), and yes I will read all of them.

Can't guarantee I might still not ask a dumb question :-(

I hope that anyone in the future new to the Z3200 and searching this forum, may gain a helping hand by reviewing these forum posts :-)

Again Thanks to everyone who chipped in with there opinions/guidance.

Max
Tampa, Florida
Pages: [1]   Go Up