Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New simple solution: Problem running CS6 stand alone suite and CC on same PC  (Read 5542 times)

HCHeyerdahl

• http://

I am having trouble running applications from my stand alone CS6 Design suite when CC (Photoshop and Lightroom only) is installed on the same computer.

First attemp, I had my CS6 Design Premium suite installed on my PC.  Installing CC worked, but not the individual applications since every one was already installed in the CS6 suite.  Adobe support saiid it should work if I installed CC first.

Next attempt, I thus install CC first and the applications download and run sucessfully.  Then I installed CS6 sucessfully but if I try to run any applicaton from the CS6 suite  a Creative Cloud window opens with the text "Validating Licens Staus Online". Then a circle starts spinning and that lasts for ages an nothing more happens.  If I close the window I am asked Yes or No, and in a grayed out background I see a text that states my subscription need renewing ( as if it were a CC application).

I am running Win 7 64 bit.

Is there any solution to this ?

Is anybody sucessfully running both CS6 stand alone and CC applications on the same PC? -

Update:  I am able to use programs from the CS Design suite that are also includen in the CC photographers subscription like bridge og Photoshop.  My problem is with Idesign and Dreamweaver etc which I only have in the CS Design suite and not in the CC subscription.

Final update and conclusion:
Nobody has chimed in to claim they are sucessfully running CS6 Design stand alone suite and CC photographers plan on the same computer.

The only solution appears to be to have them on separate partitions.  Personally I have 2 separate SSDs.  One ruinning WIN 7 with CS6 Design suite and and a second SSD running WIN 10 with my CC protographers plan. I can obviously only boot from one of them and have to shut down and restart with the other SSD if i want to switch, but for me that is not really a problem.  All photos are on a separate disk that can be accessed by both OS SSDs (Windows quick start option must be disabled for this to work).

I also tried Adobe support forums, where the conclusion is to put them on separate partitions:
https://forums.adobe.com/message/10091651#10091651

If anybody has a different experience and are actually running both on the same PC - not just theory - I would love to hear about it and how you did it.

New simple solution

I was in the process of uninnstalling CC and had just logged off CC when it occured to me to try my CS apps - and low and behold they started. Ther licence was checked online (no need for serial number) and after that they worked!  Even more surprising is that they work even after logging on to CC again.

The conflict thus appears to be between the two different verification systems. I suspect that they may "arrange a new conflict" when checking verification again or updating, but now I seem to have a solution.

Sometimes a simple solution is overlooked and closer than one might think!

Chris
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:46:30 am by HCHeyerdahl »

Garnick

Re: Problem running CS6 stand alone suite and CC on same computer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:39:20 am »

I am having trouble running applications from my stand alone CS6 Design suite when CC (Photoshop and Lightroom only) is installed on the same computer.

First attemp, I had my CS6 Design Premium suite installed on my PC.  Installing CC worked, but not the individual applications since every one was already installed in the CS6 suite.  Adobe support saiid it should work if I installed CC first.

Next attempt, I thus install CC first and the applications download and run sucessfully.  Then I installed CS6 sucessfully but if I try to run any applicaton from the CS6 suite  a Creative Cloud window opens with the text "Validating Licens Staus Online". Then a circle starts spinning and that lasts for ages an nothing more happens.  If I close the window I am asked Yes or No, and in a grayed out background I see a text that states my subscription need renewing ( as if it were a CC application).

I am running Win 7 64 bit.

Is there any solution to this ?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm coming at this from the point of view of a Mac user, and I run only PS-CS6, not CC.  However, one question that comes to mind is your method of uninstalling both PS-CS6 and CC before reinstalling them.  I'm sure you did all of that correctly, but if that was not the case you could very well experience the same issues again, as you have.  There is an Uninstall app included with PS-CS6, and I imagine the same with CC.  Even if you have used those apps to perform the Uninstall in each case, I would suggest checking any folders that might still have some references to both versions of PS still hiding within.  If you do find anything, trash it and try your installs method again.  If that still doesn't work I guess it's back to Adobe and possibly Microsoft, since some bits and pieces of PS are governed by the OS. 

Gary   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:46:35 am »

When you uninstall an Adobe product it leaves a ton of stuff behind on your computer including configuration and licensing files.  When you reinstall it uses those old files so just uninstalling and reinstalling will not work.  you need to go to the Adobe site and get their CC cleaner tool to completely get rid of all that stuff, but deactivate your products first so that you don't run into any activation count issues.  then when done with that, run a registry clean with any registry cleaner ccleaner can do that easily and quickly.  If you don';t routinely do that, you are likely to have hundreds of bad registry entries.  Next reboot the machine.  Now reinstall your Adobe products and activate them.  In most cases this will fix the type of issue that you are having.

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 09:21:42 am »

When you uninstall an Adobe product it leaves a ton of stuff behind on your computer including configuration and licensing files.  When you reinstall it uses those old files so just uninstalling and reinstalling will not work.  you need to go to the Adobe site and get their CC cleaner tool to completely get rid of all that stuff, but deactivate your products first so that you don't run into any activation count issues.  then when done with that, run a registry clean with any registry cleaner ccleaner can do that easily and quickly.  If you don';t routinely do that, you are likely to have hundreds of bad registry entries.  Next reboot the machine.  Now reinstall your Adobe products and activate them.  In most cases this will fix the type of issue that you are having.

Excellent advice, and I hope Chris will follow it to the letter.  My experience with the inner workings of the Windows OS is rather lacking, as you may have noticed.  Being a Mac Man, my only Windows machine runs Windows XP for my accounting program.  If I have issues I call my go-to guy and he can walk me through the fix.  Therefore, all I could do for Chris is offer some rather rudimentary suggestions to perhaps give him a start.

I'm sure the procedures mentioned here will put Chris back on the right track.

Gary     
Gary N.

HCHeyerdahl

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 09:33:45 am »

Hi, and thanks for the suggestions.

Actually I did a complete reinstall of OS and all.

On a sidenote, is anbody actually sucessfull running both CS6 standalone and CC on the same computer?

Chris

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 10:20:30 am »

On a sidenote, is anbody actually sucessfull running both CS6 standalone and CC on the same computer?
FWIW, on Mac, not me. One or the other. Different errors but unable to install and run both.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

HCHeyerdahl

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 10:48:49 am »

Ah, that is actually really interesting. Perhaps it simply isn´t possible   :-\

Chris

Garnick

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 11:17:40 am »

Ah, that is actually really interesting. Perhaps it simply isn´t possible   :-\

Chris

I was going to ask this question initially, but forgot.  Since you are subscribing to CC, why do you need CS6?  Just wondering   :-\

Gary N.

HCHeyerdahl

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 11:22:19 am »

I only subscribe to CC for photographers (Photoshop and Lightroom).  My CS6 Design Premium has a bunch of other applications like Dreamweaver, Indesign etc. where I don´t really need the latest versions.

Chris

kjkahn

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 12:00:55 pm »

Is anybody sucessfully running both CS6 stand alone and CC applications on the same PC? -

Chris

I'm running both versions of Photoshop under Win 7 Professional 64-bit without problem. I only use CS6 for scanning, as CC doesn't recognize my scanner driver.

HCHeyerdahl

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 12:08:42 pm »

Thank´s, so I assume I should be able to acomplish it too. I have the same OS.  Just curious, what application do you use for scanning - is it part of CC too?  Second, any details on how you installed the different versions would be appreciated.

Update:  I am able to use programs from the CS Design suite that are also includen in the CC photographers subscription like bridge og Photoshop.  My problem is with Idesign and Dreamweaver which I only have in the CS Design suite and not in the CC subscription.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:09:04 pm by HCHeyerdahl »

kjkahn

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 03:09:06 pm »

Thank´s, so I assume I should be able to acomplish it too. I have the same OS.  Just curious, what application do you use for scanning - is it part of CC too?  Second, any details on how you installed the different versions would be appreciated.

Chris

Chris,
The only software I use for scanning is CS6 (32-bit) and the (Epson) scanner driver. I activate the scanner from Photoshop CS6 by clicking on File|Import|Epson Perfection 4870. That opens the driver interface. The scanned image appears in Photoshop. As I understand it, CS6 (32-bit) is compatible with the old 32-bit TWAIN driver supplied by the manufacturer of my scanner; whereas CS6 (64-bit) and CC (64-bit) are not. I assume that current scanners have drivers compatible with CC.

When CC became available by subscription, I just installed it as instructed and left CS6 intact.

Ken

HCHeyerdahl

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 03:20:57 pm »

Thanks,  I can also run photoshop from the CS Design suite.  My problem is with programs not included in my current CC photographers subscription.

Just to clarify:

Are you subscribing to the limited photographers CC ( basically Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge) or the whole CC?

Do you have other programs from your CS stand alone installed like Indesign that are not part of you current CC subscription - and if so are you able to run them?

Chris
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:05:03 pm by HCHeyerdahl »

kjkahn

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 04:24:08 pm »

(...)

Are you subscribing to the limited photographers CC ( basically Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge) or the whole CC?

Do you have other programs from your CS stand alone installed like Indesign that are not part of you current CC subscription - and if so are you able to run them?

Chris

I only have Photoshop CC, Bridge and Photoshop CS6 (and ACR).

HCHeyerdahl

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 03:17:14 am »

OK, thank you for your input and clarification!

Hopefully I get som more answers either to solve the problem or simply confirm it dos not work.

Chris

Garnick

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 08:59:47 am »

I only subscribe to CC for photographers (Photoshop and Lightroom).  My CS6 Design Premium has a bunch of other applications like Dreamweaver, Indesign etc. where I don´t really need the latest versions.

Chris

Hi again Chris,

Yes of course, I had overlooked the other apps included in the CS6 bundle.  One question though.  When you have both the CS6 bundle and the CC bundle installed, is PS-CS6 the only app you are having issues with?  In other words, are the other apps in CS6 working properly?  If the main reason for having the CS6 bundle installed is to have access to apps other than PS, then why not uninstall PS-CS6 alone, and leave the other apps in place.  Since you do have PS in your CC bundle, you don't really need it in the CS6 bundle.  Then you would still have the CS6 apps you need, and of course PS-CC as well.  I have NO idea if this would solve your problem, but it might at least be worth trying I believe.

Gary   

Gary N.

HCHeyerdahl

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 01:27:50 pm »

Hi, I am probably not clear enough (I am not native English):

"When you have both the CS6 bundle and the CC bundle installed, is PS-CS6 the only app you are having issues with?  In other words, are the other apps in CS6 working properly?"

No, it is the other way round: My problems are with the apps only in the CS6 like Indesign, Dreamwever etc.  Apps that are in both like Photoshop and Bridge work like a charm launched form both packages.

Chris

trshaner

Re: Solved: Problem running CS6 stand alone suite and CC on same computer
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 04:12:11 pm »

This is happening because your CS6 Suite with Dreamweaver and InDesign was installed under your CC Photography plan, which isn't licensed for those additional apps. You need to uninstall the CC and CS6 apps and then first install the download for your specific CS6 suite at the below link. You will then need to activate the CS6 Suite using Adobe Application Manager. Once that is completed you can install your CC Photography plan and both should work properly.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-downloads.html

Garnick

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 04:23:58 pm »

Hi, I am probably not clear enough (I am not native English):

"When you have both the CS6 bundle and the CC bundle installed, is PS-CS6 the only app you are having issues with?  In other words, are the other apps in CS6 working properly?"

No, it is the other way round: My problems are with the apps only in the CS6 like Indesign, Dreamwever etc.  Apps that are in both like Photoshop and Bridge work like a charm launched form both packages.

Chris

Your "native" English is quite acceptable.  Obviously my "native" level of concentration is NOT.  I just reread this thread, trying to figure out how I got turned around.  Although there is one reply that mentions no problem running PS in both CS6 and CC on the same computer, I cannot in all honesty use that as an excuse for my mistake.  As I understand it now, both PS-CS6 and PS-CC run without issues.  However, when you have CC installed, the CS6 apps, other that PS, will not run at all.  I think I have it right this time.  Problem is, I still don't have an answer to your problem.  Unfortunately it would seem that perhaps Adobe has shut you out of the CS6 apps that you need/want to use, in an attempt to perhaps convince you to subscribe to them in CC.  Hopefully that is not the case and there will eventually be a fix for your predicament, although no one has been able to find that "fix" yet.

Good luck with this Chris,

Gary           

Gary N.

HCHeyerdahl

Re: Solved: Problem running CS6 stand alone suite and CC on same computer
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 04:37:36 pm »

This is happening because your CS6 Suite with Dreamweaver and InDesign was installed under your CC Photography plan, which isn't licensed for those additional apps. You need to uninstall the CC and CS6 apps and then first install the download for your specific CS6 suite at the below link. You will then need to activate the CS6 Suite using Adobe Application Manager. Once that is completed you can install your CC Photography plan and both should work properly.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-downloads.html

I have tried that and unfortunately it did not work.  When CS6 is installed CC refused to download any apps because they were already installed (as if the CS6 apps were CC apps).

I have concluded it simply does not work. CS6 and CC mess each other up - se my update to the first post.

Update: I stumbeled apon a simple solution - see first post.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:47:54 am by HCHeyerdahl »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up