Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a film back on Hasselblad H3D  (Read 6240 times)

Vizzy

Using a film back on Hasselblad H3D
« on: January 05, 2018, 10:16:30 pm »

Hello,

Am looking for some assistance as I'm stumped.

I purchased a Hasselblad H3D with a 31MP back a couple of years ago which came with the original HVD 90x viewfinder. I wanted to convert this into a hybrid system and so purchased a film back (HM 16-32) and HV 90x viewfinder (for use with film backs).

The strange thing is the field of view/coverage for the two viewfinder/back combinations i.e. the HVD 90x with digital back and HV 90X with film back looks identical. I presumed that the field of view for the film back would be larger given the H3D digital sensor at 44mmx33mm is essentially cropped vs 645 film.

Am I missing something or perhaps not thinking about this the right way. Could someone help set me straight?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:54:06 pm by Vizzy »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Using a film back on Hasselblad H3D
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:20:28 pm »

Maybe i am missing something but the HVD (D for digital) is designed to give the same field of field for digital backs as HV for film. That of course depends on which digital back but if it was made for the H3d then that should be the case. If you use the HV with the film back then you will see a difference in the print.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

landscapephoto

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 01:29:19 am »

You also need to exchange the ground glass.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 06:56:01 am »

The HV90X was the original finder for film use, magnification 2.7
The HVD90X was for the "cropped sensor" digital backs and magnification 3.1
The HVX90-II was for 60 and 80MP versions of the H4D and H5D, "full frame" digital and reverted to magnification 2.7

The II designation means that the True Focus" indicator is present in the viewfinder which is not present in the original finder.

I think if you study closely you will see there is a difference but as it is from 2.7 to 3.1 it is not "in your face" different in the magnification the frame itself is still the same as defined by the drop in screen.The "ground glass" screen differences are in the frame lines for the various sensor crops they have no effect on the magnification nor on the field shown.

In the H6X literature it states: "HV 90x-II viewfinder optimised for the film and 40.2 x 53.7 mm format. The screen is an Acute Matte type D with markings for spot metering area and AF sensitive area.Optional screens with grid and/or format markings available"

Simply, the field of view remains the same whichever finder is used the magnification of the field changes. The HVD90X is perfectly usable for film, you will see the full frame as it will appear on film (almost it is not perfectly 100% non are in this range)  you do not need the extra finder you purchased to shoot film.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:06:41 am by Chris Livsey »

landscapephoto

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:32:29 pm »

I'd hate to repeat myself, but you really also need to exchange the ground glass (focussing screen). The version for the H3D has a smaller viewable area with black all around and an area which corresponds to the x1.1 sensor, the version for the film camera does not have the black. Also: the version for the H3D-31 has a rectangular marking for the smaller sensor and the black marking which corresponds to the x1.1 sensor.

The reference numbers I could find:
31 MP sensor: H-3043336
x1.1 sensor: H-3043328
film/60 MP sensor: H-3043332 or H-3043305

I am not really sure about these numbers, as Hasselblad does not publish a list of their accessories any more and everything is a complete mess at the various vendors I tried, but I am totally sure that 3 screens size exists as I have seen all 3 myself. They also exist with a grid marking.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 04:51:30 pm »

I'd hate to repeat myself,

You shouldn't, I wasn't aware that the crop screens were like that, with the mask blacked out, the only good thing is the standard screens are relatively inexpensive especially S/H. Thank you for the correction.

"Full" Screens are:

3043305 Focusing Screen HS-Standard £104.40
3043310 Focusing Screen HS-Grid  £128.40

New UK prices including our sales tax VAT.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 06:01:18 pm »

The II designation means that the True Focus" indicator is present in the viewfinder which is not present in the original finder.
Chris, your post got me really excited because I have an H4D body with an H3DII back and was wondering why I could not get the True Focus reading in the viewfinder.
More reading on the Hasselblad site revealed that the HV90x-II was only about the magnification and not the True Focus indication.
A bit more searching and I found that upgrading the Viewfinder Firmware to 2.2.0 gave me the coveted True Focus indication. Surprisingly there is no mention of this in the read me. Perhaps it was done in an earlier version. I only had V1 something.

Anyway, thanks for your post.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 02:37:02 am »

Chris, your post got me really excited because I have an H4D body with an H3DII back and was wondering why I could not get the True Focus reading in the viewfinder.
More reading on the Hasselblad site revealed that the HV90x-II was only about the magnification and not the True Focus indication.
A bit more searching and I found that upgrading the Viewfinder Firmware to 2.2.0 gave me the coveted True Focus indication. Surprisingly there is no mention of this in the read me. Perhaps it was done in an earlier version. I only had V1 something.

Anyway, thanks for your post.

That's another gotcha, where I read it didn't mention backwards firmware support. You used to be able to look at release notes for historical firmware but as pointed out a lot of the historical stuff has been ditched in the new web site. Reading past posts all links back are now broken.
Glad it prompted you to check back and what's even better it works!

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 06:32:32 pm »

That's another gotcha, where I read it didn't mention backwards firmware support. You used to be able to look at release notes for historical firmware but as pointed out a lot of the historical stuff has been ditched in the new web site. Reading past posts all links back are now broken.
Agreed. The new HB website is poorly designed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up