Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ3100 - metering on a tech cam - fastest approach  (Read 2073 times)

Zachary Goulko

IQ3100 - metering on a tech cam - fastest approach
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:49:47 am »

I'm trying to find the quickest way to get the correct exposure settings using live view and electronic shutter with an IQ3100 using a tech cam, but from what I see the only option without a meter is to guesstimate, shoot, check the histogram, and adjust the shutter speed until you get the best exposure. Is this the only option or is there a faster way than the shoot/adjust approach? I know there's an exposure calculator, but based on the manual this is for calculating long exposures only after you have the correct exposure settings dialed in.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

DP

Re: IQ3100 - metering on a tech cam - fastest approach
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:20:22 am »

I'm trying to find the quickest way to get the correct exposure settings using live view and electronic shutter with an IQ3100 using a tech cam, but from what I see the only option without a meter is to guesstimate, shoot, check the histogram, and adjust the shutter speed until you get the best exposure. Is this the only option or is there a faster way than the shoot/adjust approach? I know there's an exposure calculator, but based on the manual this is for calculating long exposures only after you have the correct exposure settings dialed in.

a smartphone with a proper app (for metering) ?

matted

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:07:43 pm »

^^ Great suggestion.

Just out of curiosity, is your aversion to meters due to cost, bulk, or workflow? If cost, there are plenty of inexpensive ambient meters which would get you very close and in my experience are every bit as (and in many cases better than) light meters built into cameras.

It is hard to beat the histogram and other useful tools on the IQ backs for judging actual exposure though... A smartphone or cheap ambient meter will get you close, but for tough scenes you will still have to shoot and adjust if you really want to nail exposure.

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 02:29:48 pm »

^^ Great suggestion.

Just out of curiosity, is your aversion to meters due to cost, bulk, or workflow?

Mainly bulk and speed. I'd like to have a compact setup, small tech cam, 1 lens, and avoiding carrying/setting up other tools. I have light meters, but I figured an advanced digital back like the IQ3100 would have some sort of exposure meter option in live view, at least to get you close as a starting point.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

matted

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 03:05:44 pm »

Gotcha. Perhaps if and when Phase works on an EVF this is the sort of feature that will come out of it. People on the Phase One User Forum have referenced submitting feature requests as support tickets as a way to get their requests noticed. I have no idea if this is something that is condoned by Phase or has ever worked in the past, but perhaps this could be an avenue to be heard?

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 07:37:38 pm »

I used to carry a light meter, but found taking it out and using it took longer than guessing. Now I have an iPhone app, myLightmeterPRO. Works great but frankly I rarely use that either! After a while you get pretty good at estimating.

I do often forget about the center filter on the sk35 and sk60, but I'd forget about that using the light meter too...
 :-[

Dave

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 07:59:28 pm »

I used to carry a light meter, but found taking it out and using it took longer than guessing. Now I have an iPhone app, myLightmeterPRO. Works great but frankly I rarely use that either! After a while you get pretty good at estimating.

I do often forget about the center filter on the sk35 and sk60, but I'd forget about that using the light meter too...
 :-[

Dave
Yes, exactly my point. I get less and less patient carrying a bunch of crap around, and it would be simpler and more accurate to do within the camera, especially if using ND filters, polarizers, etc.. Seems like a fairly easy thing to implement in live view, but maybe there are hardware limitations? I think in my case I'll stick with the guesstimate/check histogram/adjust, etc routine..
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

Graham Welland

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 09:59:02 pm »

With the IQ MFDB my approach is the same as Dave. I can guesstimate pretty accurately, especially with a technical camera where I'm almost always shooting f/8 - f/11 and then typically nail exposure on the second shot based on the histogram.

I actually use a combination of the exposure heat map and large histogram to avoid under exposing and it's definitely worth running some of your raw files through RawDigger to understand how much top end leeway you have even when the histogram looks to be clipped in the highlights.
Graham

algrove

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 12:35:03 pm »

Guesstimating is a challenge at times, but what I also use.

What color in the histogram do you all consider to be clipping? Yes, the heat map is quite informative and I keep it right beneath my histogram which is in the top position.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:21:52 am by algrove »

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 12:59:10 pm »

Lou,
I find red to be ok, white clipping. Some of that depends on the colors I am shooting. If there are a lot of reds/oranges, like fall leaves or sunsets, then I tend to be more careful and won't accept much red at all. I like some headroom for those colors during processing.

But you have the Apo don't you? I'd expect that to be a bit more sensitive.

Dave

algrove

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 06:32:09 pm »

Lou,
I find red to be ok, white clipping. Some of that depends on the colors I am shooting. If there are a lot of reds/oranges, like fall leaves or sunsets, then I tend to be more careful and won't accept much red at all. I like some headroom for those colors during processing.

But you have the Apo don't you? I'd expect that to be a bit more sensitive.

Dave

Dave

Do you mean the Achro? My lenses are just coming back from Alpa except the 150 which is an APO. I find that on the red Achro histogram is not over exposed but purple is over exposed so I don't dial back red any longer. I must check my color IQ3100 settings since they might be different.

Lou
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:22:57 am by algrove »

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 06:33:28 pm »

Yes sorry. I always get my abbreviations mixed up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up