Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum signatures  (Read 2523 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Forum signatures
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:01:40 am »

Forum signatures are now limited to 50 characters. Maybe I missed some comment on it, but was this deliberate?

John

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Forum signatures
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 06:08:06 am »

Yes. I felt that some multiple line signatures were getting out of hand. Do you find 50 characters overly limiting?
Chris

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 07:01:06 am »

Don't know. The question was prompted more by noticing others' signatures being curtailed.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:42:09 pm »

50 seems perhaps a little short?  Many of us like to use a link in our signature, and guessing a lot of those broke. I noticed mine did.

Not sure what I had before, and noticed it truncated mine to 40 characters even though 50 is allowed. I noticed John’s links still show up, but I couldn’t figure out how to include a link in m sig because typical code requires the link as well as the text to the link, so 50 would hardly ever be enough, so I just deleted it for now.

It seems arbitrary as well, example I noticed Mark Segals was truncated and useful information is not there, but BobShaw is definitely more than 50 characters and appears in tact. 

Not sure what the difference is.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:57:00 pm by Wayne Fox »

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 07:29:17 pm »

Chris,
I had the same problem Wayne did. I don't remember having a bunch of characters, just a link to my website. It got truncated. Several days ago I tried to remake it and it wouldn't take, but today it did. Weird.

I don't know that it has to be more than 50, but something was amiss while it was being implemented.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:30:35 am by dchew »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 04:20:09 am »

I noticed John’s links still show up, but I couldn’t figure out how to include a link in m sig because typical code requires the link as well as the text to the link, so 50 would hardly ever be enough, so I just deleted it for now.

I changed mine to fit 50 chars, Wayne. To create a link I just put www at the start of the url text - the system automatically converts it.

100 would seem better for most people (and did anyone notice the 20x30 pixel limit on images in the signature?). If the limit is unreasonably short, and varies from one person to another, won't people just add even longer and more intrusive signatures directly to their posts?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 01:33:34 pm »

I changed mine to fit 50 chars, Wayne. To create a link I just put www at the start of the url text - the system automatically converts it.

100 would seem better for most people (and did anyone notice the 20x30 pixel limit on images in the signature?). If the limit is unreasonably short, and varies from one person to another, won't people just add even longer and more intrusive signatures directly to their posts?
Never tried that.  Didn't imagine it would be that simple.

What can't be done now is link alternate text, for example in the signature you could put "My Online Gallery" and have that be a link to a website but the link didn't show.  With 50 characters it seems that can't be done now.

I can see where some where probably over the top but none ever really bothered me.  100 seems a more reasonable number, then you could create a little more readable link (if that is still possible)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 01:37:13 pm »

Yes. I felt that some multiple line signatures were getting out of hand. Do you find 50 characters overly limiting?
Chris
Yes.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 01:52:35 pm »

Ok - it's changed up to 100 characters. I believe it was originally something like four or five hundred.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 02:01:36 pm »

Much better, thanks!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 07:36:26 pm »

Agreed, much better.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 09:15:09 am »

Yes, it now seems a reasonable compromise.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 06:41:28 am »

The best thing about Avatars and signatures is that you can just turn them off and never see them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up