Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Darktable  (Read 3221 times)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Darktable
« on: January 03, 2018, 11:33:51 am »

So Darktable is now available for Windows, and it theoretically is capable of filling the same roles as LR.

The most recent discussion addressing it directly seems to be from 2012, which can be summarised as "colour management broken, crashes a lot."

So I installed the latest Windows version, imported some images and it seemed to do as it says on the tin during minimal tests.
There is no print module that I could see.

Has anyone used a recent version extensively, or found good reasons not to?

cllaurit

Re: Darktable
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:05:56 pm »

I have been running Darktable (on Linux) for a while now, while I won't call it a direct replacement for LR it is a decent substitute. It has a lot of functionality and color management is good although Linux still lacks good CM.

The Linux version does support printing.

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:10:00 am »

For those who don't give a darn for the DAM (:-) I'd be interested in strengths/weaknesses versus RawTherapee, the other open source raw converting champ.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:02:55 pm »

The DAM was the only reason I was looking at it rather than RawTherapee, so I can't help...

sankos

• Why matters
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 03:25:14 pm »

I've done some comparisons against Lr, C1, DxO and RT -- see this post: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60600358

Yes, darktable is a really good raw converter and the major benefit of using it over RawTherapee is localized edits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up