https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3c1gewVAhE

:-)

Rob C

Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:11:11 am »

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:21:20 pm »

One of the most simply, humorously, and emotionally told stories regarding the plight of the handicapped I've ever heard in a song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9WsX4gXyDU

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 05:27:47 am »

Double whammy: great music and a lady who had no need for "feminists" at all - if you can believe history and the script.

To me, it sort of indicates that the noisy warfare that came out of the 60s/70s created not strong women, but weak ones that were aware of but one emotional characteristic: insecurity. As I have said before, I never knew a woman of my generation who didn't know how to handle a situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjWUGJFqEmc

Incidentally, the very first scene with Peck could come right out of Sarah Moon shooting for Nova (the shot with the three faces through the small window frames).

I trust this reproduction here is okay under reference regulations, and no commercial gain intended.

;-)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:05:23 am by Rob C »

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 05:28:45 pm »

Double whammy: great music and a lady who had no need for "feminists" at all - if you can believe history and the script.

To me, it sort of indicates that the noisy warfare that came out of the 60s/70s created not strong women, but weak ones that were aware of but one emotional characteristic: insecurity. As I have said before, I never knew a woman of my generation who didn't know how to handle a situation.

It's a tricky one: how to avoid coddling without greenlighting arsehole. Not dissimilar to dealing with cancer: we can cut, burn & chemo it out, but maybe it's more effective in the long run to train our immune systems to recognize cancer cells as intruders to be got rid of. Then make that recognition something that can be inherited.

One of my (female) scientist friends insists that the most effective way to deal with male jerkitude is by refusing to breed with jerks. Keep their debased genes out of the pool. I tend to agree.

-Dave-

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 02:19:40 am »

One of my (female) scientist friends insists that the most effective way to deal with male jerkitude is by refusing to breed with jerks. Keep their debased genes out of the pool. I tend to agree.
-Dave-

As likely to succeed as keeping female jerks out of the gene pool. Maybe the best we can hope for is they breed with each other.
Though I doubt that will give the rest us any peace either.
David

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 05:28:55 am »

As likely to succeed as keeping female jerks out of the gene pool. Maybe the best we can hope for is they breed with each other.
Though I doubt that will give the rest us any peace either.
David

Yes, it has no resolution that I can imagine. It's all too complex. It can depend on education, peer situation, alcohol intake, whether transmitted signals are indeed being transmitted or simply imagined or misunderstood.

Also, I think one has to define the matter, and decide whether a wolf whistle is a possibly flattering sign of appreciation or an attack. How in hell does one manage that? By banning any interaction between people not formerly formally introduced? Even in the brief length of this conversation there have been differences pointed out in how women see the same things.

I'd think the sensible approach is down to the usual one of the sticks and stones philosophy: look and say what you like, if not rude, but better not think of touching anything. The alternative is to ignore everybody and to retreat into little personal shells even smaller than the ones we already inhabit. It would, at the very least, eventually cure global warming.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 05:31:33 am »

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 09:08:49 am »

For those who enjoy old Americana film and stills with their jazz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RrOizqRFrI

Rob

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 04:01:47 pm »

Yes, it has no resolution that I can imagine. It's all too complex. It can depend on education, peer situation, alcohol intake, whether transmitted signals are indeed being transmitted or simply imagined or misunderstood.

Also, I think one has to define the matter, and decide whether a wolf whistle is a possibly flattering sign of appreciation or an attack. How in hell does one manage that? By banning any interaction between people not formerly formally introduced? Even in the brief length of this conversation there have been differences pointed out in how women see the same things.

I'd think the sensible approach is down to the usual one of the sticks and stones philosophy: look and say what you like, if not rude, but better not think of touching anything. The alternative is to ignore everybody and to retreat into little personal shells even smaller than the ones we already inhabit. It would, at the very least, eventually cure global warming.

Well I've always felt wolf whistles and the like distasteful, but the new Victorian morality is worse. The blue stocking leaders in the US and elsewhere would reform the world after their own image. Alas these snowflakes with their sense entitlement and moral indignation have lost a sense of kindness to others. When you lose that, what you get instead is hypocrisy.
So they wouldn't dream paying the women of their servant classes a living wage. Their cleaners, restaurant staff, back room workers at Amazon. They will happily send working women across the country to the wall if it means saving a few dollars on the price of the next iPhone.

Some Australian jazz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1sq0EjuSgI
I have a collection of Graeme Bell's recordings on 78, but you don't usually find him on youtube.
David

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 02:54:07 pm »

Thanks for the link, David!

He was known to us in Scotland during the 50s. New Orleans jazz was the first real style of music I identified as different to the general stream of popular music, followed by the first exposure to the Bill Haley classic: Rock Around The Clock, which became, after a while, the overpowering influence with most of what was the youth of the times. Enter Elvis, Jerry Lee and Chuck, and N.O. jazz was pretty much done in the U.K.

Thanks again, it was a pleasure to hear and to remember the people I had in my life in those magical times.

Telecaster

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 12:03:50 am »

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 01:29:05 pm »

Here's a good piece IMO:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/meet-the-women-worried-about-metoo/20639#.Wl7YVSROmfC

-Dave-

As I wrote before, I never knew a woman who couldn't get what, or to where she wanted to be, all by herself.

There has ever been the fringes-of-sanity group in society; this is but another, possibly very dangerous one. As one of the writers mentioned, we are into trial by media and condemnation without real trial. How novel, how advanced.

And it's spreading. Steven Seagal is now accused of taking down an actress's top, whilst she was in his bedroom, supposedly "getting to know you" before a part in some production, and then starting to unzip. As she broke into tears (she recounts) he was horrified and desisted... clearly a hardened (no pun intended) rapìst.

Photographers Mario Testino and Bruce Weber are out of Condé Nast because of accusations from male models... accusations, not proven cases. And this is corpulent man on usually well-developed man at his physical peak, so where the threat of sexual violence or rape? Most of these guys could flatten either snapper at will.

Political correctness. No good will come of it - it never has yet.

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 02:50:45 pm »

I'm all for outing abusers. Doing so without falling into self-righteous excess…I'm hoping there's enough self-reflection in this situation to avoid the worst of that.

-Dave-

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 03:38:18 pm »

As I wrote before, I never knew a woman who couldn't get what, or to where she wanted to be, all by herself.

Political correctness. No good will come of it - it never has yet.

For you to speak for all women as if you know better what it takes for a woman to make it in the workplace is about as politically incorrect (and misinformed) as you can possibly get. You assume too much especially since it appears in your statements you base your assertions just on what you've observed only of the few women you've encountered in the workplace.

Rob, there's no way you've seen it all in all possible situations for women. You try working next to Brown and Root contractors as a woman living in Texas and see if you think women know their way around getting what they want in the workplace. My wife experienced so much non-sexual abuse because she was a woman around men who constantly reminded her she needed to be in the kitchen cooking and taking care of her babies that it contributed to our divorce.

It's real simple, folks!.. Whether man or woman when at work you treat everyone with respect and not as an opportunity to assert power and position over another co-worker no matter what kind of job be it contracted or full time employment.

And how did a music thread turn into the "MeTOO" thread?

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 05:12:35 pm »

At the risk of getting embroiled in something I'd rather avoid, if you reread my words I speak about "women I have known" and as I lived in countries other than your own, who knows what gives?

Of course I sound politically incorrect; I hate the ethic because it assumes the worst in everything and everyone. It's for losers, as Mr T might have said. That does not even begin to suggest that I support chauvinistic and bad-mannered male sexual behaviour which I did sometimes, if rarely, see in the pre-photography workplace I inhabited: engineering. Tell you something: some of the female machinists could teach anybody how to swear and talk dirty; quite an eye-opener for a kid just out of a good school who never wanted to be an engineer but had little choice in his particular circumstances.

In the end, nothing is set in stone, and there are as many pleasant people around in all social levels as there are those of the opposite persuasion. The social tragedy of political correctness and what it leads to is, in my mind, drawn out into public gaze by the existence of dating sites. They are a sad witness to the decline in social skills and, now that I read and hear of all these metoo folks, the only way some poor guy will ever find the nerve to ask a woman out. How bloody tragic you now need sites to do what others did with little difficulty from the year 0. How strange to have to live in fear of being nice to a member of the opposite sex unless she marks her ground by registering on the Internet to say so.

Thank God I lived most of my life in saner times.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 07:35:38 pm »

As usual you deflected and diluted the seriousness of my point and reduced it to something as small and simple as dating do's and don't's and then blame political correctness as the culprit for the misunderstanding and overreach.

You see I was in the dark as well about my situation with my wife during the mid '80's seeing it as just an isolated incident: [THAT IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT]. But now I saw how many women (and men) in the MeToo movement came forth and made a stand that suggested this is far more prevalent (almost expected behavior of men in power) and thus hidden from society because people's livelihoods counted on it remaining in the dark.

The livelihoods of the perps and the tons of money they'ld lose if found out about was far more important to protect. It's not enough these guys made plenty of money, they also needed to degrade and take the dignity away from these women. And we're not talking about knee touching or making a pass as some dating protocol faux pas.

We're talking about blatant intimidation if the victim complained. Why did this go on so long?... BECAUSE EVERYONE KNEW OR ASSUMED IT WAS JUST AN ISOLATED INCIDENT! NOT ENOUGH EVIDENCE! NOT ENOUGH WITNESSES! Guaranteed complacency toward victimization in order to go along and not cause trouble. One person's word against powerful and well known men. KEEP IT ISOLATED!

What's the big deal?! Someone's dignity is worth what? Who cares. Walk it off. You'll heal. NOT ANYMORE!

Those men need their money taken from them and anyone else that does this to women because it's not an isolated incident. We now know this!

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 04:01:44 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7fm7QTXZKo&feature=related

Great, especially when it coincides with my doing the dishes!

Shame men still need and write these sorts of lyrics... I thought the modern caveman had resolved all that, or so the sisters seem to suggest.

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 11:53:35 am »

Summer, 1957. Ann and I were stitting havng a coffee in a bar in Naples, waiting for my mother to pick us up en route to Amalfi. I got up, wandered over to the jukebox to play something romantic: Send me some lovin'; this came on. They'd loaded it wrong way around... just another of life's little surprises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Ujb6lJ_mM

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 05:03:51 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up