Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your #1 wish for manufacturers in 2018?  (Read 73274 times)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: What is your #1 wish for manufacturers in 2018?
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2018, 09:49:43 am »

1. Because unlike film, which had a genuine, physical roll-off in the highlights, digital sensors have a "correct" exposure. That exposure is the highest exposure consistent with not clipping any individual channel, modulo the complication of specular highlights (which I'll discuss below). Coming from a physics background, I just want to be able to expose my sensor optimally, and in the vast majority of situations there actually is an optimal exposure choice.

But maybe not, if the scene is such that the luminosity has a long right-tail. If you expose for the specular highlights, you will under-expose the rest.
There is still a degree of artistic and technical choice available.

Although in truth, it will probably still be fine, given how outrageously wide the margin for error is with 13+ bit DR... :)

BJL

What is your #1 wish for manufacturers in 2018? raw histogram vs EVF blinkies
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 03:15:27 pm »

I would think that for maximizing exposure and thus DR without blowing (non-specular) highlights, an indication in the VF of if and where any channel will be clipped would be more useful than looking at histograms: "blinkies" only at specular highlights could be ignored, for example.

HywelPhillips

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 05:27:24 am »

On this point I will concur - properly implemented clipping indicators for highlights (and shadows) with channel-by-channel blinkies overlaid on the shot and traffic lights or "goal posts" showing number of clipped or close-to-noise-floor pixels, a la RED,  would be more useful than just the RAW histogram on its own.

Cheers, Hywel

Telecaster

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 02:59:16 pm »

bobtrlin

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2018, 09:17:39 pm »

Bring back DOF scales on all lenses where it's practical to do so.  Alternatively, somehow provide the information in the viewfinder perhaps with the provision of pre-selecting a desired circle of confusion.  My aging eyes simply aren't good enough to determine critical focus in the viewfinder.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2018, 09:18:43 pm »

Bring back DOF scales on all lenses where it's practical to do so.  Alternatively, somehow provide the information in the viewfinder perhaps with the provision of pre-selecting a desired circle of confusion.  My aging eyes simply aren't good enough to determine critical focus in the viewfinder.

This problem will mostly be fixed with mirrorless bodies, won't it?

Cheers,
Bernard

bobtrlin

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2018, 10:02:03 pm »

This problem will mostly be fixed with mirrorless bodies, won't it?

Cheers,
Bernard
Not at all.  I shoot mirrorless exclusively.  Getting DOF right is every bit an issue it ever was.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up